• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Help with BDC PAy

thunder8671

Full Sticker + Prep
Aug 22, 2012
First Name
Marketing Manager
Hi everyone. I work for a 2 brand store. It is currently me and another internet coordinator. We are paid $400 a week before tax, $10 for every appointment that shows and at tier system for cars sold (ex 1-12 cars sold is $25 per car 12-18 is $30 etc.) We do not actually sell the cars we hand off to a sales consultant who sells the cars for us. I myself handle all social media, craigslist post, website, SEO, and make videos to put on websites. Should I ask to restructure my pay? Do you guys think its a fair plan? Please help. Thanks in advance

I think your pay plan is fair. You work it right you could make 30K. Don't like your pay plan, then find a new job. How easy are jobs to come by in your area?

Jerry, I'm sure that you know the prevailing wage for people in a BDC. Looking at all of the other tasks that Chris performs, I would be looking for a business that was interested in that skill set or moving into sales.

There is a reason that I have always worked on commission.

This is pretty much what ours was for the BDC reps: $10/hr then we would pay $20 for each post and $10 (might have been $5) if it sold. Reason we paid more for post as opposed to if the car sold is because we had a "credit issue" at our store. Big on the special financing.

So if you are handling all the "internet stuff". Then no, I don't think it's fair at all. I really think that you should work on providing how much business you are bringing in with the online marketing. Could be as simple as getting a couple tracking numbers (which I'm sure you already have?) and see how many of them actually come into the store and bought. Obviously, there's much more detail of which a lot of people in this forum can help with, but it's somewhere to start.

Oh, who do you report to? Do you have a BDC Manager or is it just straight to one of the sales managers?

btw - There's plenty of opportunity in central and north jersey if you are down for relocating or possibly just a long commute. They would love your experience and can probably pay you much better along with a boosted title :)

Blake, where have you been? I haven't seen any posts lately. You aren't wearing one of those ankle bracelets?

Fighting the man takes it's toll Doug, I haven't had much free time lately. My downfall seems to be that I still believe I can make a difference. Don't worry, I'm sure i'll get burned out soon. I just got out of the hospital for chest pains and shortness of breathe. After a cat scan, chest xray and blood work labs the Whitecoats said that it was probably just stress. They suggested that I take sometime off of work to recooperate from 'the exhaustion that I've put myself through', to which I replied ... "Wyatt, I have not yet begun to defile myself." They didn't understand the quote, not Tombstone fans I guess.

Anyways...I'm still here. Just busy.
Dealer.com keeps stealing our lead contributors, dealerremay need to file an antitrust case against them.

Blake, it's a marathon, not a sprint. I understand, I'm built the same way. I always left for lunch and usually took a different ISM with me. I left and didn't care if the place was burning down. That amount of time away, paid dividends. I had a legal pad that I prioritized my day. As I completed something, I marked it off my list. As best as I could, I didn't allow the minor distractions to take me off course. I knew exactly what I wanted to accomplish going into the month with written goals. It helps.
You have to take care of yourself. No job is worth your health. Stress doesn't help your productivity and it makes you hard to be around. I love the car business but this job can kill you.

I noticed that one of my guys didn't look right. He said he didn't feel good. I took him straight to my doctor. The doctor told him that if he didn't take his blood pressure medicine and back off, he would be dead in five years. He had just turned 40. He didn't make it three. He was the best salesperson that I have ever met and he banked most of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person