• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How Important Do You Consider Quality Copywriting?

Dane Saville

Grease Monkey
Jan 31, 2018
First Name
Dane
A topic about content in another thread got me to thinking about this.

There are some longstanding, effective tenets of good copywriting that dealerships and their agency partners still break.

How important is quality copywriting to your dealership?

Do you think there's a lack of education on this topic in automotive? Or is there something else that has us still a little behind. And, for the record, it's not just automotive either. Perhaps it's a small business issue across all verticals.

Thoughts?

I appreciate you all!

I think a lot of it has to do with "blog content farms" that pumped out content just to put keywords on the site, rather than engaging content, thus making dealers gun shy to "do that again".

We have seen a nice lift in organic once we started working with a local company to help me with writing, so I can focus on other things.

I think a lot of it has to do with "blog content farms" that pumped out content just to put keywords on the site, rather than engaging content, thus making dealers gun shy to "do that again".

We have seen a nice lift in organic once we started working with a local company to help me with writing, so I can focus on other things.

Thanks for your reply, Chris. Yeah, content farms are, unfortunately, not limited to automotive either. I'm glad that you're getting the help you need in that area so you can focus your energies elsewhere.

Copywriting is an art for sure. I'm exploring this big time for my business.

I think there's a lack of education for sure. Some marketing managers handle the topic well enough, but only the top ones. Copywriting should also be at the forefront of BDCs and internet sales associates.

Copywriting is also a struggle for agencies hiring junior campaign managers. I can only share my experience, as I was managing over 5 million in ads at 23 years old with no copywriting skills. Thank god I was not doing creative work too :D

Reactions: Dane Saville
I think good copywriting is whats going to set you apart in the industry right now, especially when it comes to internet leads.

Customers expect a lot out of every industry, and your online presence is what's going to ste you apart. One mistake in your writing will trip people up, and thats not what you want to do.

I could be a little biased though - I'm a freelance writer as well ;)

Hint: If you see the little mistakes on this post, then you know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Dane Saville