• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I just SOLD a car - USING TEXT ONLY

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
From time to time I’ll flip the switch on our CRM, allowing myself to be assigned a few internet leads for the day. Last week, within minutes I was assigned a lead for a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz.

A really nice, well equipped 2013 GLK SUV. Priced right with fresh photos and a typed description by yours truly :cool:

My first response back was simple; letting the potential customer know that ...I had received her request and had some additional information on that particular vehicle that I would like to send her. How would she like for me to send her this information – email, phone call or text?

She responded with “text is best since she was traveling for work."

I proceeded to send her the additional information on the GLK, by text message.

She informed me of her trade-in with a pay off and the previous financing being through the manufacturer. I asked for, and she sent me the information on her trade-in, by text.

Since her trade-in was a Mercedes-Benz, I had the advantage of utilizing the internal MB Netstar program - accesses to previous service records, the VMI and original window sticker. With this information I was able to pull the CarFax and perform an appraisal sight unseen. I worked an exact number for her trade-in, pending a live inspection.

With this information, I desk’d/penciled the deal (first pass), printed the pencil / payment worksheet displaying the different payments and terms. I took a photo of this first pass Pencil worksheet and sent it to her, by text.

In addition to sending her the worksheet, afterwards I walked out to the GLK and took a photo of me standing in front of it – “She’s looking forward to her new owner” was the message I included in the text.

Upon her review of the worksheet, by text, she informed me that she was looking for a slightly different payment. My response being the only way we can proceed is to get an accurate payoff of her trade-in and credit approval. She called MB Financial Services for the payoff while I sent her the link to our online credit application, by text.

I received approval for her requested finance terms, sharpened my pencil just a bit more - reworked the deal with solid numbers, took a photo of the finalised worksheet and sent it to her….by text.

Her reply by text, “let’s do it, when can I pick my GLK up?”
My response by text, “when can you be here?”

Meanwhile, she sent me a photo of her drivers’ license and insurance information. I responded with directions to the dealership (she lives over an hour away), and how? ...you guessed it, by text.

That evening her and her son arrived. I reviewed her trade-in to be sure my sight unseen appraisal was where it needed to be while she got in and out of the GLK, never taking it out for a test drive. This was the FIRST NON TEXT communication we've had up to this point.

She was quickly in and out of the F&I Box since we had most all of the paperwork completed through our text communications - but NOT after purchasing the Manufacturer's Extended Warranty.

She was utterly blown away by how easy it was to purchase this GLK. "The best experience she has ever had."

Before she left, we took a photo of her and her new GLK using DealerRater's mobile app LotShot (btw, my sales people LOVE LotShot). We sent it to her by text - she returned a glowing review.

We made a fair profit on that GLK, but more importantly he made an EXTREMELY HAPPY customer that was able to communicate using the channel she most desired to use most - Text.

Jeff -- curious -- was this text/MMS exchange conducted via your CRM (or similar, secure service) or your personal device?
Good question - I was wondering the same thing. The limitations of texting within a CRM (at least most I've seen) is that there is only text, no MMS - pictures, video, etc. This is the reason why all of our reps tend to use their personal device to text with customers, because 90% of their text conversations include pictures & video.

We made a very fair profit on that GLK, but more importantly he made on hell of a happy customer that was able to communicate using the channel she most desired to use most - Text.
That's slick Jeff! Most shoppers prefer texting because you can do it anywhere.

Makes me wonder why every sale can't be this easy for the customer... How long did that delivery take?

There are some dealers out there that have a cradle-to-grave sales process, where everyone on the floor is a manager dealing with customers, and handling desking, finance, appraisals. It's an interesting concept, would be a great way to streamline the shopping experience.

Jeff -- curious -- was this text/MMS exchange conducted via your CRM (or similar, secure service) or your personal device?

I KNEW this someone was going to ask me this. Of course it would be you @JQuinn ... :beer:

Despite having not just ONE, but THREE different texting solutions available (eLeadCRM, CarCode w/ Edmunds, CarNow Chat & Text), I conducted this text communication using my own personal device. Allow me to shame myself before anyone else does.

I didn't even think about it, didn't have that "oh shit" moment until the very next day.

Good question - I was wondering the same thing. The limitations of texting within a CRM (at least most I've seen) is that there is only text, no MMS - pictures, video, etc. This is the reason why all of our reps tend to use their personal device to text with customers, because 90% of their text conversations include pictures & video.

You're right. Many texting solutions are light on features and force you to use a web interface when using your phone (if it's even available) and many of those do not support MMS (pictures, video, etc.) But most of all it's due to ease and habit. Like I said, I didn't even think about it - despite the many conversations we've had right here around texting laws and TCPA.

All 3 of the texting solutions that were at my disposal are great products/features and serve their purpose well, but none of them would have allowed for the fluent text communication I had with this customer. How could they?

That's slick Jeff! Most shoppers prefer texting because you can do it anywhere.

Makes me wonder why every sale can't be this easy for the customer... How long did that delivery take?

2 Days - but only because the customer was in the middle of travel. Which makes it even sweeter because had we not had text communication, that's a good chance the deal would have never happened.

You're right. Many texting solutions are light on features and force you to use a web interface when using your phone (if it's even available) and many of those do not support MMS (pictures, video, etc.)

We have Carcode as well and when a customer requests that I text them pics, I'll upload them using Google Photos, create an album ("Betty and Bob's new Hyundai"), share that album, and text the link. I like Google but you could easily do this with a number of different solutions like Dropbox for example. I've done the same with walkarounds and video apt confirmations via YouTube.

This gets around having to worry about any litigation as well as providing a solution for those that do not want to give up their personal cell phone (a large number of BDRs are female...).

Reactions: TomLaPointe
We have Carcode as well and when a customer requests that I text them pics, I'll upload them using Google Photos, create an album ("Betty and Bob's new Hyundai"), share that album, and text the link. I like Google but you could easily do this with a number of different solutions like Dropbox for example. I've done the same with walkarounds and video apt confirmations via YouTube.

This gets around having to worry about any litigation as well as providing a solution for those that do not want to give up their personal cell phone (a large number of BDRs are female...).

Sounds like a lot of work @BHavican. You're willing to put that kind of work and effort into it but I don't see the average sales rep doing that. Heck, I don't think I would want to do that much work for a quick text message.

It there a better solution?

Sounds like a lot of work @BHavican. You're willing to put that kind of work and effort into it but I don't see the average sales rep doing that. Heck, I don't think I would want to do that much work for a quick text message.

I have an Android and my photos are automatically backed up to Google Photos. On Google Photos, I can click the images and create an album, takes 15 seconds. Then I can share a link to it, can copy and paste the link to Carcode and send, maybe an extra minute?

I'm sure the average rep wouldn't do that, but that's why great managers like you, me, and the rest of Refreshers hire, train, and motivate exceptional reps right? :)

Bottom line though, you're right, it's a little extra work but it's also free, legal, and my reps don't have to give out their phone number (I know it sounds silly but I've had reps have to put up with some ridiculous stuff over the years). If there's another free, legals, and safe solution I'd love to hear it!

It there a better solution?
Always great to hear success with communication via text. If you are unaware, MMS is available in some of the latest CRM platforms. Some even can do emojis at the desktop. Sounds funny, but those little feature drive sales people to use CRM even more. Text is always a scare & CRMs should have an opt in permission available. I have seen business rules get set up to ALWAYS send the opt permission in for sales to protect the dealership. That success is testimonial on how technology can improve dealership performance and enhance the customer's experience.

I KNEW this someone was going to ask me this. Of course it would be you @JQuinn ... :beer:

Despite having not just ONE, but THREE different texting solutions available (eLeadCRM, CarCode w/ Edmunds, CarNow Chat & Text), I conducted this text communication using my own personal device. Allow me to shame myself before anyone else does.

I didn't even think about it, didn't have that "oh shit" moment until the very next day.

You're right. Many texting solutions are light on features and force you to use a web interface when using your phone (if it's even available) and many of those do not support MMS (pictures, video, etc.) But most of all it's due to ease and habit. Like I said, I didn't even think about it - despite the many conversations we've had right here around texting laws and TCPA.

All 3 of the texting solutions that were at my disposal are great products/features and serve their purpose well, but none of them would have allowed for the fluent text communication I had with this customer. How could they?

2 Days - but only because the customer was in the middle of travel. Which makes it even sweeter because had we not had text communication, that's a good chance the deal would have never happened.

I use mysms.com. It is free. It works on desktop and mirrors your phone so when you send a text from desktop it records on mobile and vice versa. YOu can copy paste send photo attachments Rename numbers to the name and car the are looking for. I make 2000 calls a month and probably set as am appts via text as by phone. The reason I like desktop texting is because I might have 75 conversations at one time, typing on desktop is faster, and it is easier to see. Also allows me to browse from the bottom to catch on on threads I have dropped with ease. I can copy and past messages into my crm if they are important. I can log in to any computer and my whole directory and history is there. If you pay something you can have the feature or resurrecting deleted threads. I upgraded to pay account but have not used that feature.

I do not work for mysms..I work at a dealer as marketing manager among other things