• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I just SOLD a car - USING TEXT ONLY

@Jeff Kershner - I'm curious....did you use language and techniques that resemble a traditional phone call? Did you actively work toward getting her in the store? Were you consciousness of treating the shopper as a text lead vs phone or walk in?

We're at an interesting point where texting skills and techniques are important. We've spent years talking about the phone and walk ups, but the need for rock solid texting skills is officially here.

Background and disclosure: My company now offers a solution that allows customers to text message a call tracking phone line. The key piece is that the customer initiates the conversation. They text the tracking line first. We have immediately found that the most texted tracking lines are:

1. The tracking line that appears when a dealership places a tracked outbound call.
2. The website sales line.

Number one is especially interesting. Imagine you call a prospect, miss them, and don't leave a message. Seconds later, you get a text message that says "Who is this?"

@Jeff Kershner - In that very specific instance, what would you say?

Second disclaimer: I had a text conversation (ironic, huh?) with Jeff K about this and he found it to be a really good subject. He recommended I post. My intention isn't to pitch!

@Jeff Kershner - Congrats on the sale! It's amazing to see the trust that is built with text messages. The first car sold through our platform was a brand new Jaguar X Type, with no interaction other than text messages - the car was paid for and shipped within 8 hours of text messages. Also I don't blame you with having to login to respond or contact a customer, no wonder you used your own phone ;).

@BHavican - Hate to shamelessly plug our platform in here, but the Textstr platform actually does support SMS/MMS along with files such as PDFs or sell sheets to be easily attached.

@Jeff Kershner - I'm curious....did you use language and techniques that resemble a traditional phone call?

That's a good question Mike. The language is different. Limited space (characters) to be effective. There's no room for small talk, each word counts so your message gets right to the point. You're forced to be concise yet not robotic. Text carries no emotion or tone, aside from using emoticons - though often viewed as unprofessional, I believe can be effective when utilized properly. Use your phone's camera to your advantage. The right imagery can be persuasive and informative.

Ones technique is usually led by the desired outcome. The desired outcome of the traditional sales/phone call is (should be) to schedule an appointment. Should a scheduled appointment be the desired outcome of the initial text conversation? Or should it be nothing more than a bridge speaking with the customer by phone... to schedule an appointment?

Did you actively work toward getting her in the store?

My goal in this particular instance, was to accomplish/complete as many steps towards the purchase as possible by whichever channel the customer felt most comfortable with. The more we accomplish together, the higher the likelihood we do do business together.

That's a good question Mike. The language is different. Limited space (characters) to be effective. There's no room for small talk, each word counts so your message gets right to the point. You're forced to be concise yet not robotic. Text carries no emotion or tone, aside from using emoticons - though often viewed as unprofessional, I believe can be effective when utilized properly. Use your phone's camera to your advantage. The right imagery can be persuasive and informative.

Ones technique is usually led by the desired outcome. The desired outcome of the traditional sales/phone call is (should be) to schedule an appointment. Should a scheduled appointment be the desired outcome of the initial text conversation? Or should it be nothing more than a bridge speaking with the customer by phone... to schedule an appointment?

My goal in this particular instance, was to accomplish/complete as many steps towards the purchase as possible by whichever channel the customer felt most comfortable with. The more we accomplish together, the higher the likelihood we do do business together.

That's interesting and helpful. You're on to something with making the customer feel comfortable in the conversation. If that train is moving forward, you're working well together, and puzzle pieces are fitting, just make it your mission to keep doing that!

Should the text work to schedule an appointment or just be the bridge to the phone?

Wonderful question. Your post (and my comments just now) seem to indicate it's good practice to nurture the conversation as much as possible. I do think, however, that bridging the text to phone call can be important in getting to the next step. Sometimes, the information and questions are just too much to answer via text. I find myself in text conversations that eventually result in a "Let me call you real quick to explain."

That's interesting and helpful. You're on to something with making the customer feel comfortable in the conversation. If that train is moving forward, you're working well together, and puzzle pieces are fitting, just make it your mission to keep doing that!

Should the text work to schedule an appointment or just be the bridge to the phone?

Wonderful question. Your post (and my comments just now) seem to indicate it's good practice to nurture the conversation as much as possible. I do think, however, that bridging the text to phone call can be important in getting to the next step. Sometimes, the information and questions are just too much to answer via text. I find myself in text conversations that eventually result in a "Let me call you real quick to explain."

From my experience, if you're providing a great text experience and you have taken the time to build some rapport - as the conversation goes down the direction where a phone call is needed, it's rare for the customer to deny your request. But again, think outside of the box and utilize imagery and video to get as much of the conversation complete via text.

I KNEW this someone was going to ask me this. Of course it would be you @JQuinn ... :beer:

Despite having not just ONE, but THREE different texting solutions available (eLeadCRM, CarCode w/ Edmunds, CarNow Chat & Text), I conducted this text communication using my own personal device. Allow me to shame myself before anyone else does.

I didn't even think about it, didn't have that "oh shit" moment until the very next day.

LOL :) I think it's humble to view yourself as the problem in this situation, but I blame the tech. Mark Zuckerberg said he watched how users "abused" Facebook in the early days as an opportunity to learn what their goals were and then build tools to meet those needs... and it's clear there is a big unmet need here.

In my opinion there are a few key problems with existing Auto SMS tools...
1) Robotic - The first SMS they send to users is usually a robotic/legal invitation to opt out... something like... "XYZ motors would like to text you is that ok, reply yes, stop or help"
2) Odd Numbers - The SMS often come from a short code which puts off customers because it's impersonal/weird. Also not using a regular local local phone numbers makes it cumbersome for you or the customer to just call if/when that's appropriate.
3) Too Fast or Too Slow - The SMS is often automated so it comes immediately after they signup (robotic), or it must be initiated manually and then may be sent too long after the inquiry...or not at all. (The Harvard Business Review article entitled "The Short Life of an Online Sales Lead" indicates that quick response to a leads can improve the odds qualifying the customer by nearly 700%. Our data shows 4 minutes is the sweet spot for being quick but not creepy.)
4) Hard to Use - Many of the tools are cumbersome to use and/or don't have mobile apps that allow easy access on the go

So yeah, I'd recommend you pick up your phone and text customers guilt free. The VAST majority of them are going to appreciate it... a few won't... and that's fine. You're not going to get in trouble for the kind of SMS communication you're describing here... I know because (shameless plug) I am the CEO of a company that hosts this kind of conversational sales communication for dealerships nationally that include Lexus, Toyota, Volkswagen and many independents (see screen shot of a conversation below - partially redacted for privacy).

Selling cars via SMS is becoming more common but there are some risks and misconceptions about it... but I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll start another one about that specifically.

Cheers!

upload_2017-1-4_17-18-4.png

Last edited:
From time to time I’ll flip the switch on our CRM, allowing myself to be assigned a few internet leads for the day. Last week, within minutes I was assigned a lead for a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz.

A really nice, well equipped 2013 GLK SUV. Priced right with fresh photos and a typed description by yours truly :cool:

My first response back was simple; letting the potential customer know that ...I had received her request and had some additional information on that particular vehicle that I would like to send her. How would she like for me to send her this information – email, phone call or text?

She responded with “text is best since she was traveling for work."

I proceeded to send her the additional information on the GLK, by text message.

She informed me of her trade-in with a pay off and the previous financing being through the manufacturer. I asked for, and she sent me the information on her trade-in, by text.

Since her trade-in was a Mercedes-Benz, I had the advantage of utilizing the internal MB Netstar program - accesses to previous service records, the VMI and original window sticker. With this information I was able to pull the CarFax and perform an appraisal sight unseen. I worked an exact number for her trade-in, pending a live inspection.

With this information, I desk’d/penciled the deal (first pass), printed the pencil / payment worksheet displaying the different payments and terms. I took a photo of this first pass Pencil worksheet and sent it to her, by text.

In addition to sending her the worksheet, afterwards I walked out to the GLK and took a photo of me standing in front of it – “She’s looking forward to her new owner” was the message I included in the text.

Upon her review of the worksheet, by text, she informed me that she was looking for a slightly different payment. My response being the only way we can proceed is to get an accurate payoff of her trade-in and credit approval. She called MB Financial Services for the payoff while I sent her the link to our online credit application, by text.

I received approval for her requested finance terms, sharpened my pencil just a bit more - reworked the deal with solid numbers, took a photo of the finalised worksheet and sent it to her….by text.

Her reply by text, “let’s do it, when can I pick my GLK up?”
My response by text, “when can you be here?”

Meanwhile, she sent me a photo of her drivers’ license and insurance information. I responded with directions to the dealership (she lives over an hour away), and how? ...you guessed it, by text.

That evening her and her son arrived. I reviewed her trade-in to be sure my sight unseen appraisal was where it needed to be while she got in and out of the GLK, never taking it out for a test drive. This was the FIRST NON TEXT communication we've had up to this point.

She was quickly in and out of the F&I Box since we had most all of the paperwork completed through our text communications - but NOT after purchasing the Manufacturer's Extended Warranty.

She was utterly blown away by how easy it was to purchase this GLK. "The best experience she has ever had."

Before she left, we took a photo of her and her new GLK using DealerRater's mobile app LotShot (btw, my sales people LOVE LotShot). We sent it to her by text - she returned a glowing review.

We made a fair profit on that GLK, but more importantly he made an EXTREMELY HAPPY customer that was able to communicate using the channel she most desired to use most - Text.
This is interesting and makes total sense. Why not? It's a simple and effective method for communicating. IMO females prefer texting even more than males, but I could be wrong.