• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I love what I do, but it is so f-ing stressful.

Hey DR community.. an ironic update:

My father passed away in April of a heart attack -- aside from health issues that were known, he was stressed to sh*t running this used car dealership. While my mother is grieving, getting used to being independent and going through corporate ownership change, I'm currently administrating the dealership as opposed to doing the internet marketing. I'm pretty much only taking photos of cars, uploading them, making Craigslist templates, pricing vehicles, the usual spotlighting, etc. I haven't really turned back to the Internet Dept full-time since, as now I'm collecting money and yelling at my F&I manager about waiting 4 weeks for a deal to get funded. People left and tried taking advantage of the dealership. Some management quit. A strong staff, but lead ratio is weaker, and our customers just get sh*ttier. Had plans to go all out with a full internet marketing strategy in April and then he died that weekend we discussed it.

Now I see why my dad flipped all the time. The money is there, in some ways, however, it doesn't seem like it's worth the health risks. Waiting on deals to be funded, titles my father never had of cars we recently sold, mistakes made by the mechanics, sales tax every month, check after check after check out and when you think you have a break its payroll day, etc....

We're buying better cars that sell to our demographics, in-housing some wholesale cars, and things seemed to pick back up (the first couple of months were going through a full week of being closed, figuring out what the hell me and my family are going to do with the business, not buying cars, trying to sell our bhph deals, employees bolting). But sales have dropped by 10-12 cars per month since he passed, and I'm starting to feel that my fulltime 40 hour a week internet marketing position was beneficial to getting more units out.

RIP One Man Internet Department

I trust the value of the DR community. Every merchandising tips, every SEO microsites, every reputation management strategy, every email marketing campaign, I have utilized and applied, and that pulled those extra units per month. Now i'm struggling with even uploading inventory because of the timing.

Time to learn the art of delegation and automation. Any consulting advise or referrals are appreciated. Thank you all.

Running a business is not easy. Sounds to me like you need to develop some good business practices and make sure people adhere to what you expect of them. Lay down the law, those who don't comply need to go. Before you go out and start procuring things to make your life easier, make sure you execute the first advice I gave you. Adding shinny objects to your store will do nothing if people won't execute. Be a general and command with authority! You also have to earn the respect of your employees. If that means you have to work 80 hours per week, then do so! Good Luck!

Sorry to hear about your dad, that has to be tough on your family. Now make your dad proud and grow the business. The harder you work the more you will be rewarded!

Reactions: 1 person
I work in a store that has been trending up for years, but we had some scatter brained management turnover mid last year, and we've been trending down every since. I stumbled on this thread today, and it re-affirmed a core belief of mine. Joe Pistell is a saint and a genius.

Just kidding Joe. But what you say about team sport and lazy managers isn't a motivational speech. Its my life the last few months.
Its good to know its not just me.

Richard,

Chances are your old manager has landed in a new store AND he's missing you too! If I were you, i'd chase down that manager and have a talk :)

Eag,

Here are the facts.

Marketing is not sales and sales is not marketing.
You are in marketing, they are in sales.
The REAL question is what have the managers done with all the new biz you brought in.

Dont tell me, i already know.. they've made no changes what so ever.

you put out all this effort to create new leads... And the sales don't go up.

Why?

Because they suck.
Because they are lazy.
Because they need to be half as interested in making more sales as you do.

Marketing makes the phone ring.
Sales managers make the register ring.

Fat and happy sales reps and who have fat and happy managers work only until they fill their belly, then they coast until they get hungry, then they get hustling again.

Result?

You can work your ass off, sales stay the same.

note for your desk...
CAR SALES IS A TEAM SPORT.

you may be an all star, but if your team mates are happy with playing in the minor leagues, your on the wrong team.
Sorry, I know it's your dads place, but the facts are the facts.

Also, your ad costs per vehicle sold should be far less than with old media.

Lastly, the average dealer turns their inventory 6times per year. Look at your numbers. It all fits. You need MORE INVENTORY to sell more cars.

Summary: Its not you, Your old man has to WANT to sell more because selling cars is a team sport!