• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I prefer ISMs working cradle to grave

Insight from under the rock...

I still have to handle every chat and send every e-mail (new & fu's) in my ILM (and for anyone in the building), but I CAN NOT talk to the customers on the phone or floor, save extreme circumstances--that is the responsibility of my dedicated salesman (formerly leads were handled selectively on the open floor yet e-mailed by me). All inbound calls, regardless of origin, go directly to the floor.
This new process just finished it's first month and we saw >50% drop in “internet sales” (well, after I dig through the paper log I might find a few more that were snagged on the floor)

Next month “Cyber Kelly’s” Internet Team will be merging with “Special Mark’s” Finance Team…I’ll check back to let you know how that goes.

I have to get back to my afterhours site changes and graphics…

At least there’s wine under the rock!

And Doug, if we all used John’s interview process, I wouldn't “Cyber Kelly,” just head of the class.

Kelly, I have been to your website and have seen the amount of work that you have put into it.

Wow, 50% drop in internet sales.

I'd be focused on the reports section of the CRM. I visited a old friend's store. Looking at his CRM reports, he had a salesperson with 58 leads with zero appointments and sales. Somebody needs to call security.
Weak salespeople will broom internet customers faster than walk-ins. I would be finding out who has good numbers and make sure that they are the only ones getting your leads and calls.

"if we all used John’s interview process, I wouldn't “Cyber Kelly,” just head of the class." A thorough analysis might be in order

Weak salespeople will broom internet customers faster than walk-ins.

I don't understand this thinking at all. These people have already expressed an interest, probably discussed price, and they are now in the store. These are easy pickings.

Salespeople salivate when we have a client who comes-in and asks for the Manager by name. They are praying that the Manager TO's to them... they follow the appointments around like hungry puppies until the Manager assigns them to our "Best Salesperson."

And for the record, I assure you, my interview process was VERY thorough!

I don't understand this thinking at all. These people have already expressed an interest, probably discussed price, and they are now in the store. These are easy pickings.
John, this wouldn't happen in either of our organizations. I gather that Kelly has little or no control over where the eleads or calls are going.

And for the record, I assure you, my interview process was VERY thorough! I didn't call for backup.

John,

Yes, there used to be a lot of brooming when I started (10 sales/mo)...then I started handing out the leads (30 sales/mo), now I've been tied up again. I will make the situation work well for me, thus the dealer, given time to assess the best strategy.

Kelly, I have been to your website and have seen the amount of work that you have put into it.

Wow, 50% drop in internet sales.

I'd be focused on the reports section of the CRM. I visited a old friend's store. Looking at his CRM reports, he had a salesperson with 58 leads with zero appointments and sales. Somebody needs to call security.
Weak salespeople will broom internet customers faster than walk-ins. I would be finding out who has good numbers and make sure that they are the only ones getting your leads and calls.

Thanks Doug!

It may not be the best site, always room to grow *Critiques Welcome*. But for a base line OEM, I think my after hours off the clock work is paying off a little.

What is this CRM you speak of? OH....this lack-luster tool the floor hardly uses? Reports there are almost impossible and when combined with....well not combined as there is little to no information to analyze...

I used to hand my leads to the best guy for the job...now there's just one guy. We use an ILM. Submitted leads are called, and hopefully sold, by the new guy. Incoming calls are paged by the receptionist; on slow days stampedes erupt on the showroom floor, on busy days the calls are sometimes missed.

I'll get the paper up log and the paper apt log and get to making a new excel sheet!

note...under the rock is not where you want to be ;)

update ...last night I was a was given a plastic spork, so today I am diligently trying to figure out how best to use it to get out from under the rock...without getting squished!

Damn, That's worse than I imagined. I have no idea of how many managers at that store. You need to furnish each of them with a calendar. Circle the year ...It's 2011!!!!!!

Kelly, I have zero tolerance for ignorant and lazy people. Not putting people into the system is costing that dealership thousands of dollars in sales and missed opportunities.

Salespeople take the direction of least resistance. Doing things the right way has to be the direction of least resistance. In my case, they did it right or heard from me. Most didn't consider that a pleasant experience. Don't misunderstand, my people liked me. Part of that comes from them selling cars and making money. I know what that takes.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. For the last 3 years we have had 2 internet managers working leads cradle to grave. In march we are changing back to farming out the leads after the 2nd day to sales people. Gonna be interesting.

All I can say is that internet is always busy with something to do. I work all day.

It's gonna be nice to manage more instead of being buried with leads. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

I don't like or agree with the term "Cradle to Grave". (sorry if its not totally related to the content of this post) I think it sends the wrong message after close. Good salesman (which are very few and far between) stay connected with the client so they can ensure a "Cradle to Cradle" life long loyal customer. Loyalty in my opinion should be the core focus with all customers and the term "Cradle to Grave" feels final. Just my two cents is all. I do enjoy the banter on this forum. Good stuff

I don't like or agree with the term "Cradle to Grave". (sorry if its not totally related to the content of this post) I think it sends the wrong message after close. Good salesman (which are very few and far between) stay connected with the client so they can ensure a "Cradle to Cradle" life long loyal customer. Loyalty in my opinion should be the core focus with all customers and the term "Cradle to Grave" feels final. Just my two cents is all. I do enjoy the banter on this forum. Good stuff

Hi Roy -- I think you can assume "grave" is that thing with the headstone at the beginning of that loooooong nap... not just a sale.

I don't like or agree with the term "Cradle to Grave". (sorry if its not totally related to the content of this post) I think it sends the wrong message after close...

If you don't like "Cradle to Grave", you won't like "get that car over the curb" either ;-) Or, "it's not your sale until he's burnin' gas".

Can't get too wordy-nerdy Roy. Every industry has it's slang names.

What other ones did I miss?