• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I want to start with a new Lead Provider. Any suggestions? Anyone familiar with Autobytel?

SeanWoodruff

Bone King
May 14, 2011
First Name
Sean
I want to start with a new lead provider. I currently use these main ones plus our own website and Ford Direct leads:

CARS.COM
DEALIX
EDMUNDS
EVERY CAR LISTED
KBB
NEW LEADS PLUS

Any good suggestions? I am looking into Autobytel. Anybody know much about them? Let me know! I would like to get going with a very productive lead provider. Oh and Autotrader and UsedCars.com are not being considered.

Gimme your suggestions!!

Sean, you have lead only providers listed here and you also have vehicle listing sites in your mix. What exactly are you hoping to achieve?Depending on your area, I wouldn't have anymore than one 3rd party lead provider in the mix. Choose one - Dealix, AutoUSA or Autobytel. I use autobytel for the simple fact that they are now the largest 3rd party lead aggregator. I also like their icontrol service. Pick one and work them hard. Take a few dollars out of the budget and incentives these leads to visit the dealership and increase your closing percentage above the typical 5-7%. Why on earth are you on edmunds?

Sean, I purchased leads, early on, but cut them off when they proved to be low percentage. I have also caught them re-sending 90 day old leads. I will understand if you don't want to answer but what are you closing as a percentage of leads?

I see that you are a featured dealer with AutoTrader for both new and used. I would consider either getting out of AutoTrader, completely, or moving up. I did extremely well with AutoTrader and Cars.com but you have to be competitive.

I saw that you have your new cars listed at MSRP but when you click on details, you see this: Internet Price includes all rebates, including FMCC bonus cash. Must finance through FMCC to qualify for internet pricing. FMCC bonus cash varies by model. This would lead me to believe that the price that you have listed (MSRP) is after rebates. You have the same disclosure on Cars.com. Your competition is lowering their prices by using the incentives. Are you?

I guess before just diving into more leads, I would have to ask where are your closing rates at? If you are at a closing rate of north of 15% on i-leads, I would suggest adding someone. If you aren't I would focus on what you are getting and try getting that rate up.

I am unfamiliar with the Autobytel product, so I can't really talk about it effectively. That's just my 2 cents.

It looks like you have a good mix with your leads. I would suggest focusing on what you have and getting to that 15% range before adding another source. Do you know what your cost per sale and cost per lead is? If your cost per sale is above $250 on Internet leads, I would be very hesitant in adding another source.

Our lead closing percentage is right at about 10%. Our goal is 15%.

You should be able to achieve over 20% closing ratio with Cars.com, your website and KBB with the proper marketing and follow-up. I didn't purchase leads from anyone including the manufacturer's third party leads. ISMs tend to be more productive when they have confidence in the quality of the leads.

Reactions: 2 people