• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

IE6 - Is Your Dealer Still Using Internet Explorer 6?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
There was another article the other day on mashable titled "5 More Reasons Why IE6 Must Die"

To summarize:

1. Your security and your company (dealers) security are at risk
2. World governments are suggesting you switch browsers
3. Even Microsoft wants you to drop IE6
4. Not wanting to upgrade from Windows XP isn’t a legitimate excuse anymore
5. This will not be the last massive IE6 security breach

SO MANY DEALERS do NOT have full support IT departments or even an IT Services Firm that frequent the dealer.

"Internet Explorer 6 (IE6), the outdated 10+ year old browser still used by 15-25% of people on the web"

I wonder how many dealers are still using IE6....

How many dealers are aware of the security ricks and issues with IE6?

What browser do you use at the dealership and what has been your process for upgrading from IE6?

Our dealership is straddled between IE7 and IE8, the former still hanging on because Reynolds Contact Management didn't support the latter. (I recall reading this has changed and would love to stop having to roll back inadvertently-installed updates if it has. Still beats Elead's JavaScript alerts recommending IE 5.5.) Since our computers are on automatic updates, it's not much of a task.

Of course, for that one guy in the corner with the Mac, it's Safari 4 all the way.

I am still holding out for the Chinese government to hack my box... Oh yeah and I really like the added time IE takes for that auto proxy detect crap.

:google:

We have full time IT staff and we have not upgraded all browsers, sad to say.

At the same time we have had very little security related issues. All that we have had are 100% related to IE6. And i mean 100%. Or we could blame it on the users playing games on break.com and looking at crap on the net.

When a user at the dealership has their workstation compromised with malware (Trend Micro and UTM have helped) we usually take the box offline and let the end user suffer with no workstation for a day or so. The only users we have had issues with, sadly enough, are the desk and F&I.

Internet sales was the first to upgrade.

29% IE7

10% Firefox

60% IE6

1% Safari (Mac users) - DP

Last edited:
Full time IT Staff here with Fixed Operations on IE7 and Variable on FireFox. Then there is another "one guy" in the corner on a Mac with Safari, Chrome, FireFox, and IE7....wonder who that is :thinker:

I did come across a computer with IE6 in one of our training rooms. It powers a projector, so I wasn't too concerned.

PLEASE no one say yes.

The smart companies will support all* web browser platforms...in the hopes that people will get away from IE to a more secure, faster and advanced browser (Chrome, FF, Safari, etc.).

...of course, they should be web/cloud based as well.

PLEASE no one say yes.

The smart companies will support all* web browser platforms...in the hopes that people will get away from IE to a more secure, faster and advanced browser (Chrome, FF, Safari, etc.).

...of course, they should be web/cloud based as well.

Yeah but some OEMs have web programs that only work with IE6 or IE7 and the dealers have no choice...

If something only works in IE6 or IE7 only it must have some really nasty javascript or HTML that doesn't come close to following W3C standards. Some programs also use ActiveX controls... luckily Silverlight is alleviating a lot of the need for that.