• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Improving our Inventory Processing Process

I still think this is a leadership problem.
If you ask your team to do something and they don't. YOU MUST ask yourself what else are not doing or you hope they are NOT doing.

Sit in a dealership you will say. I know about the shrinkage that happens. Tools, a 10 mm here and there. Then another 10mm. A personal oil change here or there. Or how about a car that came that wasn't in that good of condition. I have heard plenty of stories and can get more with a quick phone call.

The tech does have you by the curlies. After they quit, they will be back to rinse and repeat because you needed someone and they weren't all that bad the last time. Most likely, they will quit again.

"appraisal"
This is brilliant!

I would ask CarMax to do the appraisal for you.
I'm not joking. They obviously are a great choice according to what I've read here.

"In ecommerce, the shopping cart is the boss ...."

If you mean by the sale is ultimate boss, I agree. but as you mention, the business is a team of various parts and pieces. So, in reality, I don't the boss isn't the shopping cart unless you have a monopoly on the market and don't care what reviews say.

"Dealers think leads are the shopping cart."

Dealers shouldn't think that leads are the shopping cart, unless you are considering these leads as an item in the cart.

If your cart doesn't have an item, there is a problem with abandoned items or with the boss.
So, I see the cart as the finance office which I should really say is a payment gateway. But why split hairs, right!
Basically, you will need to review all your teams to find out where in the checkout process something broke.

Your likely candiates are:
the boss - you got to get leads
the cart - you got to get the leads to commit
the payment gateway - getting the customer to actually sign up for 84 months of financing.

Each part plays an integral part on the team!

I still think this is a leadership problem.

It stems from a different place. Those who understand the intricacies of the psychology of a dealership will provide better solutions. You must live with customers to appreciate the root issue of the car business is the emotion of the customer. It isn't black and white.

This is what @joe.pistell and everyone else in this thread is trying to tell you. You're too black and white.

Sorry this turned into a wall of text. Hopefully, this will clear up a few things.

Either I'm extremely dumb or something isn't lining up here. Maybe it's becasue I am just a develoepr?

If your team isn't doing their job, it's a leadership problem because it's a business.

If it's a customer problem then you are talking to a customer who has 2 decades in Japan and 1 decade here. As you know, I'm not afraid to share my opinions and ideas and get them laughed at and made fun of.

Customers? yeah, been there and did that. nothing like your customers or their helicopter parents raining done on you threatening to fire you. I spent 23 years dealing daily with vastly different customers - from Kindergarten students to 80 years who were very stubborn in their opinions. I walked away from that industry because I got tired of dealing with Junior High school kids. Every day the grind finally got to me.
I started blaming the customer ... so I quit.

I've dropped my ideas on customers here a lot. I even suggested learning NLP to do that. Lots of people haven't read a book on it so it's an easy throw away topic. It's a shame. I got a few take aways that helped me deal with customers.

I am black and white because it's a occupational hazard. If the software breaks, you basically know who to blame. We own up to our mistakes or the team will fall apart. We don't back stab and steal sales. So, it also makes it easier to see when a technician fails to check interior or brake lights, We have to Quality Control our products before they go out the door.
"the auto dealership leaders need help and they're looking to software leaders to deliver solutions that make their operations run smarter, faster. If you don't know operations, then you're at the mercy of the dealer driving your strategy."

As a few people like to recommend here, I think car dealerships can learn from the software industry like we did from Toyota years ago and took away learning of 5S that morphed into Six Sigma and we have morphed into Agile Methodology.

I really do appreciate the advice to sit in a shop and learn. But that is why I'm here. I read, listen, take notes, copy for later reading, try (I really am trying) to give back to the community, and more importantly learn from the comments that wrote that ended up being wrong.

See the cool thing is that developers are naturally learning about different industries and roll with no concepts when a new feature is requested. If we change to another company we could working in a different industry entirely. So, yes, that means we are at the mercy of the knowledge authority figure. But not at the same time. We have that industry crossover experience that Car Manufactures are finally experiencing with carPlay and googleCar.

Personally, If I can't learn from some of the best in the industry, then how can I learn from shop down the street?
I am talking about you folks here on the forums here at DealerRefresh. Why are you all selling yourselves short? y'all have so much to offer!
Seriously, a few of you should start a consulting business and help out struggling dealerships.

IF the Dealership Leaders need help but aren't listening, then how can anybody help them?

I suggested CarMax to do the appraisal. Seriously, I still suggest doing it. Might even be worth dieing on a hill for. Since I think it was brilliant. I also was expecting a facelam so no feelings hurt.

I stole this idea from Henna Chevy in Austin Texas. I heard that the group is like a Billion dollar group or something of the sort. I'm sure someone here on the forums know. Maybe they are a little smaller than the Cowboy group in Arkansas ... Either way. It's a legit dealership that has more than 100 cars on it's lot. (Covid changed that ...)

I liked the idea because it's smart.
1. You get a second opinion for free.
2. They have a whole process so each Carmax dealership should have similar standards.
3. Henna offers $500 over the CarMax price
4. If your leadership is solid and employees follow though, Why worry about carmax stealing your customers?
5. Because you offered $500 more the price, the price is locked and is basically non-neogtiable (no-haggle).
6. Henna also does their own assesment to make sure CarMax didn't screw up.

hmmm, I can't think of a 7th idea reason ... 6 it is!

Note: I sat through the process 3 times and had lots of time to think about why this is a good idea. maybe my understanding is totally 100% wrong so if it is, I would appreaciate the learning expererience.

So, I am confused why this is a "faceplam ashamed" idea.

Is it because I am just a developer ?

I am confused why this is a "faceplam ashamed" idea.

Yes.

I really do appreciate the advice to sit in a shop and learn. But that is why I'm here. I read, listen, take notes,

If I can't learn from some of the best in the industry, then how can I learn from shop down the street?

Carsten, the best in the industry is giving you direct advice on how to grow your knowledge. Your not following thru with this advice because it'll make you uncomfortable. Period.

You have so much to learn, so much to give. Get over your fears and go to a dealership and introduce yourself.

p.s. For your 1st dealer, I highly recommend a store with very high google ratings. The star ratings are often a byproduct of the leaders desire to innovate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carsten
Sorry this turned into a wall of text. Hopefully, this will clear up a few things.

Either I'm extremely dumb or something isn't lining up here. Maybe it's becasue I am just a develoepr?

If your team isn't doing their job, it's a leadership problem because it's a business.

If it's a customer problem then you are talking to a customer who has 2 decades in Japan and 1 decade here. As you know, I'm not afraid to share my opinions and ideas and get them laughed at and made fun of.

Customers? yeah, been there and did that. nothing like your customers or their helicopter parents raining done on you threatening to fire you. I spent 23 years dealing daily with vastly different customers - from Kindergarten students to 80 years who were very stubborn in their opinions. I walked away from that industry because I got tired of dealing with Junior High school kids. Every day the grind finally got to me.
I started blaming the customer ... so I quit.

I've dropped my ideas on customers here a lot. I even suggested learning NLP to do that. Lots of people haven't read a book on it so it's an easy throw away topic. It's a shame. I got a few take aways that helped me deal with customers.

I am black and white because it's a occupational hazard. If the software breaks, you basically know who to blame. We own up to our mistakes or the team will fall apart. We don't back stab and steal sales. So, it also makes it easier to see when a technician fails to check interior or brake lights, We have to Quality Control our products before they go out the door.
"the auto dealership leaders need help and they're looking to software leaders to deliver solutions that make their operations run smarter, faster. If you don't know operations, then you're at the mercy of the dealer driving your strategy."

As a few people like to recommend here, I think car dealerships can learn from the software industry like we did from Toyota years ago and took away learning of 5S that morphed into Six Sigma and we have morphed into Agile Methodology.

I really do appreciate the advice to sit in a shop and learn. But that is why I'm here. I read, listen, take notes, copy for later reading, try (I really am trying) to give back to the community, and more importantly learn from the comments that wrote that ended up being wrong.

See the cool thing is that developers are naturally learning about different industries and roll with no concepts when a new feature is requested. If we change to another company we could working in a different industry entirely. So, yes, that means we are at the mercy of the knowledge authority figure. But not at the same time. We have that industry crossover experience that Car Manufactures are finally experiencing with carPlay and googleCar.

Personally, If I can't learn from some of the best in the industry, then how can I learn from shop down the street?
I am talking about you folks here on the forums here at DealerRefresh. Why are you all selling yourselves short? y'all have so much to offer!
Seriously, a few of you should start a consulting business and help out struggling dealerships.

IF the Dealership Leaders need help but aren't listening, then how can anybody help them?

I suggested CarMax to do the appraisal. Seriously, I still suggest doing it. Might even be worth dieing on a hill for. Since I think it was brilliant. I also was expecting a facelam so no feelings hurt.

I stole this idea from Henna Chevy in Austin Texas. I heard that the group is like a Billion dollar group or something of the sort. I'm sure someone here on the forums know. Maybe they are a little smaller than the Cowboy group in Arkansas ... Either way. It's a legit dealership that has more than 100 cars on it's lot. (Covid changed that ...)

I liked the idea because it's smart.
1. You get a second opinion for free.
2. They have a whole process so each Carmax dealership should have similar standards.
3. Henna offers $500 over the CarMax price
4. If your leadership is solid and employees follow though, Why worry about carmax stealing your customers?
5. Because you offered $500 more the price, the price is locked and is basically non-neogtiable (no-haggle).
6. Henna also does their own assesment to make sure CarMax didn't screw up.

hmmm, I can't think of a 7th idea reason ... 6 it is!

Note: I sat through the process 3 times and had lots of time to think about why this is a good idea. maybe my understanding is totally 100% wrong so if it is, I would appreaciate the learning expererience.

So, I am confused why this is a "faceplam ashamed" idea.

Carsten

You and I have a great relationship and have shared ideas outside of the forum. Through the sharing of those different ideas, this is what I think.

So many of the software products that cater to the Auto Industry are nothing more than a knock off of someone else. Some of this is because of the fact that there are core requirements that the product must do. Some of that is because the industry lacks innovative ideas and fresh thinking. Not to say that creativity is completely absent, it is simply scarce.

You have ideas that are fresh and not "corrupted" by an overexposure to these platforms Your challenge is that you don't understand the dealership's pain. You don't know how to solve their problems because you don't understand their problems. There's nothing wrong with that, it is just a matter of fact.

Now imagine that you were able to actually understand the problems that need solved from a perspective OTHER than within this group. Imagine understanding the parameters that you need to work within. Imagine actually UNDERSTANDING why you don't blow away a service manager or technician because they won't do a comprehensive used vehicle test drive or why the absolute last thing a dealer would ever want to do is send a prospective customer to CARMAX (or anywhere else) for a vehicle appraisal (which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread). Imagine how you would break down the issue and solve the problem. You would find solutions that many of us wouldn't see because you don't have any of the preconceived notions that we all have.

You are a smart and well respected person here. I think that @joe.pistell is giving you solid advice, and can imagine you being able to bring that innovation fresh thinking that our industry needs.

That's what I see, but I admittedly have a much different perspective that many here. I am trying to slay a different dragon.

Last edited:
@joe.pistell and @Tallcool1
Thanks both of you!

"Your not following thru with this advice because it'll make you uncomfortable. Period."
No, not really. I'm not afraid of going to a dealer to learn. It's not that. I cause bugs in software. Owning up is not and issue.

This!
"Get over your fears and go to a dealership and introduce yourself."
This part is true in a way and hit home. I am not sure what it is at the moment because I need to make some sales. If I have an intro, it's not a problem. something about cold calling. I can totally walk up to walk on folks at a lot.

I suggested CarMax to do the appraisal. Seriously, I still suggest doing it. Might even be worth dieing on a hill for. Since I think it was brilliant.

OMG Carsten, your not going to believe what I found out in a dealer meeting yesterday. CarMax is creating a program to work trade/sell appraisals with car dealers. Its NOT the physical act of the appraisal itself, it's sort of a appraisal marketplace.

more as it comes...

Reactions: Tallcool1