• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Increasing Lead Responses

Jeff, I'm quite sure I got that line from you. Hah.

Jerry, any difference in approach if the number you have on file is a cell vs. home phone. If it's listed obviously it is a home phone. Usually you can tell which is which. The difference being the missed calls etc.

Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Very informative. That one was handled pretty horribly by me to be honest. I'm not sure how I managed to not call her. It looks like I accidentally deleted the task out of our CRM.

You pointed out some glaring holes in our organization. Here is how it looked on our end....

Lead comes in...no information uploaded in our DMS tool aside from "08 Escape" which means the ball was dropped initially. I ask my manager about it and he says it was whole-saled off. The lead gets pushed to the back of my mind and rather than responding with alternatives, I forget to respond at all after my first response (terrible). The sale manager pops his head in my office an hour later and says he's confusing two vehicles and that it has not been whole saled. The sky opens up and a torrential down pour begins (seriously). Rather than responding, or picking up the phone at this point, I wait for the rain to stop and finally get some information. I send another email with more info than "Brandy" asked for.

That really might be as poorly as I've handled a lead. You gave me some great feedback, Jeff. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has any feedback. Thanks!

I'll throw in a couple thoughts. I liked how eager you where with that first email within a few minutes but that would have been a great conversation starter on the phone, which would have let you open into other similar models and open up the inventory. If there's a phone number, IMHO, you need to be calling ASAP and forgetting about emailing. It gives you some extra goods to put in the email if you don't get them on the line.. Get them on the phone and inspire a visit to the dealership!

Other then that you'll do well by using some stronger language and being a touch more aggressive. I'm not talking beat'em over the head with a club, but some assumptive closes for the appointment or bridging into - "If it's ok with you I'd love to pencil you in for 4:15 this afternoon."

Above that any questions to engage the customer are a big + and if you can, I would start a file on your desktop where you store any .pdf's and other info you can get your hands on from Ford where you can easily share extra goods with customers.

You seem like you have a casual style so have some fun and be as excited and exciting as you can. If you can support that with being informative and laid back then I think you'll kill it in no time!

Cheers!

Another question, though I'm sure I know the answer. Once a lead emails you back (assuming it is the first contact). Should your response be an email or a phone call?

If there is a phone number, call them ASAP. If no phone, then send an e-mail and ask for a phone number since you have some good news for the customers.

In this case you had a phone number and you did not call. Hopefully an eye opener. I told you that you'd have no clue when we shopped you.

Good Luck!

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. They really helped me out. I tried not leaving a message, the first time i called and calling at different times. I have to say though, I've had the most success with calling the customer as soon as I receive the lead to verify the vehicle they are looking for. In the past, I would email then call. Thanks again for your advice.

-Brian