• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Internal Instant Messenger ?

Breene

Green Pea
May 12, 2009
First Name
Audi
Anybody use a solid internal instant messenger within their entire dealership?

Just fishing for recommendations

Learn more about DrivenData
Apr 22, 2009
First Name
Ryan
We use Skype mainly for Instant Messaging. Team of 30. Some in office, others are remote. Works great.

Price = FREE

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
May 1, 2006
First Name
Alex
We've been through AIM, Microsoft, Jabber and quite a few others. Right now we're using Hipchat and I like it a lot!

craigh

Super Moderator
May 19, 2011
First Name
Craig
For the development team I use Slack for "chat room" style conversations. It's very IRC-esque.
For the marketing team we use project management discussion software where everything is tied to issues and we use Google Hangouts for the chatting.
For everything else and at the dealerships we use Microsoft suite - Lync is the current implementation. It's good software and works on OS X as well, so they use it across all 6 dealerships at one automotive group and don't have any issues with it.

Tallcool1

Boss
Mar 17, 2014
First Name
Clint
I used Yahoo Chat in the past. I had all of my accounting and office staff online during business hours, dealerships covered 3 states.

craigh

Super Moderator
May 19, 2011
First Name
Craig
I used Yahoo Chat in the past. I had all of my accounting and office staff online during business hours, dealerships covered 3 states.
I thought Yahoo Chat died in 2012. I might be mistaken though..

v8apps

3rd Base Coach
Apr 25, 2012
First Name
Smit
If you have Office 365 for your email, you get their corporate messenger Lync with it
You can also use Skype which is free but lets your people chat with their friends too
You can do the same with google chat if you are using google for email service at your dealership/group

Breene

Green Pea
May 12, 2009
First Name
Audi
Thank you all!

I'm looking hard at a program called Brosix...

It looks like the nice 'newer' platforms are probably a little too complex for some of the older people here to get into. Basically I need an old school style AIM/yahoo, but with a forced and universal 'buddylist' of strictly coworkers. Brosix seems like its going to work for that..

Get Podium