• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Inventory Export Feed - vAuto or VIN?

Since ATC owns both companies, as well as Homenet and CDM, which company will be selected as "THE" inventory export (or inventory management for that matter) platform? I think it's only a matter of time before there is consolidation. It seems that Homenet is putting a lot into their new IOL system, as well as integrating it with the ATC inventory.

Thoughts?

And that is the right question.

Would you invest the next 3 years working for example with Homenet to build a good system, process, train people, etc to discover that one day it gets rolled into a different one? Remember those people that invested heavily in their BZ Results websites to get rolled into Cobalt's ($5000 ---> $800 /month change).

Reactions: 1 person
In answering your question, I think I'd stick with vAuto rather than changing up to VIN. The change doesn't bring you any extra benefit, as I know of no reason why VIN has an advantage on vAuto. But I will agree with Yago that companies that are geared around this as their job would be your best bet.

There are several companies doing auto comments and while vAuto's cheese-meter was pretty slick, there are newer technologies that really are setting the bar much higher. Dominion's (yes, my company) has a great product called Story Builder that is worth checking out. Automotive Dealership StoryBuilder - Inventory Solutions - Dominion Dealer

It will be interesting, however, to see how ATC combines duplicate technologies over time. HomeNet, vAuto & VIN have so much overlap...

It will be interesting, however, to see how ATC combines duplicate technologies over time. HomeNet, vAuto & VIN have so much overlap...

Something interesting has come out the the ATC collection of companies, HomeNet's IOL Overdrive product, "Changes made in IOL to vehicle pricing and comments update within minutes on AutoTrader.com, the latest addition to HomeNet’s Near-Time Network."

How does it play into the power of vAuto's pricing tool? vAuto suggests a vehicle needs an updated sale price based on current market analysis and HomeNet updates that price on ATC with minutes.
Could this be a "Game Changer"? Maybe more ATC Synergy is coming?

IOL Overdrive includes these products too: Power Writer, Individual Vehicle Custom Photo Overlays, and access to Mobile IOL for use with your Apple powered device.
IOL Overdrive | Exclusive features available ONLY to IOL Overdrive customers

Glen,

It will be interesting for you and me to see what happens with the consolidation, for the dealers it will not. You know that.

There is no date for consolidation, so you will have to figure it out as some die, lose support, don't update the system, etc. Look at CDM Data, when was that system updated? There are dealers still using that system because nobody came to tell them there better systems available.

CarGuy2011,

The fact that you can change a bad price because you bought the car wrong at the auction or you spent too much money on recon and Homenet allows to push it faster to ATC would be a game changer of customers would spend 5 minutes researching and making a decision and/or if Autotrader was the only place customers would go to find cars.

Since in the real world customers go to 6-8 sites the price being updated just a little bit faster on Autotrader will make no difference at all. It may entice someone IF Autotarder is their last shopping spot (but not if it is the first, or just he second), and it will not change their decision if the price change is just a hundred bucks or so.

The biggest game changer is to know the car biz and your market. To understand your customers so you buy the right cars at the auction. To have a good relationship with your recon people so cars look and feel good and you don't put too much money on them.

Customers take 90 days to decode to buy a car, we thing updating the price every 2 seconds will make a difference. We got sold... big time.

Yagoparmo,

There’s many ways to interpret what you wrote so I’ll try to break it down. First, I’ll take your comments with a grain of salt because you offer a competing product and maybe you would never want to see your competition with an advantage. You mention some of the reasons why a dealer would need to change a vehicle's sale price because they spent too much at auction for it or that the recon cost was too expensive, is that the only reasons why a dealer needs to update price? Do your dealerships only advertise their vehicles with the one sale price and never need to update it? I think not.

Second, there’s no denying ATC is one of the largest vehicle websites offering vehicles for sale. Great photos, accurate and descriptive vehicle options, and having the right price is keying to turning an online shopper into a buyer. So if an online shopper views several websites before making a decision, I need to ask what other websites does ATC provide the inventory for? KBB.com? Maybe More? And of the 4 other website companies part of the HomeNet Near-Time Network, maybe your shopper might visit include some of them? Such as CarsDirect, Showroom Logic, Dealer E-Process, and Social Dealer. What if HomeNet is successfully in adding more website companies to that network? Does that change your mind?

Third, you say "to know the biz and your market" and that buying the vehicles at the right price and keeping recon cost low is the best way to be a successful dealer? Your comments almost turn back the clock to when a big blue ape on top of the dealership was the best advertising for a dealership. Are you saying that vAuto shouldn’t have a customer base? What about the other pricing tool companies? I know enough about these pricing tools to understand their need in the market place. These companies offer tools do some much more than just update sale prices.

It seems very basic, updating faster is best. It’s like a race to be online first. Regardless if a dealership chooses to update prices every minute, hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly; getting it there now is important. To make this product even better, I think HomeNet needs to expand their product to near-real time updates on freshly added vehicles and vehicle deletions. HomeNet has done a good job with managing to reduced their upload times to some of the best times I’ve seen for a data management company, for example, it only takes hours to update Cars.com and ATC and with a manual force feed, updates to Dealer.com can be realized within an hour and the same is true for many other websites hosted by HomeNet. It’s not for everyone, but my customers enjoy the convenience of knowing their cars are online fast.

The ability to go “near-real time” with price and vehicle comments is a huge advantage over the competition. Hopefully the folks at vAuto can expand on their plans to effectively use this tool to give its dealers the edge.

Lastly, I researched your website and it says that PGI Auto and Dealer E-Process bagged 6 DS awards and when I researched Dealer E-Process’ website it says it received 6 DS awards with no mention of PGI Autos. So, is that the same Dealer E-Process company that HomeNet claims to have as its Near-Time Network? If so, how’s that? Why’s that? Are you part of that company? If so, then why is it updating prices in near-real time with HomeNet when you don't think it's an advantage per you? I'm not attacking you, just seems very interesting.

Reactions: 1 person
Yagoparmo,

There’s many ways to interpret what you wrote so I’ll try to break it down. First, I’ll take your comments with a grain of salt because you offer a competing product and maybe you would never want to see your competition with an advantage. You mention some of the reasons why a dealer would need to change a vehicle's sale price because they spent too much at auction for it or that the recon cost was too expensive, is that the only reasons why a dealer needs to update price? Do your dealerships only advertise their vehicles with the one sale price and never need to update it? I think not.

I didn't say it is not important to update prices. What I said (or sarcastically try to say) is that it is more important to buy the right car and spend the right money getting it ready than starting a race of changes to see if we get a fish on the hook. We are focusing in the wrong activity: Lowering prices after we have made so many other mistakes.

As for having a competing product... we were among the first ones to offer 6 updates per day to Autotrader and we also have a delta update, API, etc. That doesn't mean I think it the best approach to the business.

Yagoparmo,

Second, there’s no denying ATC is one of the largest vehicle websites offering vehicles for sale. Great photos, accurate and descriptive vehicle options, and having the right price is keying to turning an online shopper into a buyer. So if an online shopper views several websites before making a decision, I need to ask what other websites does ATC provide the inventory for? KBB.com? Maybe More? And of the 4 other website companies part of the HomeNet Near-Time Network, maybe your shopper might visit include some of them? Such as CarsDirect, Showroom Logic, Dealer E-Process, and Social Dealer. What if HomeNet is successfully in adding more website companies to that network? Does that change your mind?

If having the lowest price is key, then we should be in a race to the lowest common denominator--being the cheapest at all times. There is more to the car business: Unique vehicles, hard to find, opportunistic sales, and many more.

So I agree with you that lowering the prices brings sales what I argue is that we are focusing on the wrong activity and that since customers look websites at so many disparaging times during the sale process this will be a hard thing to control effectively.

I guess you could advertise this to customers: "Our network updates lower prices than any other network faster" and build that expectation in the market. Then we will cry for building this.

Yagoparmo,
Third, you say "to know the biz and your market" and that buying the vehicles at the right price and keeping recon cost low is the best way to be a successful dealer? Your comments almost turn back the clock to when a big blue ape on top of the dealership was the best advertising for a dealership. Are you saying that vAuto shouldn’t have a customer base? What about the other pricing tool companies? I know enough about these pricing tools to understand their need in the market place. These companies offer tools do some much more than just update sale prices.

You are assuming that I said a lot of things based on a few words...

You can and should use as many tools as you need, whether is the old NADA book in your back pocket or vAuto in a smart phone to support your decisions but if you don't know the market to begin with you will not be successful.

In some cases these tools are creating a false sense of safety when buying and that is a negative. The sale process is fragile, a good team of recon people can bring your expense per car down $500 and help you be a lot more competitive. People and team over technology.

Yagoparmo,
It seems very basic, updating faster is best. It’s like a race to be online first. Regardless if a dealership chooses to update prices every minute, hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly; getting it there now is important. To make this product even better, I think HomeNet needs to expand their product to near-real time updates on freshly added vehicles and vehicle deletions. HomeNet has done a good job with managing to reduced their upload times to some of the best times I’ve seen for a data management company, for example, it only takes hours to update Cars.com and ATC and with a manual force feed, updates to Dealer.com can be realized within an hour and the same is true for many other websites hosted by HomeNet. It’s not for everyone, but my customers enjoy the convenience of knowing their cars are online fast.

The ability to go “near-real time” with price and vehicle comments is a huge advantage over the competition. Hopefully the folks at vAuto can expand on their plans to effectively use this tool to give its dealers the edge.

It is an advantage only if just one dealer can do it, if all of them can, it is a race to the bottom.

Yagoparmo,

Lastly, I researched your website and it says that PGI Auto and Dealer E-Process bagged 6 DS awards and when I researched Dealer E-Process’ website it says it received 6 DS awards with no mention of PGI Autos. So, is that the same Dealer E-Process company that HomeNet claims to have as its Near-Time Network? If so, how’s that? Why’s that? Are you part of that company? If so, then why is it updating prices in near-real time with HomeNet when you don't think it's an advantage per you? I'm not attacking you, just seems very interesting.

Just because I don't agree with a technology doesn't mean we will not integrate our companies to use it. Some customers wanted it so we have it.

I predict dealers will agree with you more than me and everyone will look for a way to lower their prices faster. Every industry has done that, it seems to be a law of business.

What I said in my comments is that this is not exciting not a game changer. I wouldn't be excited to be able to be the first one to have the cheapest car in the room so I make the lowest gross profit.