• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is Reynolds up to no good???

kevinfrye

Sr. Refresher
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Kevin
Got this email yesterday from one of our vendors that integrates with our DMS - Reynolds. I removed the vendor's name for discretion - but has anyone heard anything about this. I would not be surprised if what is written here is true...

Dear (our dealership name),

Hello. This is your ----- Representative.

I’m contacting you, to let you know that Reynolds & Reynolds is currently undergoing a process to remove ALL 3rd party software / service providers that integrate with R&R. They are going to be contacting your dealership and letting you know there is a “security breach†in your software and a “possible hostile integration†to your system. They will be asking if you would like it handled (by them).

This is not the case with your ----- integration. ------- is neither a “hostile integration†nor “security threatâ€. Reynolds & Reynolds is using this communication method to remove all 3rd party software service vendors, in order to re-integrate them at higher monthly fees.

This applies to not just -----, but ALL CRMs, service and/or sales 3rd party tools. Please note – this could factually paralyze all your current dealership processes.

If you tell them yes, they will delete all your current 3rd party vendor relationships presently integrated with your system to provide any services, including ----, and potentially DealerTrac, X-Time, Time Highway, etc. This will prevent ----- from continuing to provide our automated service solution you currently enjoy.

If you simply tell them “NO, leave it as it isâ€, then we will continue to remain integrated with your system through the integration method that Reynolds & Reynolds designed specifically for this use.

We have been informed of the communication that R&R is going to send to your dealership, which will not include any specifics as to an actual “security breach†or “possible hostile integrationâ€, as instead, this method of communication is being used as a “scare tactic†to gain your authorization to delete all your 3rd party vendor software services.

Again, please just say “NO, leave it as it isâ€.

We wanted to inform you of this, in order to continue providing our automated service solution, and protect all your current 3rd party vendor relationships.

Your ----- Representative, will be following up this email with a call to answer any of your questions and concerns.

It's such a load of horse manure! I love when Reynolds plays the "We're working for you and keeping your data safe, you need us and we're the good guys" card. There about as high up in my books as auto trader. I should go in to the T-Shirt business, making "REY-REY, You're so crooked" shirts. I can imagine there's a market right here on the DR forums. The spring line is when we drop the Auto Trader hoodies :D

I read the line

This applies to not just -----, but ALL CRMs, service and/or sales 3rd party tools. Please note – this could factually paralyze all your current dealership processes.

and threw a name in there to make sense of it. When you fill in the blanks it does make a lot of sense for a CRM company, but I could be wrong.

Not that it matters anyway. Everyone should do all they can to make sure the DMS companies allow their clients to continue to innovate as they see fit with their own data. I was half-way kidding....just forgot to add the :lol: at the end.

I read the line

and threw a name in there to make sense of it. When you fill in the blanks it does make a lot of sense for a CRM company, but I could be wrong.

Not that it matters anyway. Everyone should do all they can to make sure the DMS companies allow their clients to continue to innovate as they see fit with their own data. I was half-way kidding....just forgot to add the :lol: at the end.

I know exactly where that e-mail came from. Just sayin'

Gotcha ;)

Everyone should do all they can to make sure the DMS companies allow their clients to continue to innovate as they see fit with their own data.

And this is what I'm just saying now. Whoever sent that email to Kevin had the balls to put something like that in writing and I think they should be commended :thumbup:

Personally I am a bit insulted when I get communications like the ones that letter refers to (from ReyRey). I tear into my rep whenever they start spewing whatever rhetoric they have been commanded to disseminate to the customer base.