• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

JD Power Gen-Y Webinar

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Thanks for my old intern for bringing this to my attention. Unfortunately if you wanted to listen, it is too late. It happened yesterday, but here are some highlights:

• Generation Y will trump the economic impact on America that the baby-boomers had
  • In their teens (from 2007 statistics) Gen Y spent nearly $2 Trillion
  • Gen Y is more about spending big on technology than spending big on a car
  • Gen Y averages 3 hours per day online - mostly on facebook and other social media sites
  • Gen Y cares more about reviews than advertisements
  • Gen Y does not respond to advertisements like previous generations - they like to build relationships
  • Gen Y does more research on purchases than any other generation
Sure sounds like our kind of customers!

[* said:
Gen Y does not respond to advertisements like previous generations - they like to build relationships

Hummm...interesting. Are they going to have a recorded session of this? Sorry I missed that one. Thanks for the highlights!

The term Generation Y first appeared in an August 1993 Ad Age editorial to describe those teenagers born between 1977 and 1978 (now usually considered a part of Generation X). "Generation Y" alludes to a succession from "Generation X".

The name "Echo Boomers" relates to the size of the generation and its relation to the Baby boomer generation. In the United States the actual "Echo Boom" was a five year span between 1989 and 1994 when for the first time since 1964, the number of live births reached over four million. It wouldn’t be until 1985 that the live birth number would even match that of 1965 at 3.760 million. Also it should be noted that the birthrate of 1971’s 17.2% has yet to be reached according to the 2000 census.

One analysis of American demographics locates the increase in births between 1979 and 1994. By this calculation there are 60 million members of the generation, more than three times the size of Generation X, and just shy of the 72 million baby boomers.

As this generation came of age during the 1990s, during the Digital Revolution, terms such as "Net Generation" and "First Digitals" are sometimes used to describe Gen Y (as opposed to "digital natives" for Generation Z). In Australia, Generation Y has been given the nickname "Job Snobs" - borrowed from Generation Y - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm confused - I was born in 1979 and always thought I was part of Generation X. So am I part of Generation Y? I definitely fit according to JD Power panelists.

Jeff - not sure whether they're going to put the webinar out to the public. It was really boring. Trust me, you'd prefer my post to that whole thing.

I'm confused - I was born in 1979 and always thought I was part of Generation X. So am I part of Generation Y? I definitely fit according to JD Power panelists.

Yeah..I was born in 75 and all but one of those highlights fit me as well...the one that doesn't (and I think this might go for you as well :) ) - Gen Y is more about spending big on technology than spending big on a car. Though I LOVE technology as well.