• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Just for Fun - Fifty Ugliest Cars of the Past 50 Years

ed.brooks

Boss
Jan 15, 2010
Awards
First Name
Ed
I came across this and I'm curious - What do you guys think...

Fifty Ugliest Cars of the Past 50 Years | BusinessWeek

I've sold many of these and am embarrassed to say even owned a few. Some of the ugly are obvious: the Aztek, the Gremlin, the Pacer, the Yugo. Some I never heard of, but the name alone conveys "ugly": the Wartburg 353, the SsangYong Rodis , the Tata Nano

Some are surprisingly debatable like the Ferrari Enzo, The Cadillac Escalade, the Plymouth Prowler, the DeLorean, the BMW 7 Series.

It gives the designer in many instances (poor Wayne Cherry).

What do you think? What's the ugliest car you ever sold? Whats the ugliest car you ever personally owned?

Ugliest car I have ever sold, I would have to say the Pontiac Aztek. That was one ugly vehicle.

Not sure I've owned an ugly car. My first car was a POS but cool looking for sure - Triumph TR7. Loved that car!

One might file the VW Rabbit Gti under ugly but not me. From there I've owned mostly Vdubs. Scriocco (far from ugly), Gti's, Jetta's, new Beetle turbo, CC.

I did drive (demo) a Honda 2009 Accord for awhile - why do people buy those cars in such huge numbers? It's not ugly but what a non inspiring hunk of junk.

Jeff,

You owned at least one car on the BusinessWeek list. Here's what they had to say about the New Beetle:

"VW defiled a classic car design with the New Beetle. The entire front end is swollen, the headlights are too large, and the exaggerated fenders are gimmicky. Plus, the windshield looks as if it had been stretched back over the front of the roof."

I personally think J Mays did a fine job on the Beetle, but really designed one jacked-up vehicle with the Lincoln Blackwood.

I don't agree with a few of those:

Lamborghini LM002 - hell visits offroading - what couldn't be cooler than that? Any Lamborghini is just nasty!
Delorean - it friggin' flew to the future and smuggled cocaine. Quintessential 80's.
El Camino - Senor jefe. Done, 'nuf said.
Plymouth Prowler - c'mon, the wheels are hanging off. That's just cool!
Ferrari Enzo .....WTF???!!!! Business Week should die.

Nathan - Just one word... Aztek. Let me say it again... Aztek?

Alex - I think the author must find Italian automobiles to be a little "over the top". Most Italians I know (people, not cars) fit that description as well. But I happen to find it endearing. Especially with Italian women. Cars too, I guess.

Nathan - Just one word... Aztek. Let me say it again... Aztek?

Alex - I think the author must find Italian automobiles to be a little "over the top". Most Italians I know (people, not cars) fit that description as well. But I happen to find it endearing. Especially with Italian women. Cars too, I guess.

Well yes, I'd rather ride a unicycle to work then drive an Aztek, or the Rav4 in the photo shoot. But most are passing with many of the 50 ugliest are superb looking cars in my opinion! Give me a Thing please (or the Aston Martin or the Prowler)! :heart:

I would agree with everyone that the Aztec is one of the ugliest vehicles EVER made. There are however, people out there that love them. We just had one on our lot with 145,000 miles on it in that burnt orange color. A young lady came in with a PT Cruiser (another ugly vehicle) that only had 60,000 miles she traded it in to get this Aztec. She said she has been looking for one for quite sometime and she was not goign to let this one go. I'll never understand it but hey if shes happy I'm happy :D

Back when I first started buying and selling cars (16 years old), I bought a Pacer for $200 and it was the ugliest thing on the road. I did have fun with it doing what 16 year olds do, but it was as ugly as they get :)

worst-car-of-all-time-AMC-Pacer.jpg