• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Kyocera founder Kazuo Inamori criticizes U.S. CEO excesses

Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Brian
I am including a link to this USA Today interview and here is a little teaser!

Q: Sounds like you are a critic of high CEO compensation. Doesn't their pay reflect free-market forces?
A: A lot of Americans use that rationale. But there are only a handful of exceptional athletes who attract tens of thousands of fans, thus creating enormous revenue for the team. A star player who possesses that rare talent should receive an appropriately higher salary. It is the same for an actor who stars in a blockbuster film. It is different for the CEO of a company. Profits are created by the hard work and collaboration of the workers and other levels of management. For the top echelon to receive such high compensation, as if they alone were responsible for the profits, is unreasonable. We should possess the consideration and humility to provide all employees who work for the company with an appropriate share of the gains. That is lacking in today's capitalism or free-market economy, and its absence is responsible for the growing disparity, discrimination and injustice in society.

If I were to agree with him, I would have to point at the similarities of where blame is laid within our government too. It isn't the 1,000's of people in the Federal Government; it is Obama. It isn't the thousands of GM workers; it is whoever is at the helm. If we laid blame in the deeper portions of an organization, then there would be less exposure for the top echelon....but then America doesn't get what it wants most: a scape goat.

So, the real question is whether the easiest target is worth his/her salt - should that person receive the most pay?

this is the part of the interview that stuck in my head -
Q: How so?
A: We need to seek profits supported by sound ethics and a strong sense of morality. From the Eastern viewpoint, profits should be pursued for the good of society, and not only for one's self. There is the principle of "enough is enough," that one's greed should be contained. There might be slight differences in how we interpret these concepts depending on our cultural or religious background, but I think the free-market economy will move in a better direction if people were to share such values.

Maybe we should have Warren Buffet debate this with Mr. Inamori