• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

LET'S HAVE A RACE - DDC Page Speed Insights Comparison

Thanks Jeff(y)(y). What did you score if you don't mind me asking?
I think a really good experiment someone should run - or discuss on refreshfriday - should be a legit real world speed test both to the eyeball and to the insights score/lighthouse grade. Could I be missing dimes by wasting time picking up pennies and focusing on an insights score or is it actually having an effect on my Conversion % and Search engine rank?

Side note - your mobile site is running into the same issue I had with my mobile VDPs. Looks like you are missing pricing on your VDP (at least on my chrome browser/Android) or your chat tool is covering it up.....I had this same issue and had to have support make some adjustments.
View attachment 5112

It scored a 13. Sorry I cut that off.

Reactions: John V.
Sure, I can buy organic search being down if Google believes technical site speed is creating a bad user experience. BUT have you been on any dealership website lately? Irregardless of who powers the first byte, they're all equally sloooooooooow.

This is the problem.
Google's imaginary timing affects your rank, which can affect your organic results.
I always use https://tools.pingdom.com to demonstrate to dealers the *actual* load time of the site.
You can also use Dareboost to compare 2 sites, it shows a visual timeline of what loads at every step of the site loading.
https://www.dareboost.com/en/compare

We took the time to get Google to rank some sites as 90+ but the real-world implications were minimal at best.
Then things like live chat ruin the score anyways, typically only because they load later and seem to make it seem like the time to interactive is longer.

We don't use PageSpeed Insights for end-user page speed data for a few reasons.

PageSpeed Insights is more of a dissecting tool for developers, not a page speed test for an end user (perceived page speed).

PageSpeed Insights measurement for load time savings using Next-Gen image formats is questionable.

The mobile score is based on an emulated mobile network throttling preset of the bottom 25% of 4G connections and top 25% of 3G connections. The score also has a consistency problem... if you run 4 times in 4 minutes, you can see 4 different results with scores that can range up to 20 points.

We use Pingdom & GTMetrix