• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Local SEO suggestions

I'm working on backlinks for AutoDepot Russellville, AutoDepot Hamilton, and Auto Depot Tuscaloosa. AutoDepot finances directly and offers a great selection of new and used cars, coupes, crossovers, sedans, SUV's, trucks, and pick-ups.

Any suggestions on good local SEO tactics?
The one item that would have the biggest impact is to combine the 3 sites into a single domain as 1 group website. There's no need for each individual used car lot to have its own separate website.

After that I would focus on optimizing your website's page titles and Google My Business listings.

The one item that would have the biggest impact is to combine the 3 sites into a single domain as 1 group website. There's no need for each individual used car lot to have its own separate website.

After that I would focus on optimizing your website's page titles and Google My Business listings.

I second what Ryan just said. Plus, it'll save you updating, Q&A, management headaches plus money if you're paying for three sites. Combine traffic into one if you're only about pre-owned cars.

NO doubt, to get backlinks from the relevant sites is really important for local SEO, but you also need to focus on other local seo tactics

There are few local seo techniques that you need to follow:

Optimize your GMB listing
Get positive reviews from your client
Optimize your site for voice search
Optimize your sites for mobile
Find local keywords
Schema markup
Citation
Get backlinks for your local sites

I've been saying that for years. Concentrate on what matters. Dealers that chop themselves up, create only more work and maintenance.

I have no idea what sort of CMS capability a Wayne Reaves website has (never worked on one), but I'll take a crack at helping you out.

Ryan Everson above is right in that combining these websites into a single domain is probably going to provide the biggest impact. At the very least you'd bring together any traffic you have across all of your sites into one place, which in itself would help from an SEO perspective. On top of that, a lot of the SEO work you'd be doing (i.e: backlinking, technical optimization, content, etc.) would only need to be done on one domain to benefit the group as a whole. As long as there is a reasonable way for your provider to denote which location a specific unit is located at, and a reasonable way to distribute leads to the appropriate store, I'd recommend at least exploring this option.

However, lets assume merging websites isn't an option.. what can we do?

GMB Optimization
This is a relatively easy one because it is completely independent of your website, so you wouldn't be limited here.
  • Ensure your name, address, phone number, and hours of operation are all correct (not really much ongoing work here)
  • Ensure primary and secondary categories are accurate and fully complete (i.e: use all available slots)
  • Answer all outstanding questions on your GMB Q&A sections (you've done this sometimes, but not consistently)
  • Respond to all reviews, both good and bad (you have great ratings and respond for the Hamilton and Russellville stores, but not the Tuscaloosa store)
  • Descriptions look fine, images look reasonable enough
As a possible future step, you could leverage the GMB Posts functionality to feature your 'best' piece of inventory at a given time. You'd simply need to write up a bit of content about the vehicle, create a title, and upload a 4:3 image (could possibly just peel it off the VDP) and you can have it featured on your GMB page. These last 7 days typically (depending on the post type), so you'd just have to create a new post each week.

Page Titles
Someone mentioned this above and it is likely one of the easiest and most significant items you can do (assuming the CMS allows for it). These website are fairly light on pages, so you really only have the following to optimize:
  • Homepage
  • Inventory SRP (if possible)
  • Inventory VDP (probably not possible)
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Credit App
I'd likely recommend the following homepage titles for each website (though I'm sure others would possibly recommend tweaks):
  • Russellville: Auto Depot - Used Car, Truck, and SUV Dealership in Russellville, AL
  • Hamilton: Auto Depot - Used Car, Truck, and SUV Dealership in Hamilton, AL
  • Tuscaloosa: Auto Depot - Used Car, Truck, and SUV Dealership in Tuscaloosa, AL
Inventory pages:
  • Russellville: Auto Depot - Used Cars, Trucks, and SUVs for sale in Russellville, AL
  • Hamilton: Auto Depot - Used Cars, Trucks, and SUVs for sale in Hamilton, AL
  • Tuscaloosa: Auto Depot - Used Cars, Trucks, and SUVs for sale in Tuscaloosa, AL
About Us:
Given the homepage and inventory pages would be optimized for your primary market/city, you could get a bit more creative with this page and target some tertiary markets (if there are any - I haven't looked closely). As an example, you could go with:
  • Russellville: Auto Depot - Used Car Dealership in Russellville near Mt. Hope
  • Hamilton: Auto Depot - Used Car Dealership in Hamilton near Hackleburg
  • Tuscaloosa: Auto Depot - Used Car Dealership in Russellville near Cottondale
Contact Us:
This page is really just a form with no content, so there likely isn't much SEO value here. I'd probably just use similar pages titles to the homepage to be honest.

Credit App:
This page would be ideal for 'car loan' or 'car financing' type keywords/optimizations. There isn't any content on the page and I'm not even sure your CMS would allow for it, but you could possibly optimize the page titles:
  • Russellville: Auto Depot - Car loans in Russellville, AL (or 'financing', whichever term you prefer - loans is probably more common)
  • Hamilton: Auto Depot - Car loans in Hamilton, AL
  • Tuscaloosa: Auto Depot - Car loans in Tuscaloosa, AL
Content
I see at the very least you have some ability to edit the homepage content on your website, as well as possibly the About Us page. This is really where you'd look to insert a few of your most important keywords and geographical targets, ideally internally linked to relevant pages (i.e: inventory, financing application, etc.).

Here is a quick take at some simple edits using the content you already have:

With an interest rate of only 9.9% on car loans (hyperlink to Credit App page) with Auto Depot, down payment options to work within your budget and payments designed around your pay period it's no wonder why our customers enjoy doing business with us. Regardless of your credit history (good, bad or none at all) we will do our best to work with you to supply you with a vehicle you can afford and feel good about.

When you finance a car (hyperlink to Credit App page) with Auto Depot you automatically receive a 12 Month/12,000 Mile Limited Warranty covering the engine and transmission. Also, you'll receive 8 FREE oil change vouchers to help with maintenance costs and 2 FREE detail vouchers to help keep you're vehicle looking sharp! Customers who make all of their payments on-time receive a $1,000 discount off their contract. You get all of this and more when you do business with Auto Depot! Contact (hyperlink to Contact Us page) a sales person today for more details or view our current inventory of used cars, trucks and SUVs (hyperlink to inventory SRP)!

Give us a call at 256-331-3333!

---

I'll leave it at that for now as to not put everyone to sleep, but there is definitely a lot of low hanging fruit for you to harvest here with respect to local SEO (as is often the case with many stores). The thing about SEO is that a lot of the fundamentals are no secret.. they don't require special software or 'proprietary' tech... it is just plain old grunt work over time.

Sorry - just getting back into the DR forum - so a late reply here...

Honestly, the advice to combine all the sites into one is horrible advice. That would only be valid advice if you had 3 lots in the same city. With 3 different cities, you'd be killing your local relevance. You'd go from (potentially) having 3 websites that are each 100% locationally relevant to the cities they're in to one site that's at best 33% locationally relevant to the cities the dealerships are in.

But the other comments are right - concentrate on your onsite signals first. Links won't do squat if your sites aren't well optimized. Do the stores really have less than 10 cars in stock? if that's the case, you're going to have trouble competing based solely on the fact that you don't have much to share... but even if that's the case, with good Local SEO, you can still win...

I'd definitely suggest bailing on the Wayne Reaves sites - they're notoriously awful for SEO (I know from experience). Find a better platform that allows you to do everything you need to do for SEO. Then handle the basics. You need awesome content, and you need each page to be optimized well. Once you've got the site REALLY optimized, get your GMB listings optimized, and THEN go worry about getting links...

Sorry - just getting back into the DR forum - so a late reply here...

Honestly, the advice to combine all the sites into one is horrible advice. That would only be valid advice if you had 3 lots in the same city. With 3 different cities, you'd be killing your local relevance. You'd go from (potentially) having 3 websites that are each 100% locationally relevant to the cities they're in to one site that's at best 33% locationally relevant to the cities the dealerships are in.

But the other comments are right - concentrate on your onsite signals first. Links won't do squat if your sites aren't well optimized. Do the stores really have less than 10 cars in stock? if that's the case, you're going to have trouble competing based solely on the fact that you don't have much to share... but even if that's the case, with good Local SEO, you can still win...

I'd definitely suggest bailing on the Wayne Reaves sites - they're notoriously awful for SEO (I know from experience). Find a better platform that allows you to do everything you need to do for SEO. Then handle the basics. You need awesome content, and you need each page to be optimized well. Once you've got the site REALLY optimized, get your GMB listings optimized, and THEN go worry about getting links...

Good to see you back in the forums @Greg Gifford

Reactions: GerryFoster