• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Long Term Follow-up - Does it really matter?

A few observations:
  • Shoppers don't go car shopping to fill out a lead. One can argue, a lead submission is a not a positive shopping outcome.
  • Shoppers sometimes fill out leads because they don't see something on the website (in the comments they'll write: "I like one just like this, but not in white")
  • Often, shoppers have no intention to getting into a discussion (it doesn't improve their negotiating position)

Also, consider shoppers buy cars at different speeds:

upload_2015-6-18_13-17-49.png

Things that can make a shopper vanish:
  • 40% of shoppers buy in under 14 days
  • The lead source: The dealer site is often the last step in the journey

"most customers didn't respond to sales people because the information sent was irrelevant."

This is the most significant takeaway for me - not for this particular discussion...would probably fit better in this one:

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/your-first-response-what-are-you-trying-to-say.4411/

Our failure as an industry to adequately address what should be such an easy problem - ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION - is (at least for me) the biggest downfall of internet departments across the country

I remember being amazed by a newbie to the car industry -- he had been in sales all his life -- 30+ years -- but had never sold cars. Day 1 the manager started feeding him some inter-nutters.

His engagement rate was damn-near 100%. He won an August sales contest in month 3 (against 60+ other salespeople). His secret? He simply, naturally answered their friggin questions! No BS templates -- no "we'd like to learn more about your...." or "we're happy to set-up a test drive, would XX or YY work better for you?" Just picked-up the phone and spoke to the customers like he was speaking to his neighbor.

Being trained in APB Selling, it was a lesson I never forgot: in the new paradigm, I needed to "unlearn" what I had been taught. Today, it's not lost on me at that much of the "training" many Salespeople and ISM's receive actually teaches them how to alienate the Internet Lead/Customer. :)