• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Low Ball City - How to get the customer in the store ?

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
Man oh man the low ball quotes come out this month. They only thing I recommend to customers is make sure they get a line by line quote with a vin # . We try to tell customers " that dealer has to have made a mistake" or " there will be an additional sticker on the vehicle that will over charge for accessories". Rarely does that make a difference.

We could lie to customers and say " just come on in and bring the quote with you" , but we are trying to be straight shooters . It doesn't seem to matter to Honda customers.

Does anyone have a better plan or way to address low ball quotes ?

"We've never lost a customer due to price" - has always been a fav of mine.

Take another avenue and have a in house video cut teaching the customer what to look for when receiving a price quote from another dealership and how you differ at your dealership. Make it personal, transparent, up beat but to the point. Use this video on your dealership website and on emails when quoting price.

I especially love the low-ball post-argument email you get afterwards from people that make lol'zy offers. "Haha, i'm a dickhead, Enjoy not selling cars in this tough market!"
enjoy not buying a 2009 Prius for $12k out the door.

We've usually stuck with the "never lost a customer due to price" and it always gives the customer the thought of potentially getting a deal. Sometimes i'll pull up the occasional vAuto technique "1st beth prithed in a thithty mile radiuth!"

Jeff I like your idea about the video. Thanks for the tip!