• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Low Cost Live Chat Software

The software I used at Walser was called ActivaLive, which from a technical standpoint is far more flexible in regards to integration to other applications and had a more aesthetically pleasing interface than the others I evaluated.

It's not automotive specific, but might be worth a look if you're looking for something with good reporting, and potentially integrating it into other campaigns (ex: banners, widgets) in the future.

Hi Nick
It looks like some very nice chat software, but I don't think it would be good for your average automotive internet manager, it would be better for someone with a programming background. If you are a build it yourself type this would be a good consideration.

Shereef

CHAT DROP-IN ON HOME PAGE.

My view of the home page as the "fly over page" is validated. Adding the chat to the home page was a small improvement. Of the 35 chats per day that we log, the home page generated 3-5 chats. Most of these home page chats were for checking on finance app status.

IMO, the Home Page drop-in should be a very quick drop-in. The other pages should have a different delay setting. This way the visitor will have seen and ignored the home page drop-in AND wont see the drop-in unless they stop and dwell on a page. And when they do, they'll be less startled when it pops in on their page.

I am putting in a Request to Contact at Once for this mod.

Why hasn't a website or chat provider implemented something like Facebook's chat? In addition, is the technology not there for when someone clicks on the drop-down card that another window doesn't have to open. I personally get paranoid when window's and pop-ups start opening on my screen.

Shereef,

It's actually a great out-of-box solution, the tricky part is creating the CRM integration in ADF format more than anything. And of course there aren't any preset scripts built in specific to automotive, but that opens a whole other series of process issues.

On one hand, you can take a product like ContactAtOnce or Chat24 that's fully integrated into the automotive vertical, but sacrifice design and advertising potential. Alternatively, you can use a product like ActivaLive and have complete flexibility but must invest money into custom development so it can communicate with the various automotive CRM systems. Obviously there's workarounds to both systems. :)

I think the decision comes down to the goals, and digital advertising dealers are doing. I agree that average dealers would be better fitted with an integrated solution, but dealers that "get" live chat, and looking to drive more leads should also consider integration into advertising like display, widgets, apps and more. We do a lot of that at Cuneo for various dealers and have found some success with it.\

Benny,

Something like Facebook chat has two components. The design, and technology. From a technology standpoint, those modules can be very load intensive. It has the potential to slow websites down, or break things. As most 3rd party providers are built as template systems it can be a daunting undertaking from a development standpoint to implement it... especially when most can't even get basic "tags" in place to track search, display, or analytics.

Also, while I completely agree that things popping up is annoying and alarming-- they tend to perform... especially if it's user initiated or based off the behavior (ex: someone's looked at 12 vehicles but not called or submitted a lead. Or been on the same contact page for over 5 minutes). Making it look seamless, pretty, and perform is the challenge you touched on. :)

There's also the potential that network administrators have blocks in place to prevent that type of heavy scripting. As many people use live chat at work that could have a detrimental effect on results.

The technology is definitely there, though. Good idea.

Last edited:
You have two types of Internet Managers/Directors.
1) Salesman that learns the internet
2) Internet Guru who learns to sell
Thats how you start off 99.9% of the time. I was a Salesman that learned the internet but I was successful but clueless as to what I should have been doing. Of course these forums weren't around in 99. I run into more Salesman trying to figure out the internet more then the other way around. Having to develop software for these guys is not really an option.

Lets keep in mind here that most of us are bias and have reasons why we push certain products. I try my best to take my Contact At Once kool-aid glasses off but it is hard sometimes.

Dealers want convenience. You want to be a millionaire build one software that will manage deals, inventory, accounting, social media, daily task, F&I, submitting deals, chat, leads, keys, videos, calls, email, and deliveries.

You show them a product that is developed for them to make their lives more convenient and make it reasonably priced you are in the game.

Nick,

You seem very intelligent so please don't take what I said as a shot at you. I respect your opinion and your product that you push. I just don't think that having a product that needs programming will get far with the auto industry. You are absolutely right to much going on with a website like popups can cause issues. I can't tell you how many times I have to close 2 or 3 pop ups on dealer websites just to see the home page. You only have a few seconds to catch someones attention. So the argument becomes if the person wasn't interested anyway why would I want to chat with them. Well back to the good ole days. The "we are just shopping" folks are the same folks that told my boss "we really weren't going to buy today". As for the dropins/dropdowns I believe that as long as people can x out of them and it doesn't cover text that people would want to read you are fine. I am not sure about all but our dropin is not a pop up of any sort.

Here is a great reason to have chat. I called a dealer and there phones were down. At this point there is NO communication with the outside world except out bound calls from cell phones. The phones were down for half the day. Had they have had chat they probably would have gotten blown up by all the request but at least people would have been able to communicate with the dealer.

A savvy internet manager may want to try to make that happen a couple hours a day :).

All in all I think that chat is a plus regardless what product you choose. You will increase business!

Why hasn't a website or chat provider implemented something like Facebook's chat? In addition, is the technology not there for when someone clicks on the drop-down card that another window doesn't have to open. I personally get paranoid when window's and pop-ups start opening on my screen.

You won't see nearly the amount of chats with a standard button. You can choose that option with any chat provider. You do not have to use the dropins.

You won't see nearly the amount of chats with a standard button. You can choose that option with any chat provider. You do not have to use the dropins.

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about with Facebook. It's not a button you push. It's integrated, real time into the software so there are no pop-ups or anything. You should look at it if you haven't.

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about with Facebook. It's not a button you push. It's integrated, real time into the software so there are no pop-ups or anything. You should look at it if you haven't.

I understand what you are saying. The problem is that the chat is featured in a corner somewhere. That is fine but it won't produce the amount of conversations as a moving ad for chat.

I think your idea is great but the results would be minimal. Just my opinion.

Off subject this entire page including the content box is a button for the car research ad above. Funny!

I understand what you are saying. The problem is that the chat is featured in a corner somewhere. That is fine but it won't produce the amount of conversations as a moving ad for chat.

I think your idea is great but the results would be minimal. Just my opinion.

Off subject this entire page including the content box is a button for the car research ad above. Funny!

I'm by no means insinuating that the bottom corner should be the only form of advertising the chat. I agree that you need to constantly have the offer of chat in front of them. I'm only suggesting the tight integration of chat with the site.