• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Make Every Salesperson An Internet Manager?

JohnMarzy

Green Pea
Jan 6, 2011
First Name
John
So recently we had a discussion about "upgrading" our sales staff. The goal would be to develop a job description that included the responsibility of being "Internet Certified". Then as leads were processed by the BDC, only salespeople that obtain this in house certification could handle Internet Leads.

I know of many stores that routinely follow a process of giving leads to there salespeople. Some have no rhyme or reason as to who gets the lead and others decide that the person who greets the client gets the lead.

I am looking for and advice, job description or process that would make it a more formal process to get the Internet Leads from the BDC.

Thanks in Advance.

To add on to your EXCELLENT idea John, Training & Certification is but the beginning, not the end.

I my case, I am amazed at how slooow we are to reply to internet leads. There is no sense of urgency. Your sales manager will need feedback tools to help him/her monitor and score the reps.

ALSO... Not every rep is capable of working internet leads. One way to find who your real players are is to look at the closing ratio of email leads form the last year. Divide the results into 3 groups. Top 20%, Bottom 20% and everyone else.

Job #1). Remove the bottom 20% from internet leads now.
Job #2). Stuff all the internet leads you can into the hands of your top 20%
Job #3). Do you need anyone else to work the leads? If so, then create a minor league team that gets over flow by hand picking the best from the middle of the pack.

Thanks for the salesperson selection list. We are going to crawl, walk, run with this strategy. We are going to hire ISR's to respond by email and phone. They will earn an hourly, plus bonus on apts that show and maybe a sold bonus. I want to filter out the bottom 20% like you suggested but I do not have a closing history to use, because none was kept. My plan was to come up with some sort of certification that would be able to weed the bottom 20% out.

Any suggestions or recommendations based on my plan?

"upgrading" our sales staff. The goal would be to develop a job description that included the responsibility of being "Internet Certified"

I would love to do this...it would be a lot of work but would payoff huge. My question is - why not start with a "sales certification" before a sales person can take ANY customer, ANY phone call or ANY Internet Opportunity? Most sales people-people don't even take the initiative to educate themselves on sales 101.

I'm not an advocate for the BDC to schedule appointments for the sale floor - certified or not. Appointments need to be scheduled with a sales or desk manager. Want to see a 20-30% increase in appointment to show? Have a sales manager confirm the appointment - "Any if anything changes, you will call me won't you?"..

John, you're on the right track. Crawl, Walk, Run - many times the BDC is viewed as an expense if sales are not quickly increased. A dealer will axe the BDC (something that's working and will eventually increase sales and CSI) in order to cut the expense while allowing the sales floor to continue on the way they always have. And for some unknown BS reason, we continue to get away with it. For now...

Reactions: 1 person