1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Metric chasing absurdity

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by Alex Snyder, Nov 3, 2015.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    We are drunk on leads and VDP views. I think we're chasing the metrics to the point where we are creating a bad customer experience. What got me to finally say this: A Canadian dealer is using the steering wheel as the glory shot just to get VDP views up.

But that's just one example. Chat boxes in your face, talking credit app ladies, text us buttons all over the site, and 19 different calls to action are also examples we are nuts on trackable conversions. I just think all this stuff paints you out to be the typical car dealer people love to hate: an obvious predator.

Sure, if your marketplace is full of obvious predators then I guess that's the norm. I like to call that the "rule of equal incompetence".... the entire marketplace chases each others' ads, vendors, and employees to the point where everyone is identical. In that kind of place I guess this Canadian dealer would see a bump.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. skutchhenks

skutchhenks
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Skutch
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Skutch Henks Training LLC
    I know, it's funny. You gotta love this business though, when we get more excited about metrics than actually selling cars. We're fishing for buyers online, not hunting. The bait is our new and used inventory, vehicle merchandising is a big factor. You can't force shoppers into a process to get their information or trick them into being interested online. A shoppers perception of us also matters in the buying decision, but I think that plays a secondary role for the majority of buyers, simply because most dealers still have that predatory style online.

I like this pic, I wish someone could replace the bait below with pictures of vehicles. Uncle Joe's face on the fisherman would be a bonus too.

[​IMG]

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 1
  4. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    "Turn on your headlights and you'll have more VDP views"

-Cars.com reps advice yrs ago.

This is merchandising 101. If something's not selling, reset it on the shelves, give it a fresh signage and BAM, you got action!

#3 joe.pistell, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  5. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    This is a VDP?? WHERE'S THE CAR???

upload_2015-11-3_16-51-8.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. JessicaRuth

JessicaRuth
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Jessica
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    whatjruthsaid
  7. jon.berna

jon.berna
    Expand Collapse
    D.R. Truth

First Name:
    Jon
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Driven Data
    Twitter Handle:
    Jon_Berna
    If we are talking strictly about merchandising...

The medicine is to focus on adding real value to the experience. Invest in a photo booth, challenge your website provider to offer higher resolution images, create real videos of your cars. Stop adding widgets. Describe the internal recon work. Hire/develop a vehicle merchandising manager and give them every tool they need to manage and execute the process. Essentially, do all of the stuff the competition won't because they require a certain level of process adherence and effort to maintain them that they aren't willing to go to.

While they are busy adding neon-green widgets and taking pictures of upside down steering wheels you will give the customer information they want.

8. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner
    Expand Collapse
    Founder

First Name:
    Jeff
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh & Mercedes-Benz of Hagerstown
    @Alex Snyder@Alex Snyder well F*&K me.. I think you may have come up with one of the best quotes ever in our industry...

"we're chasing the metrics to the point where we are creating a bad customer experience." :drunk:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner
    Expand Collapse
    Founder

First Name:
    Jeff
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh & Mercedes-Benz of Hagerstown
    What's your car worth? Or maybe you would like to chat instead?

10. Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Bill
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Haley Auto Group
    I blame it on the HIPPO's (highest paid persons opinion.)

When talking about lead conversion tools on the website, he first two questions that they always ask -
    "How much traffic is it going to get me?" and "How many leads are we going to get? We need more leads!"

Unfortunately, customer experience is not part of the conversation.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JamieS

JamieS
    Expand Collapse
    Refresher

First Name:
    Jamie
    Dealer or Company Name:
    FFC
    The VDP is a great metric. How many products will anyone sell if nobody sees them?

That said, I think we know conversions are not what they used to be. I most definitely know how many old school conversions come through (phone calls and emaills), but these are such a small, shrinking percentage when compared to views/users/sessions or whatever traffic number you choose to use. This doesn't mean we're selling less cars (in fact we're selling more than ever and expanding), it means shoppers are less interested in traditional means of contact. IMHO what not do is throw up (no pun intended) 'stuff' all over the VDP thinking it will generate more traditional leads. And while yes, more leads are great, it is more important to give users what they want through ease of use/user experience.

I mean really, could we make means of contact any more obvious? These are adults we're talking about, do they really need giant flashy arrows and buttons? I'm guilty as well, and we're in the midst of a complete site overhaul for this very reason.

I guess what I'm saying is people will convert into a buyer if you've presented a product their interested in buying, in a manner they like. But it won't be because you only have 4 ways to convert and not 5.