• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Monday Morning Quarterbacks

gsanders

Green Pea
Apr 27, 2010
First Name
Gary
As fans of any professional team sport, it is very easy to second guess decisions because we are not the ones making them. I always find it funny when fans can’t believe a player was traded or released from there favorite teams. Wayne Gretzky is the greatest hockey player of all time in my opinion. He played for four teams in his career. Joe Montana, one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, was released from the San Francisco 49ers in 1992 and finished his last two seasons with Kansas City. One year later when Montana was released, the 49ers won the Super Bowl with Steve Young in 94-95 season.

As “Fansâ€, we would have never made these trades or moves. Do you have a “Fan†making your dealers digital decisions? Fans don’t see the big picture and the “what ifs†down the road. Adding new vendors to ones we don’t properly use now does not solve problems. Changing vendors when the ones we have are working just fine is not the answer. Ask more questions. Get the people at the dealer level who will be responsible for using the new product involved in the decision. (You can still look like a hero when it works.) Fireworks are great when it’s the Forth of July; not when you are being sold a new product that you are not ready for. Do we now need to measure how much time is wasted working with vendors that are not right for any given dealer in our ROI?

Gary, I like your point. I think it's a pretty easy statement to agree with. (mostly because you mixed hockey in there) Have you put any thought into how you'd actually quantify this or recognize when someone is being a fan instead of a hardline negotiator?