• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

NADA & NIADA - An Idea to Help You, Us, and Consumers!

Mar 21, 2012
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Why doesn't NADA and/or NIADA launch their own online inventory classified website?

What's in it for them?
It dramatically increases the allure of being a NADA/NIADA member = adding new members + ability to justify higher membership dues.

What's in it for dealers?
Being able to cut expenses by potentially eliminating Autotrader/Cars/Cargurus once the newly created NADA/NIADA marketplace starts to generate results.

What's in it for consumers?
The ability to shop the largest selection of inventory available online.

OEM's like Ford are launching their own online marketplace for used cars (Ford Blue Advantage), it only seems natural for NADA and NIADA to jump in the mix.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Offering a platform for dealers to advertise to the general public would be a huge pain in the ass and a B2B dealer trade/buy portion would end up being a conflict of interest. My guess. But I can see where you're coming from as it relates to the ability to justify higher membership dues.

Although it would be nice for dealers,
  1. Inventory syndication is actually a real mess and accepting inventory from various providers can be a real headache and a source of endless support tickets
  2. Launching the platform nationally to consumers costs millions in advertising dollars - getting a foothold like CarGurus did is not easy or cheap
What's in it for consumers?
The ability to shop the largest selection of inventory available online.
This message alone would be very difficult to sell, as other classifieds sites have already tried to make this exact claim.

I am a state officer of my Independent Association, and have spent a great deal of time looking at this. I have gone so far as to talk with vendors about handling it for us.

Money is of course the first point here. As everyone here knows, it will take some money to get it up and going.

As @craigh said above, getting inventory feeds from all of these different providers could prove challenging. On the franchise side, there are maybe 10?? website providers that cover 90% of the sites. On the Independent side, there are literally hundreds. Of course we could start with Carforsale because they control the largest share and they are generally great to work with.

There is something here for sure. States that mandate continuing education for their Independent Dealers (GA, TX, IA, CO, etc.) have a huge advantage in this space because they have huge membership and can therefore easily generate operating capital quickly. Even if they roll out for $100/month it is doable.

What surprises me @Ryan Everson is that none of the vendors have thrown this idea together and approached any of the associations on a revenue share proposal.

I am interested, just don't know exactly how to go about it. Maybe I need to learn.

Reactions: craigh
@Ryan Everson I'm just waiting for them to become an actual standards developing organization (SDO) or standards setting organization (SSO) for the auto industry. Most all other industries have such entities. NADA already set "guides" for dealers within their operations (variable and fixed guides for statements) but they need to expand into other areas of measurement for conversions of leads, standardizations of data file formats, inventory files (columns/headers), standard naming for fields, etc. Maybe we're too far gone to set a standard inventory file layout that works for all classifieds, IMS, CRM, and DMS but wouldn't that be great?

I don't think it's a good idea for them to expand their public-facing presence. I think they've shown that by minimizing their existence in the realm of shopper vehicle evaluation business. When is the last time you saw a shopper with an NADA value in hand? They need to maximize dealer-learning, champion the industry for change (customer experience), continue advocating for our industry within state and federal governments and start to expand their standards for our industry as an industry beacon. With that said, I joined an NCM 20Group because the NADA equivalent was poor.

Reactions: Tallcool1