• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New car listing site?

I like that the #1 item was MP3 - if people understood what that meant I don't think it would be anywhere near #1.
iPod and Bluetooth make perfect sense.
Tires seems like one of those things that people only select when it's presented to them as an option - haven't looked at the source though.

Great information either way.

@Chris Leslie,
I tend to agree with what Joe mentioned in this regard. Increasing conversion rate among existing shoppers might be the way to go.

In terms of getting shoppers to buy more often, individual dealerships should attempt that by keeping in touch with their customers. "tempt" them by bringing them in to the dealership more often. (I am talking going beyond just phone calls / greeting cards....more like Free food, parties, golf/poker tournaments with sponsored prizes + test drives etc., or snag 'em during service visits with the latest model car). I am not sure an industry outsider can come up with such a tool.

FWIW, I am working on a prototype. Goal is to get something up and running for <$2000. I am still stuck trying to get a meaningful domain name. Every name I could think of....and I thought of a few 100, has been taken. Some interesting domains (that are simply parked) are asking much as $10,000.

I know most of you think this is an exercise in futility....but if you have a name to suggest, I would be most grateful.

I'd like to add: "or a sprinkle of mad scientist genius, as seen by CarGurus"

haha true!

So there are a few notches that have been filled up in the last few years (CraigsList, CarGurus, TrueCar) but these have been very, very few and with large amounts of--social need/luck, brain power/experience, check book/exclusive partnerships.

Have those opportunities dried up or are there more to exploit and what it takes?

There are dozens of them trying: Matt Koening is trying the Hispanic market in his zone of influence for example.

And there are hundreds that failed: Check out nwautos.com, owned by the Seattle Times, they have 21 accounts probably free (they advertise in the paper).

There's a way, but convincing them you offer something that the others doesn't is the difficult part there.
Can you prove that your visitors aren't also viewing cars.com, etc?

Take a look at CarLister.co - they're trying to take a fresh run at Classifieds and a whole new approach.
I'm certainly not saying it's done right, but you might be able to learn from them.
Looks like that model died.
now... https://auto.live