• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Dealer Advertising Laws - Does your state have one?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
This came across my desk for the state of Maryland.

NO MORE subtracting all those rebates that usually don't apply to 90% of consumers. Example: Military Discounts, Loyalty Rebates and such. Maryland Dealers are now ONLY allowed to exclude taxes, tags, freight and dealer processing charges.

What LAW does your state have?

Do you think having the ability to advertise a price backing out all the incentives and rebates (even if most don not qualify) gives your dealer an advantage in getting the customer to submit a lead or make a phone call from your dealer website?

------

New Dealer Advertising Laws Now Effective for Maryland

Effective October 1st, Maryland automobile dealers must follow a new advertising law. The new advertising statute requires dealers to only advertise the full delivered purchase price of the advertised vehicle excluding ONLY taxes, tags, freight and dealer processing charges. The freight and dealer processing charge can be excluded so long as the disclosure follows existing font size and notice requirements (Example - Dealer Processing Charge (Not Required by Law). Furthermore, the full delivered price must be in the largest font In the advertisement pertaining to vehicle price. This law already existed as an MVA regulation, but now it carries statutory authority.

Any advertisement that advertises a final vehicle price in the largest numerical font followed by assumed deductions for rebates, discounts, money-down, etc will be scrutinized by the Attorney General's office. Please call Travis Martz at the Association with questions, 800.526.7423.

Big question. Does this prevent the use of bullshit "appearance package" bump stickers that are not mentioned except under the completely bold faced lie of "some vehicles may have dealer installed accessories"?

I HATE BUMP STICKERS!

Interesting law. Cuts out a loophole at least. Being on the border of MD I wonder if we trick any customers by including specialized rebates where their local dealer wouldn't be able to. I don't bother with that much detail in marketing so I don't know.