• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Hyundai & Amazon Partnership

Ryan Montville

Full Sticker + Prep
Jan 13, 2015
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Hyundai Dealers,

We want to inform you that we will soon be announcing exciting new enhancements to our collaboration with Amazon. Since launching in 2018, our digital showroom at Amazon.com/Hyundai has been a custom landing page where car shoppers can learn more about the Hyundai brand and directly connect with local Hyundai dealers to start the purchase process.

Building on our recent digital retailing efforts, beginning on October 7th at 12pm, we are pleased to tell you that Hyundai’s new vehicle inventory, as well as build and price tools, will now be available on our Amazon digital showroom. This will help drive more traffic to your dealer websites and showrooms. The inventory will appear just as it does on Hyundai.com and will link customers directly to the vehicle detail page (VDP) of your website.

We are the first automotive company to place its dealers’ new vehicle inventory in the Amazon store, which is a natural evolution of customers’ expectations on where and how to shop for products. As you know, Amazon is unique from other third-party and endemic sites given the vast number of daily visitors and customers. Other automakers may soon have this functionality, but we are the first on Amazon.

The goal for this collaboration is to offer unique opportunities by:

• Increasing retail activity at your dealership, both online and in person
  • Continuing to prioritize a fast, easy, transparent, and best-in-class shopping experience
  • Improving Hyundai’s brand opinion by building interest in our most technologically advanced and eco-friendly vehicles in Amazon’s store

To position you to take advantage of this exciting new opportunity, all dealers have been automatically enrolled to have their inventory displayed at no cost to you. If you’d like to refrain from having your inventory featured, please submit your request via the form here (https://forms.gle/8NXUb9mfDPHc7KQr9) and allow up to three business days for your inventory to be removed. In the future, if you’d like to reverse the opt-out request and have your inventory displayed, you can opt-in via this form here (https://forms.gle/fdj6ZRUiVnYYSJv47).

We greatly value the partnership between Hyundai and its dealer body and we’re always looking for innovative ways to drive retail activity at your stores. We hope you share in the excitement of our expanded collaboration with Amazon, and will join us in taking another step forward in the Hyundai digital retail experience.

Sincerely,

José Muñoz
President and CEO
Hyundai Motor North America

How can an Amazon user get to this page without knowing the exact URL?

I can't seem to find it in any of Amazon's nav or search results.

They sure are proud to be the first, but it doesn't seem like it will drive many results in its current form.

I doubt non-Hyundai dealers will have much FOMO over this.

Reactions: Ryan Montville
How can an Amazon user get to this page without knowing the exact URL?

I can't seem to find it in any of Amazon's nav or search results.

They sure are proud to be the first, but it doesn't seem like it will drive many results in its current form.

I doubt non-Hyundai dealers will have much FOMO over this.

I agree it's impossible to find. We have not gotten more info beyond that letter, but a tier 1 ad campaign from Hyundai would be my guess (work out all the bugs in time for Super Bowl?). The fact that Amazon is giving the user an option to leave amazon.com and visit a dealer website is a big deal.

The page wasn't updated when I posted this thread, so I just got a chance to see it. Tons of things wrong. They're defaulting payments to 7.65%, 48 mos. and $2k down, which shows default payments way too high. If there isn't an exact match down to the ext/int color, it shows 0 availability instead of close matches. Inventory at my store is linked to autolist.com instead of my website (other dealers are linked correctly). I'm sure there are more bugs, but this is what I've found so far.

I don't see this bringing any traffic TODAY. But I think we can agree that Amazon Vehicles has been dormant since day 1. Perhaps this is their baptism? If they are getting serious about automotive, it will be interesting to watch it unfold.

How does the inventory feed work here? When I put in my zip code, it shows only one local dealer, despite multiple local dealers having stock of the model & trim in question? The rest are hours away from the zip code entered.

How does the inventory feed work here? When I put in my zip code, it shows only one local dealer, despite multiple local dealers having stock of the model & trim in question? The rest are hours away from the zip code entered.
I experienced that too. For me, it had to be an exact match all the way down to interior/exterior colors.

Bad timing.

Amazon is all about being able to deliver the thing you find on their site fairly quickly. This could have a rocky start with depleted inventories. Consumers can be forgiving with a poor initial rollout, but are Hyundai Executives invested enough to see this past any rough beginnings… months of rough beginnings.