• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Macbook pro for christmas!

SlickRick

Full Sticker
Mar 11, 2010
First Name
Rick
Hey guys,

I just ordered a new Macbook pro for work + for home. I told myself I need one amazing computer for at least the next 4 years and I believe it was worth the investment! What I got:
Macbook Pro 15”
2.4GHz quad-coreIntel Core i7
8GB ram
750GB HD @ 7,200rpm
Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
+
Apple thunderbolt display 27”

This is a gift I did to myself for Christmas! I will be installing parallels so I can use era & manheim simulcast on it. Anyone know if contact management crm works with safari browsers on a mac?

I also got this beautiful stand to put it my house with the thunderbolt display:
BookArcPro.jpg

Anyone know any nice business bag for the Macbook pro ?

Very nice :thumbup:

I switched back to Mac almost 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. In the dealership I had to use a virtual machine for a few things that needed Internet Explorer, but the two programs for doing that work very well:

VMWare Fusion (what I use)
Parallels

As for bags, there are five ba-million-ja-gillion of them. I started with the Thule Crossover Backpack and have been buying nothing but Thule stuff since (even replaced all my luggage): Search Results - Apple Store (U.S.)

Take a look at some of these DealerRefresh threads too:

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f39/apple-applications-youre-using-1686.html
Macs for Car Dealerships - how to make it work

How do you compare VMWare to Parallels, I was reading a couple of reviews online and a lot of people are recommending parallels! Also using a virtual machine will it lag your computer?

Thanks a lot those bags look awesome, specially that messenger bag! I will definitely order one.

I tried searching but couldn't find if Reynold's contact manager i compatible with safari.

Happy Holidays, Rick!

How do you compare VMWare to Parallels, I was reading a couple of reviews online and a lot of people are recommending parallels! Also using a virtual machine will it lag your computer?

Thanks a lot those bags look awesome, specially that messenger bag! I will definitely order one.

I tried searching but couldn't find if Reynold's contact manager i compatible with safari.

Happy Holidays, Rick!
When we bought our first license here (my photographer and I both use Macs), it came down to cost--if you're using it like we are (Reynolds, Office, and IE), it doesn't really seem to make much difference. If you want to game or use high-end software (CAD, anyone?), then you'd probably want to pay more attention to specs.

ReyRey CM doesn't officially support Safari; I got it past the login screen, but no further.

As to whether a VM will bog down your computer: It depends on how you configure it. I run an iMac with 4 GB of RAM, and one gig is occupied by the VM I run--even at idle, the VM will consume that full amount of RAM you allow it. I never seem to miss it (or if I do miss it, I'd miss quick access to Excel and ERA more). How much RAM you allocate to the VM will depend on your Windows needs and hardware limits.

Nice Christmas present for yourself!

I still quibble over my iPhone, missing some of the features I had on my BlackBerry but when it comes to my PC and Laptop - I have NOT looked back since moving over to Apple.

I have a MacBook Pro and a New MacBook Air. Moving over to the Apple OS was effortless for me. Alex told me a long time ago - "unlearn PC" and you will quickly grasp OS X. So true!!

How are enjoying it so far?

I have the same computer you have. I have parralells and love it! I haven't done my home work on it but I have noticed there seems to be two ways to use it 1) run the windows desktop or 2) run windows in background. It has stuck on me a few times but I have been very happy with it. Well worth the money! That was the first thing I did when I brought my machine home. The thunderbolt is cool but nothing is ready for it yet. I need to go buy the larger screen and mouse/keyboard.