• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New to BDC, could use suggestions and tips

Nov 30, 2019
First Name
Christine
Hello. :)

I was hired onto a brand new BDC department about 6 months ago, but with all the personnel changes I (and my coworker) went about 4 months without a manager, and I pretty much just tried to wing the interacting with the customer. I come from a customer service/clerical background and not sales, so people loved talking to me but I wasn't getting a lot of people in the door.

I have a manager now (yay!), and I'm getting steered in the right direction. I'm also at the dangerous point where I know some, instead of knowing none or knowing most, and (most important) not knowing my limit.

I would very much like to hear some tips and tricks. Especially for better emails (template? what's that?), better email subject lines, and countering people's reasons for not coming in so I can turn a "but" into a "sure". And a biggie, with the people who hang up when I introduce myself, what word order will keep them on the phone long enough to realize that I'm talking about a vehicle they wanted information about?

And, how do y'all keep your day straight and on track? There are days where I kinda want to cry a little because it seems like there are more tasks than I can do in a day.

Thanks!

Reactions: Brittany

Marc Lavoie

Refresher
Jan 3, 2019
First Name
Marc
Hi Christine, good job on taking initiative! I know it can be overwhelming.

It seems like you already know you need better systems in place, keep going! I hope you can find the help you need.

If I can do my part, we have a quick 5-day follow up cheat sheet you can download for free over on our site.

I suggest you also take a look at the Resources section of our site to help you with the rest.

For the people hanging up on you, what's your current word track?

I don't necessarily advise you follow a script on the phone but having a clear direction and key info you're looking to catch.

Also, templates are not bad per say. It's just that when we think about templates, we imagine a 600 words email with no personalization.

You should use use 1 or 2 sentence templates to increase performance and speed.

I'm sure other people on here can help you as well.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Nov 30, 2019
First Name
Christine
I am definitely going to check out that cheat sheet, and the resources, thanks!

The hang ups go like this - "Hi, I'm Christine with <Dealership>, I'm following up on your interest.." -click- Sometimes the click comes before I can even say "following". I know a lot just don't want to take the time to tell me to not call in the future, but I'm sure there's a fair number who think it's a cold call or a bill collector and would talk to me if I can get it across that they asked for the information I have.

There's a lot of templates in the system, but since the BDC department is new they are all written from the point of view of the sales staff contacting the customer. I know I would be told if my emails are not proper, but I don't want to bug my new manager to micromanage my acceptable emails, she's got enough on her plate as it is. Changing a word or two can change the entire tone of a written statement, for the better or worse, and I want better. And my subject lines suck.

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
May 1, 2006
First Name
Alex
The hang ups go like this - "Hi, I'm Christine with <Dealership>, I'm following up on your interest.." -click- Sometimes the click comes before I can even say "following". I know a lot just don't want to take the time to tell me to not call in the future, but I'm sure there's a fair number who think it's a cold call or a bill collector and would talk to me if I can get it across that they asked for the information I have.
Do you know the source of the leads that are hanging up on you?

Steve Stauning

Jr. Refresher
Mar 15, 2012
First Name
Steve

ChrisR

Refresher
Oct 12, 2015
First Name
Christian
I've used Stauning's training to help supplement what I have been doing with my teams for quite some time. Definitely works well.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner