• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Non-responsive customers

I don't know about the "80% of people do not buy the car they originally set out to buy" part, Alex.

The number is actually 86% and it's in reference to the specific car they inquire on. So if I called in on a blue five speed VW and I drive out in a red one, then I've purchased something different than what I initially inquired on.

So when you do have to send out a price quote, I would always suggest that at the bottom you provide links to other similar vehicles. I'd even include some late model pre-owned since the longer a person goes without buying new, the more likely they are to go pre-owned.

well we have a great new website, and that is helping. Most of the leads I get only offer the year make and model, of a new car and that is it, the customer has not included a note in most cases, or a trim level, or color or any options for that matter. So I need to get them on the phone to investigate, or to respond to emails so I can get that information and help them properly. Its kind of hard to know the prospect without the information. So what tools can I use to get them on the phone to get that information. Maybe I am looking at this in the wrong light. I can say this with the help I have received so far and with trying some new things today I am 3/4 in setting appts. So keep the examples coming.

Yoda,

I have some really great news for you, please call me when you have a moment. I can be reached at 585-749-2015.

Jerry, I agree with you somewhat here but I'm going to turn this around a little.

"I have some really great news for you, would it be OK for me to call you at 585-749-2015 with in the next 10 minutes?"

Action - Permission - Urgency

80% of people do not buy the car they originally set out to buy.

I don't know about the "80% of people do not buy the car they originally set out to buy"

True and True...

So, don't send out price quotes immediately - find a different method on that first email.

In this case I think you need to email the customer a "quote" of some kind right away. After all, that is what he/she asked for.

It's great to hear so many takes on this..

It's all in how you want to engage the customer. I don't think there is a right or wrong here. Use what is working for you -trial and measure.

I personally want to see if I can engage with the sense of urgency to service the customer first. If I can engage that way with the first email..I'm in. If not..move to the next step.

We often forget that our BEST source of follow-up material is our inventory. Be professional, serve the customer and provide information (while NOT forgetting to ask for something in return).

Last edited:
Jerry, I agree with you somewhat here but I'm going to turn this around a little.

"I have some really great news for you, would it be OK for me to call you at 585-749-2015 with in the next 10 minutes?"

Jeff, I normally use that technique when leaving a voice mail. I do like your e-mail technique. That might also be a good text message to send if you know it's a cell phone number.

The bottom line -- there are a bunch of different ways to accomplish the mission. What works in one part of the country does not always work elsewhere. When trying different e-mail templates I would suggest placing an 800 tracking number on the template and this way you can get a sense for which one works best.

Well it sounds to me that you've got enough telephone skills and awareness. But you asked about getting a reply via email. For me, I use a template that acknowledges that:
#1. Your not the only dealership they were contacted by
#2. That by the time they get this email, that they may have already purchased.
#3. If you say your doing normal follow up , it's telling the customer your just doing your job

I like to use terms such as common sense, still looking or normal follow up. So I created a template that uses these terms and it gets a pretty decent response. Here is an example of the template. Of coarse I tailor the template.

Dear Blah Blah,

My name is Dan O'Neil and I am the internet manager at Joe Blow Honda. I doing some normal follow up from an internet inquiry we received on Oct 10th.

Common sense tells me thatwe are probably not the only Honda dealer that contacted you. I also know that you may have made a purchase by now.

We have new and very aggressive price points since your last inquiry. This month , the honda accord you originally inquired about received some extra incentives that we would like to pass on.

Another great anouncement is Honda has extended the special finance rates we discussed and this save you money.

We also have a improved selection of Honda Certified Accords to choose from. Here is an example link

Have you made a purchase or are you still looking ? Would it be ok to call you with the new details ?

So this is an idea. It may not be perfect, but it is something you can try.

I'd like to make a comment about phone calls. When I do reach a customer, I always take the curse off the call.
Meaning the 1st thing I try to ask is " have I caught you at a good time" .

If they say it's ok, most of the time they have not purchased. If it's a bad time, they bought.

In the internet department, it is crucial to shop your competition.When you shop, you get ideas on how to be better. Many of us had very low inventory for October and we all tried to hold some gross. But now with inventory levels improving, my dealership has become much more aggressive . When I follow up with old leads, I can show any where from a $300 to $1000 price difference. I am excited to see what November brings.

I'd like to make a comment about phone calls. When I do reach a customer, I always take the curse off the call.
Meaning the 1st thing I try to ask is " have I caught you at a good time" .

Dan,

Showing respect for a persons time is always a good game plan when making outbound calls. However, since people are more inclined to say "no" than "yes." I always word the question to get a "no" answer. "I hope I am not catching you at a bad time?" Of course I do this before I tell them who I am.

So it goes like this:

"Is Dan there?"

"Dan I hope I am not getting you at a bad time?" They normally say "no" since they are curious as to who you are.

"This is Jerry Thibeau from Phone-up Ninjas and the reason for my call is to thank you for taking the time...."

I am searching for ideas to get non-responsive customers to actually respond. After the lead I send out an email with the information requested, it includes price, rebates (new), special Internet price, a copy of the window sticker (new) and I usually do this for three vehicles that are relevant to the lead. I then call with in a few minutes of that email. I then follow that up with several emails and phone calls if they have not responded. Most of these emails are templets as I find it difficult to keep coming up with new information for someone whom I have no information on yet other than year, make and model. Any ideas, how can I get better.

Using similar vehicles in your emails is a good tip. They may have inquired on a Ford Expedition and you gave them the price and everything and then they decide they can only afford a used one or maybe a new Ford Escape instead. So mixing it up and sending similar vehicles and giving them some other options might catch their attention.