• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

On Site Directory

CAORYAN

Boss
May 28, 2009
First Name
Ryan
Has anyone ever tried adding a local directory to their dealership website? I ran this idea by Alex a long time ago on Wave and he was unsure about it. I have been testing it and it works. Check with legal but I added a city directory on a site. I did not add it to the main navigation but I did link to it in text. It is indexed and it actually comes up when you search the competition. I do not link to them but I use their name and category search.

So for dealers you may have a page that says "Atlanta Directory". Within that page you may have a section that says "Dealers in Atlanta" and list all the dealers. Now this can work both ways but you run the risk of someone seeing this link and finding another dealer name and wanting to contact them.

You want to set it up so that it does not come up when people search your dealer name. If you can get links to that page from outside sources saying "My Competition" you will get rank for that keyword.

I guess this could be considered gray hat seo but I don't believe it is black hat. I get people looking for local restaurants and they find my site and actually few multiple pages. I thought it would kill my bounce rate but it hasn't. I offer deals on the landing page that they would be interested in.

Pasch may be able to shed some light on if this is considered black hat but I think it could make the user experience better depending on how you set it up.

Don't hide the page, don't link to competitors, and plan the layout of the page.

What do you think? Would you try it if someone with more creditability gave it a green light?

Ryan,

On the flip side, your creating what Google Local calls "citations". Citations are text based business records that Google uses to help verify any business and add authority to Local Search Results.

Please List me too! ;-)

Let's do a lil test. Let's see if the citations below make it into my stores Google Local landing page

Citation Examples:

Sun Chevrolet, Inc.
104 West Genesee Street
Chittenango, New York 13037
Phone: 1-315-687-7231
Fax: 315 687 7918

Sun Auto Warehouse
8010 Brewerton Road
Cicero, New York 13039
Phone: 1-315-698-6808
Service: 1-315-698-4500
Fax: 315-698-6809

Sun Auto Warehouse of Cortland
3870 West Road
Cortland, NY 13045
Phone: 1-607-662-4600
Fax: 607-662-4610

Sun Chevrolet, Inc.
Sun Chevrolet, Inc. - Google Maps

Sun Auto Warehouse
Sun Auto Warehouse - Google Maps

Sun Auto Warehouse of Cortland
Sun Auto Warehouse of Cortland - Google Maps

Citations can be found at the bottom of each landing page, see: More about this place

Time stamp! 10:15am May 5th

I was messing around this back in the day. Problem is - you sometimes need to keep a decent relationship with some of the other dealers for dealer exchanges. They will eventually catch on.

You could also build out a directory site on another domain while using the site to promote your dealer and message. Another time and resource suck to manage it and keep it ranked in the serps.