• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Other Careers in the Automotive Industry?

Maybe some background on myself - I spent 3 years in a rigorous telesales position in another industry. Knew the family of the auto dealership and they lured me into being their Internet Director. I've been the ISD for almost 2 years now. I lead the internet dept. for 3 of our brands. We don't utilize a BDC center, althogh I've asked for it and was rejected. I have a team of guys at each store that go cradle to grave.

However, I feel stuck. I make just as much money as our top floor salesman, so I don't feel like I would make more money if I shifted my skills that way. Nor do I want to be come a desking manager or a General Manager. I've been networking with other Sales Managers in other industries, and Automotive sales are generally looked down upon. I have 3+ years of successful sales experience and now about 2 years of successful management experience, but I feel like there is no where to go other than to bide my time in this position until I can fit some of the experience requirements to get a job with an OEM.

Maybe some background on myself - I spent 3 years in a rigorous telesales position in another industry. Knew the family of the auto dealership and they lured me into being their Internet Director. I've been the ISD for almost 2 years now. I lead the internet dept. for 3 of our brands. We don't utilize a BDC center, althogh I've asked for it and was rejected. I have a team of guys at each store that go cradle to grave.

However, I feel stuck. I make just as much money as our top floor salesman, so I don't feel like I would make more money if I shifted my skills that way. Nor do I want to be come a desking manager or a General Manager. I've been networking with other Sales Managers in other industries, and Automotive sales are generally looked down upon. I have 3+ years of successful sales experience and now about 2 years of successful management experience, but I feel like there is no where to go other than to bide my time in this position until I can fit some of the experience requirements to get a job with an OEM.

A fair question is "What do you want to do?" I like that you can lay out what you're not interested in, but how about the flip side? Are you particularly interested in technology? Marketing? Pure sales? Plenty of automotive marketing, software, and technology companies would love to talk I'm sure. One thing I love about this industry is the fluidity of opportunity and skill sets.

A fair question is "What do you want to do?" I like that you can lay out what you're not interested in, but how about the flip side? Are you particularly interested in technology? Marketing? Pure sales? Plenty of automotive marketing, software, and technology companies would love to talk I'm sure. One thing I love about this industry is the fluidity of opportunity and skill sets.

If I could carve out any niche, it would be BDC/call center consultant. The one aspect of my current position that I enjoy is training. I'd love to get into that sort of role, but my dealership is a no-go there. Then it would be the marketing and technology aspect. I wouldn't be opposed to getting away from the stress of sales.

If I could carve out any niche, it would be BDC/call center consultant. The one aspect of my current position that I enjoy is training. I'd love to get into that sort of role, but my dealership is a no-go there. Then it would be the marketing and technology aspect. I wouldn't be opposed to getting away from the stress of sales.

General observation here ..

Seeing as you don't really don't want to be desking deals or a GM of any kind. It doesn't sound to me like you are cut out for a 'management role'. Not a dis, but there's a certain skill-set that a good manager will have and some of us just aren't cut out for it.

Consultant you say? Oh, the American dream .. travel the country and tell people how to run their BDC for a week and collect a big fat check. Joking aside, there are plenty of companies that do this, but these guys have a heavy history a most have rolled out a good amount of successful BDCs. I wouldn't doubt they are looking for a little bit of help. LinkedIn has gotta be a good start for networking there ..

The "marketing" side could be any number of things ... but it probably wouldn't hurt to look into one of the many vendors out there. They technically most all help "market" the inventory (and consult the dealer) and have their side of trying to get more traffic, leads, etc.

If you have the experience and drive. There's definitely no shortage of jobs out there. Just keep your mind open and find out what really makes you happy.

Example: If tomorrow the boss told you that you could run a full blown BDC, but you would be getting paid minimum wage and would be working 80 hour weeks ... would you still do it?

General observation here ..

Seeing as you don't really don't want to be desking deals or a GM of any kind. It doesn't sound to me like you are cut out for a 'management role'. Not a dis, but there's a certain skill-set that a good manager will have and some of us just aren't cut out for it.

Consultant you say? Oh, the American dream .. travel the country and tell people how to run their BDC for a week and collect a big fat check. Joking aside, there are plenty of companies that do this, but these guys have a heavy history a most have rolled out a good amount of successful BDCs. I wouldn't doubt they are looking for a little bit of help. LinkedIn has gotta be a good start for networking there ..

The "marketing" side could be any number of things ... but it probably wouldn't hurt to look into one of the many vendors out there. They technically most all help "market" the inventory (and consult the dealer) and have their side of trying to get more traffic, leads, etc.

If you have the experience and drive. There's definitely no shortage of jobs out there. Just keep your mind open and find out what really makes you happy.

Example: If tomorrow the boss told you that you could run a full blown BDC, but you would be getting paid minimum wage and would be working 80 hour weeks ... would you still do it?

It's not that I can't or that I'm not good at it. I only fill in at the desk when needed at this point. My job, and what I'm good at, is the prospecting. As other Internet Managers, the bulk of my time is spent on the 350-400 iLeads that we get a month. I also spend the other part of my time working with our Commercial/Fleet road guys, generating their lead lists. In addition to our website, social media, inventory, specials management, CRM training, sales reporting, etc. etc. etc.

I just feel stuck. I've done well for myself, and I'm just a lad compared to the average age of managers across my dealership. I don't want to think that I only have 1 1/2 more levels ahead of myself as far as career growth. And I'm counting desking as a half level because I already do run the desk on an as-needed basis. My pay wouldn't necessarily change if I decided I wanted to be more of a desking manager instead of what we're doing now.

I just want to see that there are other avenues out there for me. I was discouraged when I was talking to a buddy of mine who is a sales manager for a technology/medical company. I have just as much background as he does, with the same if not better retaliative success but he's getting job/interview offers left and right through LinkedIn and I might get the a job for an entry level rep position every once in a while.

Maybe another topic is why is the Auto industry looked down upon? In my opinion, we have to be more aggressive than many other industries. We have to be smarter with our marketing because customers tend to be very fickle. Is it a generational thing?

Edit: To answer your question, I wouldn't run the BDC for minimum wage but at this point, I may take a small step back in pay in the short term because after I get it going, I know I could negotiate a larger pay plan once I prove it's worth.

Sales isn't stressful when you're good and making lots of money. Consultants are constantly selling, my trainers are selling, everyone has to do some selling at one point or another. There are lots of opportunities to be capitalized on, just need to put yourself out there more both socially and physically.

One thing I would recommend, put your real name out there for starters, and it wouldn't hurt to add a picture. Come to a few conferences each year and start networking, even if you have to do so on your own dime.

That's my advice.

Reactions: 2 people