• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Outside Payroll company

rwright

Full Sticker
Aug 6, 2013
Awards
First Name
Roger
Does anyone out there use an outside payroll company instead of the payroll provided by their DMS? Dealertrack is rolling their payroll application over to Netchex and we must decide to convert to Netchex or use another provider. Does anybody use a provider they like? At the very least it must do checks on demand and have GL integration.

I have never had an outside provider process Payroll. I have looked at it many times over the years, but found it to not save any time that would justify the cost of the service.

I assume your DMS provider is Dealertrack, and I don't know that they will have an payroll vendors with GL Integration. For whatever this is worth, it is really easy to set up a spreadsheet that will produce a GL Entry that someone in accounting can easily punch manually. Of course this really screws up reporting within the payroll expense accounts if anyone ever needed to do a GL Account trace. My point is that it CAN be done easily without a GL Integration.

Quickbooks has a very robust payroll system if you want to maintain the ability to process within your store. Paychex is a company that comes to mind if you want to outsource to someone other than Netchex. I personally know nothing about Netchex but it seems to me that they will be the only company that will seamlessly integrate.

To Clint's point, integrating with a third-party payroll service that isn't part of your DMS or ADP's payroll services requires some manual effort. If your bookkeeper is up for it, there are Quickbooks, PayChex, PayData, Gusto, and many others.

To Clint's point, integrating with a third-party payroll service that isn't part of your DMS or ADP's payroll services requires some manual effort. If your bookkeeper is up for it, there are Quickbooks, PayChex, PayData, Gusto, and many others.
thanks for the reply Alex. it would be me and another person posting the payroll manually in the GL. It's not that we can't do it, it's that what Dealertrack says and what you get are usually two different things.

Last edited:
I have never had an outside provider process Payroll. I have looked at it many times over the years, but found it to not save any time that would justify the cost of the service.

I assume your DMS provider is Dealertrack, and I don't know that they will have an payroll vendors with GL Integration. For whatever this is worth, it is really easy to set up a spreadsheet that will produce a GL Entry that someone in accounting can easily punch manually. Of course this really screws up reporting within the payroll expense accounts if anyone ever needed to do a GL Account trace. My point is that it CAN be done easily without a GL Integration.

Quickbooks has a very robust payroll system if you want to maintain the ability to process within your store. Paychex is a company that comes to mind if you want to outsource to someone other than Netchex. I personally know nothing about Netchex but it seems to me that they will be the only company that will seamlessly integrate.
thanks for the reply. I, like you, have been approached by several 3rd party payroll processors but found i could not justify switching. I can post our payroll manually, but to do that also means posting each work in process entry for each of our flat rate techs in order for the schedule to clear (and that's a lengthly process). I am trying to see if anyone out there does use a 3rd party for payroll and who and if they like it. I wish I trusted Dealertrack more, but I will give them credit for updating their payroll (which was not very functional).

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. I, like you, have been approached by several 3rd party payroll processors but found i could not justify switching. I can post our payroll manually, but to do that also means posting each work in process entry for each of our flat rate techs in order for the schedule to clear (and that's a lengthly process). I am trying to see if anyone out there does use a 3rd party for payroll and who and if they like it. I wish I trusted Dealertrack more, but I will give them credit for updating their payroll (which was not very functional).

Not to hijack your post, but I am going to hijack your post. Just kidding.

How many technicians do you have, and do you use a variable labor rate?

Not to hijack your post, but I am going to hijack your post. Just kidding.

How many technicians do you have, and do you use a variable labor rate?
we have 18 techs. some are straight hourly. some are flat rate. what makes posting payroll tricky (we import the flat hours from DT for payroll) is the hourly techs still get flagged and our WIP is scheduled, so we have to make entries so the schedule will clear. we have a posted labor rate but rarely charge it. It's almost always discounted.

we have 18 techs. some are straight hourly. some are flat rate. what makes posting payroll tricky (we import the flat hours from DT for payroll) is the hourly techs still get flagged and our WIP is scheduled, so we have to make entries so the schedule will clear. we have a posted labor rate but rarely charge it. It's almost always discounted.

This answered my question. I was wondering why you schedule WIP, but if your service drive is constantly discounting then you really don't have much of a choice if you have that many techs.

I would be looking into Netchex pretty hard (which is what you are doing in this post) if I were you. You have a situation that will just not work without an integrated solution. I guess your other option would be to stop scheduling WIP and just inventory open tickets at the end of the month (if you will pay techs on open tickets) and make an Unapplied Time entry.

Good luck to you on this one Roger. You will figure it out!

This answered my question. I was wondering why you schedule WIP, but if your service drive is constantly discounting then you really don't have much of a choice if you have that many techs.

I would be looking into Netchex pretty hard (which is what you are doing in this post) if I were you. You have a situation that will just not work without an integrated solution. I guess your other option would be to stop scheduling WIP and just inventory open tickets at the end of the month (if you will pay techs on open tickets) and make an Unapplied Time entry.

Good luck to you on this one Roger. You will figure it out!
thanks for the encouragement. yes, we will figure this out. I have a very good person working with me. We may very well stay with DT and Netchex, but we figured we owed it to ourselves to check out other options. Another thing we do that makes it tough is we still do weekly payrolls and also same day payrolls. Won't be able to that as easily with a 3rd party payroll.

Reactions: Tallcool1