• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Overcoming [modern] Objections

Modern objections are really no different than the objections we faced when I first got into the business in 1998. Some things have changed but others have remained the same. Customers have new contexts to place them in but they are essentially the same ones. The key to overcoming any objection is the timeliness of well thought out response. Every objection is an opportunity to close a sale. The conditions of a sale are we sometimes can't meet. It still comes down to knowing the difference between the two. The only thing that makes it tough now is these customers don't come in to work these objections at a dealership anymore. They do it by email and it is difficult to come across with any sincerity.

The basic format to handle objections as taught to me by Henry Ford:

When you hear an objection, restate it in the form of a question: "You don't like the blue?" or "Why do you feel that way?" Often, objections will sound rediculous when stated back to the customer.

Confirm that it is the only objection: "Other than color, is there anything else that would bar you from purchasing this car, today?"

Handle the objection In this case you try to sell the one in stock or possibly locate one (in the case of a new vehicle).

Confirm that you have answered the objection: "Now that we have resolved the color issue...." usually this is a good time for the assumptive close. If you don't confirm that the objection has been resolved, it keeps coming back up.

This is a very basic but it works much of the time. Green Peas tend to ignore objections. It leaves the customer thinking that "he isn't listening to me".

Reactions: 1 person
Moden objection(maybe?): Customer comes in to look at one of your used vehicles and while negotiating price, they make a comment about another similar vehicle at a different dealership 3-4 or more hours away. "Back in the day" this customer probably wouldn't have ever known about this other similar vehicle, but now with the internet giving the customer a greater search potential they (the customer) may try to leverage this other vehicle during negotiations (Not that it is a very great tactic, but I've heard customers say this).

Or how about: "I've read reviews all over the internet how (insert used car) have terrible (insert common problem)!

I think many of the objections are on similar principles but different details?

Moden objection(maybe?): Customer comes in to look at one of your used vehicles and while negotiating price, they make a comment about another similar vehicle at a different dealership 3-4 or more hours away. "Back in the day" this customer probably wouldn't have ever known about this other similar vehicle, but now with the internet giving the customer a greater search potential they (the customer) may try to leverage this other vehicle during negotiations (Not that it is a very great tactic, but I've heard customers say this).

So is this a price objection?

If so, how 'bout: (after, of course, you've agreed that it's pretty-much the same car) "So if you can have this car at that price, we'd have a deal?"

New School Details, Old School answer. Anything wrong with that?