• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pacing and Leading

KatieColihan

Full Sticker
Oct 23, 2009
First Name
CarChat24
Pacing and Leading was a technique I had been taught by a Training Consultant, Ken Kingstad.

Do any of you use this technique which focuses on investing some into the phone call before asking for anything?

Example:

"I'm afraid of what my credit looks like"

"(Pace)I understand where you're coming from
(Pace) With the economy these days, everyones credit has taken a hit, especially my own.
(LEAD) You know what? Let me do this for you....how about we go ahead and get you with our Special Finance Director that way he can give you the special attention you need and deserve."

So, in essence, you're complimenting, stroking the ego a bit, and then asking for something.

Do any of you use this, and if so, how's it working for you?

I do that as well, pacing helps keep the conversation fluid and thus, maintains a customer's comfort level. I also agree with your method of building quick rapport with empathy. I do that as much as possible and have had very good results.

I've found with most sales calls I don't have to necessarily assume the role of an order-taker and pacing helps establish a more of an advisor role.

The tricky part for me, though, is falling into the trap of giving out too much info or just plain having too long of a call. I firmly believe an initial call needs to be kept to 3-4 minutes long in order to maximize getting prospect info. Like everything else, pacing is good only in moderation.

The tricky part for me, though, is falling into the trap of giving out too much info or just plain having too long of a call. I firmly believe an initial call needs to be kept to 3-4 minutes long in order to maximize getting prospect info. Like everything else, pacing is good only in moderation.

Moderation is exactly right. The way it was introduced to me in a training course was in 3's - three empathetic statements, then a request and it was to be done each time you were asking something of the customer. I felt that 3 was too many, and they started detecting that you were trying to "suck up". Personally, 1 or 2 at most paces before a few leads in the call worked well.

This worked well for about 6 months, or until other companies caught on and began doing it as well, so when people started hearing it, they detected what you were doing as a sales technique. I got a call the other day from a guy who was trying to sell me windows who spoke very quickly, and kept asking "Can we come out today or tomorrow?" I wanted to say "trying to hard, buddy, at least pace me a little bit".

I also had a rough time with long calls at first, so I can relate. Something that worked for me, at this is just a suggestion; I'd have a few "side stories" on hand to begin to tell... "You know my dad and I were just talking about this the other day, and he had a lot of the concerns you did.... but I'm getting off track, I want to make this as quick and smooth as possible. When would work best for you to come in?"

...This way it kind of transfers the "blame" onto you for the long call, and it puts your request not to get off track out there in hopes they won't get off on a tangent either.

Just a quick something to try and see if it works for you.

Just sounds like a repackaged version of the "feel, felt, found" sales pitch from 1991 or so.

I understand why you feel your credit might not be good enough
Many of my other customers felt the same way
but my special finance director found a way to get them a loan

let's go pick out a car....

all sounds good in the training sessions, but in real life isn't it easier without the "techniques"?

all sounds good in the training sessions, but in real life isn't it easier without the "techniques"?

I think the Feel, Felt Found approach sounds very similar, however a bit outdated, but the basis still works. Not enough people use the technique, IMO. I personally am a hater of all training, just because I'm stubborn and have a personal flaw of being uneasy with being told what to do. But, I have the pacing and leading idea (investing into the conversation, and then asking for something) a try, and it works. I even use it in daily life and it works.

Love it.

Good thread.

I hear ya, I understand, I agree...

Sad thing is.. I don't care if it's Feel Felt Found OR Pace Pace Lead. 98% of all sale people are not familiar and if they are they don's use it.

Just like you said Katie, "Not enough people use the technique" - I find myself using this all the time. Those years of sales training paid off.

Always agree with people, always understand where they are coming from to help divert of the objection.

The funny thing, is that when I come across someone who uses it on me, (like a job offer did yesterday) I almost get insulted. Like "don't use my tactics on ME!" But, you're right, most people aren't aware of it. It really is a seller, and if you get creative enough with it, and natural enough with it, then you're golden.

Instead of "I understand..." maybe an "I hear you..." or "I'm totally with you there..." because I think "I understand" is incredibly overused. Just an example.

I've gotten free meals using it -- I don't abuse it, but it absolutely benefits me in everyday live as well.

Instead of "I understand..." maybe an "I hear you..." or "I'm totally with you there..." because I think "I understand" is incredibly overused. Just an example.

If you want to take it to a whole new level you can try this:

Audio based individuals: I hear where you are coming from
Visual based individuals: I see where you are coming from
Kinesthetic based individuals: I feel where you are coming from