• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

PR & News Pasch's AWA Awards Canceled for 2024

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
After 14 years, @brianpasch has decided to retire the AWA awards: After 14 Years We Are Retiring

The name itself did not indicate what these had become: Automotive Website Awards. Many categories didn't have to do with websites at all. The Lighthouse Award many DealerRefresh members have won is one example.

We are hosting Brian on RefreshFriday October 27th, 2023. There are many things to talk about and this is now on the list too. With that coming show in mind, what would you like to see from a new iteration of automotive awards?

If there are going to be awards, there has to be a voting body that awards them and I find that concept very difficult with the vast variety of automotive vendors and solutions.

Other than that, a few things that may help:
  • If there is an entry fee, it should not be related at all to the awards given or the number of awards given
  • I would rather see 1st, 2nd and 3rd rankings than "most innovative" vs "most promising" vs "best" (feels like participation trophies)
  • I would like to explore the idea of awards by different categories, rather than just websites, CRM, etc.
    • Best use of AI in Automotive
    • Best Security Solution for Dealers
    • Best Customer Satisfaction Solution
    • Most Innovative Use of Old Technology / Most Innovative Use of New Technology
    • Best Inventory Merchandising Tool :unclejoe:
I think developing a system that works for everyone is virtually impossible, but if we could somehow find a way to evaluate and rank solutions on a fair scale, that primarily factors in what is best for the dealer or the consumer, I would love to see what that looks like. I just find that beyond just "pay to win", too many awards are clearly given to either the big players, friends of friends, etc. Sadly, I think that applies to all awards in all industries.

..as a vendor, I can assure you that virtually all industry awards are "pay-to-play" and is a marketing expense to the vendor, and a revenue item for the person handing out the awards... I receive numerous emails regarding these awards, and similar other activities that are supposedly about "helping dealers" but in reality they are just creative ways for some folks to make a few bucks, and for vendors to try and stand out above the crowd. I don't blame either of them, but let's be honest about what it is. It is paid marketing.

I agree with Craig; awards should be decided by dealers; the people using the software. Their opinions are the only ones that matter.

Driving Sales tried that. It became a vendor-fest for who could send the most clients to leave a review on their page.
Well, I don't mean a page where people leave reviews. But a voting body or some such. Not sure what the ideal method is, but my point is that, ideally, dealers are the ones deciding and not the people counting how much cash they received from vendors..

Well, I don't mean a page where people leave reviews. But a voting body or some such.
Ah - gotcha. I can get behind that in the same way there are certain YouTube reviewers I like to follow. If that were the case in the car business, that could be trustworthy for those who appreciate that person.

Jeff and I have toyed with the idea of taking recorded demos and giving our opinions. I wish we had the time to pull it off because that could form the basis for what you and Craig are proposing. It may be possible to form a "committee" of DealerRefreshers by genre to come up with awards for each category at the end of the year.

Reactions: Mark A Hoffman