• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Post your blog - bloggers discussion thread

I used to have a wordpress blog that was a seperate URL from our main website. I think this was an extremely bad idea.....

It's hard to make a point when my blog URL is "capitalTailgate.com" instead of "geo+usedcar/newfordmodel/somethingSeoRelated" BUT I think a subdirectoty in the LONG term is a poor choice. A blog ends up with just as much, if not more authority, the a dealer website in a year or so and to have a targeted URL will reap MUCH more benefit then a blog.dealersite.com.

Dealer.com is pretty progressive so they've likely fixed it by now but a few months back I heard the blogging tools where a little stripped down.

It's hard to make a point when my blog URL is "capitalTailgate.com" instead of "geo+usedcar/newfordmodel/somethingSeoRelated" BUT I think a subdirectoty in the LONG term is a poor choice. A blog ends up with just as much, if not more authority, the a dealer website in a year or so and to have a targeted URL will reap MUCH more benefit then a blog.dealersite.com.

Dealer.com is pretty progressive so they've likely fixed it by now but a few months back I heard the blogging tools where a little stripped down.

I think your point validates mine. I blog because I want SEO benefits for my website - so that more people come to my site and request information - and buy cars from me.

For that reason alone, a blog as a subdirectory makes much more sense. The deep links that you can get from effective blogging and an online presence will reap tremendous SEO benefits (especially for long tail keywords) if the blog is on site, as opposed to being off site. The chances of a separate domain creating traffic to my site from a blog is slim to none.

Also, keep in mind that for the SEO benefits, I believe a subdirectory (dealerwebsite.com/blog) and not a subdomain (blog.dealerwebsite.com) is a better choice.

I want to make it clear that I am not looking for the blog reader traffic to buy cars from me - instead I am using my blog to create articles that interest others to link to them in an effort to increase my SEO efforts for my website. I want my blog to push my store, not just to have a blog.

Last edited:
@ Scott. Perhaps you could give some rookie bloggers the best plug in for Spam. My blog was getting around 50 spam comments a day until I had a friend @DevBasu help me out. Can be frustrating for early adopters.

If you are using wordpress, Akismet is pretty much the default tool for preventing SPAM. It should come with any new download of wordpress. Also, make sure you have the discussion settings set up the way you want.

exactly

@ Scott. Perhaps you could give some rookie bloggers the best plug in for Spam. My blog was getting around 50 spam comments a day until I had a friend @DevBasu help me out. Can be frustrating for early adopters.

wordpress has it covered, if you want to be really strict then you can set it up so every comment has to have admin approval.

The deep links that you can get from effective blogging and an online presence will reap tremendous SEO benefits (especially for long tail keywords) if the blog is on site, as opposed to being off site. The chances of a separate domain creating traffic to my site from a blog is slim to none.

A blog hosted on a dealership site is not going to earn links because your dealership site contains overt marketing, and it's just not what people link to.

A dealer site should be optimized for funneling traffic to lead conversion and introducing a blog into it will distract the user and likely do more harm than good.

Several of my clients are doing quite well with their "outpost" blogs for SEO. I've yet to see any dealer site rank like this:

These are the kind of results that come from building a blog on its own domain and publishing very high quality content and earning quality links. Its not something most dealers will likely want to become involved with because of the time it takes.

As for creating traffic from a separate domain, standalone blogs do well there too. As in top 5 of all referring sites.

I did this for one of my friends before the Fiesta came out. I really had no idea what I was doing at the time, and not sure I even do now. The problem is my site is not targeted to consumers so I received a crap load of bouncies. Still rank #1 here in Toronto though. Imagine if a dealer had wrote this ....

A dealer site should be optimized for funneling traffic to lead conversion and introducing a blog into it will distract the user and likely do more harm than good.

Several of my clients are doing quite well with their "outpost" blogs for SEO. I've yet to see any dealer site rank like this:

These are the kind of results that come from building a blog on its own domain and publishing very high quality content and earning quality links. Its not something most dealers will likely want to become involved with because of the time it takes.

As for creating traffic from a separate domain, standalone blogs do well there too. As in top 5 of all referring sites.

It's great that your clients' blogs are ranking well. What is that doing for them selling cars or getting traffic to their site?

Personally, all I care about is selling cars to make money for my family. If a blog isn't going to do that for me, then there is no need to do it.

So, are you telling me that just because my blog is a subdirectory of my site, that I won't get links back? Even if my content is of the same high quality? That doesn't make sense. Every blog out there is sacked full of advertisements. My blog has zero, it just happens to be affiliated with my store.

It just seems weird to me to spend a ton of time on a blog that isn't doing anything for your store. If you are going to do that - blog about something where you can at least reap some affiliate dollars or something. And, don't tell me it is building high funnel prospects and working towards branding - because I don't care about anyone buying a car unless they are within a 90 mile radius of my dealership. The guy in Kansas or California reading my blog doesn't matter to me, if it isn't at least giving me the ability to get deep links to my site.

It's great that your clients' blogs are ranking well. What is that doing for them selling cars or getting traffic to their site?

Let me try to explain the best I can how this sells cars and drives traffic. Other than the fact it can cast a larger net and measure explicitly how people use information and make informed purchase decisions, which then reveal the key indicators of how consumers act in the "browse - shop - buy" stages of a deciding on a car.

Lets consider one is using a blog as a form of communication since that is why they exist.

They don't exist because people needed something strong for SEO, they exist because they are powerful communication tools.

Communication Preferences Are Changing - Mobile - Social - Real Time - Sharing And Inviting others into the conversation

When someone calls a dealership it would be absurd to run their credit before inviting them to the store. But if they show up and aren't pre-qualified are you risking the chance of losing someone who walks through the door that is?

So instead of insulting their financial status, perhaps there is a way to attract these types of people who can afford it.

Lets consider then, the fact that selling someone a car means 99.9% of the time they have to go into the dealership.

So if that's the case, and you rely on people coming into your dealership then how do you find these people? Is that the marketing departments responsibility? Is it the dealers problem because they stopped buying leads? What I'm getting at is, unless you've got a solid referral and lead source that works for you then you are at the mercy of those who provide you with customers.

Marketing is now a significant part of your daily work

Most realize marketing strategies are changing faster than companies with even the deepest pockets can manage to keep up with.(this is good news for dealers BTW).

Big companies led by old leadership insist on controlling the brand at the highest levels of the organization. This is changing now that companies like Ford have invested and can show the ROI on social media.

My evaluation of measuring the dealer website visitors and their behavior is that two major groups exist, those who already know who you are and those that don't. An indication of someone who already knows you in your reporting is that they use search terms that include your brand name.

This represents a huge percentage of overall traffic to a dealers website, branded keywords in the search terms used.

Now, if we first look at the ones who already know you, lets divide those into people who either send you referrals and those who don't. If you were to apply some sophisticated mathematical formula to those who send referrals you could make a fairly confident assumption that there is a linear relationship between the number of those who refer business to you and the overall number of people who know you.

The more people who know you, the more referral type customers you can stand to gain, the more word of mouth business, the more money you make.

And considering that someone has recommended you, and lets say they know you always say "make an appointment", then odds are they will do so in having faith from the referral source. These people are being prepped without you having to do anything.

Now lets say in order to do this you must put the relationship before the deal, if that's not likely than a blog is probably not going to produce for you.

Personally, all I care about is selling cars to make money for my family. If a blog isn't going to do that for me, then there is no need to do it.[/blog]

This tells me that you have not yet identified your ideal customer. Because you don't start a conversation with "Bob, you must be calling because you finally decided you are buying a car and want me to prequalify you".

Instead you have more than one conversation, expressing interest in what matters to them, and out of this relationship you know what line of work they're in, whether they like Starbucks coffee every morning, and most importantly how many ways you can help them be more successful by following them on Twitter, and ideally reading their blog(because your ideal customer has one and thats how you met) where they would be ecstatic to get comments from you that lead others to comment.

So, are you telling me that just because my blog is a subdirectory of my site, that I won't get links back? Even if my content is of the same high quality? That doesn't make sense. Every blog out there is sacked full of advertisements. My blog has zero, it just happens to be affiliated with my store.

Are you sure? It reads very much like an advertisement to me.

It just seems weird to me to spend a ton of time on a blog that isn't doing anything for your store. If you are going to do that - blog about something where you can at least reap some affiliate dollars or something.

If you have a new blog then you probably don't have an audience. If you don't know who your audience is, or what they respond to then yes I would say it isn't going to go far.

And, don't tell me it is building high funnel prospects and working towards branding - because I don't care about anyone buying a car unless they are within a 90 mile radius of my dealership. The guy in Kansas or California reading my blog doesn't matter to me, if it isn't at least giving me the ability to get deep links to my site.

Ok, so what I'm hearing is that your ideal customer lives within a 90 mile radius of your dealership.

What else do you know about this customer?

What are you willing to learn about them that doesn't involve them buying a car?

Lets consider one is using a blog as a form of communication since that is why they exist.

They don't exist because people needed something strong for SEO, they exist because they are powerful communication tools.

Communication Preferences Are Changing - Mobile - Social - Real Time - Sharing And Inviting others into the conversation

Clearly, your take on the importance of blogs and my take are different. My reason for blogging is to create high quality content for SEO purposes only. And I don't buy into social media for car sales.

However, I do believe in creating high quality relevant content on my website devised at driving relevant traffic to my website.

Bottom line, creating two sites is creating two different brands - and that isn't the route I intend on taking. There are plenty of highly regarded SEO experts that would agree that off site blogs are not nearly as effective as on site blogs.

I don't believe that knowing what coffee my customer likes, or whether I tweet them or not, has any relevance on whether they buy a car from me. Sure, they might, but they might not. However, I do know that I can make my site more visible to those looking to buy a car online - and then I can create a rapport with them - through my site and through my contact with them.

Believe me, everyone on my twitter and facebook accounts know I sell cars, and if I had to rely on them to make my paycheck, I would be broke. However, the people that find my dealership by the content I create online - they have become a very sustainable part of my income.

Clearly, your take on the importance of blogs and my take are different. My reason for blogging is to create high quality content for SEO purposes only. And I don't buy into social media for car sales.

However, I do believe in creating high quality relevant content on my website devised at driving relevant traffic to my website.

Bottom line, creating two sites is creating two different brands - and that isn't the route I intend on taking. There are plenty of highly regarded SEO experts that would agree that off site blogs are not nearly as effective as on site blogs.

I don't believe that knowing what coffee my customer likes, or whether I tweet them or not, has any relevance on whether they buy a car from me. Sure, they might, but they might not. However, I do know that I can make my site more visible to those looking to buy a car online - and then I can create a rapport with them - through my site and through my contact with them.

Believe me, everyone on my twitter and facebook accounts know I sell cars, and if I had to rely on them to make my paycheck, I would be broke. However, the people that find my dealership by the content I create online - they have become a very sustainable part of my income.

I call to the stand @DevBasu.. don't let the fact that he is Canadian fool you , he has earned the title "seo expert".

Great Thread