• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Prices on website... yes or no?

Timely finding: Webmaster: Increased My Conversion Rate & Google Rankings Improved

Dropped Prices, Increases Conversion & Google Rankings Improved

Timely find Joe.

My father would always say - "if there's no price listed, there's a good chance you can't afford it". Granted, this was when the surf'n turf was listed "market value" on the menu. :)

It makes common sense. People want to know you're in business to do business. They want to know you're making deals. They want to know they are going to get a good / fair deal.

Customers view; not showing price = a dealer that plays games. In return there is a "chance" they're NOT going to get a fair price. Or they'll have to wheel'n deal and suffer through back and forth negotiations. Not exactly what the customer looks forward to.

This is what I do and recommend that keeps the phone ringing, leads coming in, walk-ins waking in and no tarnish of perceived reputation (easier to get the managers onboard with too)...

Price all new inventory with MSRP. Units over 30-45 days old receive a discounted price and continue to be discounted in increments every so many days after. Come up with a pricing/discount strategy but do it and be consistent with it. This way all your inventory is priced, and good percentage of your inventory is also discounted. The customers perception is you're in business and willing to "discount". As you are.

Many phone calls (and form leads) go something like this "yes, I'm interested in the 2013 Silver Nissan Altima you have on your website but it's not discounted like all the others that are almost identical, what can you do with this particular Altima?"

It's easy to explain that the higher priced vehicle is a fresher unit and the pricing is reflecting this. But....

Say the right thing and that's a solid appointment! I'll allow Jerry to chime on with a word track...

In Kelly's case, I would consider the dealers location, average consumers age and make of vehicle. There's always exceptions based to geo / demo / psych variables.

Discount pricing, a strong Why Buy, Positive dealer reviews, value transparency (like PureCars report),
mirroring the manufacturers incentives and promotions, specials on your specials page - all adds up to increased conversion.

TIP: Get these discounted vehicles onto your Specials page. You need to have Specials!! And not 2-3 specials either. Build your specials out to mirror the manufacturer specials, rebates and lease payment specials another with any individual discounted vehicles.

I'd like to see a simple case study that shows if there's any increase in conversion (form and calls) on a dealer website that has a consistent amount of new car specials throughout the month. Bet I know the answer.

Joe, I couldn't find what type of products the author was selling. I don't think that Amazon would remove their prices and remain successful. I have done it both ways and those findings don't represent my experience with pricing my cars. Actually, it was the opposite. My suggestion is that dealers only price the ones they want to sell.

Reactions: 1 person
Doug, don't stop there, you need lots of other creative marketing and merchandising when you don't have prices posted. How else do you support this strategy AND how dependent is this on franchise competition (i.e. Chevy vs Lexus)?

Right on Joe. As I mentioned above, many variables need to be considered.

Industry website provideders should consider A/B testing features within the dealer Admin. Understandable, this can be costly and as vendors track how often a dealer logs into their product/service admin, there's little encouragement to place the resources into something of the such.

Last edited:
Pricing on your website? YES.

To me, a website without pricing (regardless of product being sold) means either I can't afford it, or the company was too lazy or didn't care enough about the site to keep it updated. Either way, not something that encourages me to want to shop there. I also am a huge fan of instant gratification! And I'm sure I'm not alone. I want to see information up front, not have to call or submit a lead to someone I've already formed a negative opinion of.

I also have tested this both ways. Not by choice, but because we were forced to remove some of our pricing that was below MAPP. If you look at our reports, you can pinpoint exactly when it was removed. Our leads and traffic for those brands took a nosedive, plus we are losing ground in search results....

Reactions: 1 person
Uncle Joe Rule #121: "Dealers are like snowflakes, no two are the same"

No prices vs prices loosely connects to Neiman-Marcus vs Walmart. Roll with me on this...

Generally speaking, if you were to compare 2 identical dealers with similar websites in 2 nearly identical marketplaces and one dealer had prices and another had no prices, this is what I would expect...

The dealer without prices would see

• --more email leads (fishing for price)
  • --more calls (fishing for price)
  • --a poorer lead closing ratio
  • --less return website visitors (the site didn't help the shopper)
  • --less internet sales
  • --less lot ups

Again, generally speaking, when a store has no prices on it's website, the business model they're building is set up for the highest gross PVR possible. This model is HIGHLY dependent on sales skills. A store's performance is squarely in the hands of the GM/GSM and like a pro sports team, management is 100% responsible for the sales team it has recruited, trained and supported.

To compare, let's go allll the way to the other end of the spectrum. Prices are posted, but they're priced low. Let's say it's a velocity dealer hitting on all cylinders, turning inventory 10-20 times a year.

The dealer with market leading prices would see

• --more email leads (leads fishing for availability)
  • --More calls
  • --a higher lead closing ratio
  • --more return website visitors (the shopper gets it)
  • --more internet sales
  • --more lot ups

In this model, the stores financial performance is less dependent on sales people and more dependent on operations (aka Walmart).

There you have it, Neiman-Marcus vs Walmart. Both are successful. One with high gross, the other with high volume.

Isn't this biz great! :)

Reactions: 3 people