• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Project Management Tools: How Do You Keep Track of it All?

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
I've got my hands full with all sorts of projects. I've been passing emails back and forth with Keven Frye and he's just launched 52 new sites on March 1st... gulp, I should stop whining!!!!

We all manage tasks, big or small, what tools do you use to keep your head on straight?

• Pen and Paper and post it notes (one of my favorites)
  • MS Outlook's tasks
  • Web Tools?
  • MS Project?
  • Do you wing it? ;-)

How do you keep track of your "non-CRM" tasks?

I always have a Word doc open and as I come across something I have to do today I put it on the list. As I accomplish my task I strike them out in red. At the end of the day it's nice to see that list completed. I get a good feeling of self accomplishment. However there are days when I can't complete the list and it gets carried over to the next day.

I set tasks in MS Outlook, and some will sit in there for months (bigger projects, new ideas, etc.). I still use the pen and paper a lot of times as well, lol, but I need Outlook to keep me from forgetting things. If I did not, the notes I take at Digital Dealer would rot away, so I make it a point to make them a task and schedule a time to address each one. If you find a better solution, please let me know!

I use basecamp to help manage projects. You can set projects, goals and alerts. They have a few mobile apps as well.

I also use a to do program on my blackberry that ties into the BB calendar which of course ties into my Outlook. One of the reason I'm still on BlackBerry.

Online project management software allows you and your remote players to work together.

I tried BaseCamp, but I preferred Project Management Software, Project Planning Software, Time Tracking Software: Wrike more. Has an MS Outlook look and feel. Wrike is good when your ready to assign tasks and link new tasks to start when one task is completed. Wrike is not good for free-wheeling collaboration on a project in it's infancy. BAseCamp's better suited for that. Now that we've hired Moore and Scarry, I'm less of a project manager and more of a idea guy. I should give BaseCamp another look. Good heads up thread for me!

Last edited:
I'm always managing projects so basecamp seems to work well.

Also check out rememberthemilk.com - simple and sorta integrates with several platforms.

Not to go off topic nor change the topic but we just signed up with Moore and Scarry as well. So far so good! It's great to work with an agency that offers more than one service. We are only 2 months into using them so times will tell. But I'm feeling good about them thus far.