• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Prospecting or Trolling: Where is your vendor line?

How many Car Dealer Sales Managers drive their reps to behave in this manner? (attack your leads until they tell you to drop dead)

I couldn't agree more (the fact that is done this way not as a valid sales strategy).

Not to disagree with all the dealers posting in this thread, I do understand the problem because even though I'm a vendor I also have vendors that call on me.

But I also remember that there is a team behind that call looking for opportunities, thinking outside the box, and a sales guy trying to make a living out of the few opportunities that he has. I get mad when I get the call but then I remember the human factor. If I don't want to buy anything new/product/service I politely retreat from the conversation. Don't let it get to you. Is just a guy trying to make a living and learning the ropes.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't have an issue with vendors noticing and engaging - I think it's a smart step. However, I think reaching out for a sale in the first call after reading something on a forum is wrong. Developing a conversation and offering value would be appreciated (and most likely the only way it would be rewarded).

I'm loving the difference in opinion and expression - Keep 'em coming!

I don't have an issue with vendors noticing and engaging - I think it's a smart step. However, I think reaching out for a sale in the first call after reading something on a forum is wrong. Developing a conversation and offering value would be appreciated (and most likely the only way it would be rewarded).

I'm loving the difference in opinion and expression - Keep 'em coming!

Kelly,

If I have to make a guess it was a new guy that just took a shoot--and he got what he got.

He will learn, or leave the business.

But to the point I was trying to make, don't be mad, we all started somewhere low-low-low.

As a vendor who is also responsible for things within a dealership, I have to say that I agree with some of this, but I'm leaning more towards what Yago is saying. Everyone has to start somewhere and mistakes are mistakes - we all make them in some way. In addition to that, I wouldn't be surprised if that particular sales tactic had worked on dealers in the past. I happen to know of a particular individual on this site who was looking for services and reached out to me personally - he mentioned that he was going with a provider who had called him based on his post and wanted my advice on the decision.

Even being has as a non-selling vendor, I have come under heat a number of times. The truth is that I am here to learn - I'm a young contender in the industry and I have much to learn.

About a week after becoming "active" I was PM'ed by a site moderator after I disagreed with their opinion on a post (may have been a coincidence in timing). I was told that if I wasn't able to play by the rules I would be kicked from the site. I promptly replied, linking to my last 20 posts and asking why I was under the heat when all I had done was ask questions or offer the limited amount of information that I am able to offer. Never got a reply.

Maybe not a relevant story, but as a vendor that was the first time I felt un-welcome to join the conversation.

The second time was when I was having a conversation about the one thing I am passionate about, dealership websites, and I was accused of slamming the competition and having no value.

Either way, it all rolls off my back, but I think that, from a vendor perspective, it's always going to be tough to join a community like this and offer help without backlash. I would never go calling someone from this forum just because they mentioned they were looking for a new dealer website, but even when I kindly reply suggesting that they choose one of my competitors, I assume my opinion holds less weight because of what I do.

I just hope to earn the respect that Yago and others have earned over their time here. There is much to learn and much to share.
That said, I hate when anyone takes something offline and calls me when the communication was started online.
Maybe that's just my generation..

As a vendor, I have always tried to take the high road. I will personally reach out to people who past an issue with a solution that I am aware of. But not with any other motive than to help solve the problem. I love social media, but use it to stay in touch and learn. It's off limits from a selling motive. I find it interesting and impressive with the line those who monitor this site have drawn on this issue, as a number of them work for vendors. Tough to do, but keeps me coming back.

LinkedIn, for me anyway, is where most of the pitches take place. They start off with "I saw your post and wanted to connect" and then go right into "the pitch" Those messages are deleted and I will not connect with them. Same goes for Twitter. It's tiring sometime.

Kelly,

Great topic. It almost always depends on how the Sales person handles their side of the conversation. The coldest of cold calls, or in your examples these digital follow ups, can seem warm if executed properly.

* Don't be a jerk and don't lie
* Prepare and get the name right!
* Ask questions and offer good ideas
* Don't be afraid to hang up without giving your pitch. <-- Super important

That last one is where over-aggressive sales folks trolling leads have trouble. The "I found a hot lead from a forum and have 2 minutes to sell my product" mentality just isn't suited for these parts. If you can avoid that, you're probably on a decent path. What is suited is the "I've shown my expertise and offered a friendly helping hand" mentality that can lead to referrals and sales.....in the longer term.

Now when I run into Kelly at a conference, we're not total strangers. When someone asks her a question about my product, I'm in the back of her mind. When I call her back two weeks later because I'll be in the area, I may get a chance to stop in.

We shouldn't be scared to say the end goal of that first friendly consultative call is a Sale though. This perspective is more "Business Development" which I believe is super important and different than pure sales.

On a similar note, Anthony from Capital GMC brought up the idea of "Persist, don't ANNOY." I've heard it a lot from other folks as well. My question is how in the world do we define this? What the heck is the difference? Where is the line? Is calling 5x in a day persistent or annoying? Is calling 5 days in a row persistent or annoying? If you're supposed to call until they "Tell you to climb a tree or buy," that inherently has to be annoying right?

Anthony, not calling you out at all because I think the intention of the phrase is good. I'm all for the hustle, persistence, and learning from rejection. That phrase just seems like a cop out though.

Mike, I like the idea of "don't be afraid to hang up without giving your pitch."
I have to say, I was upset right after a call-then I thought about my reaction and about how dealers are (or are told how to) "DO" social media. We're all here to sell something and are willing to get personal to do it. I'm enjoying seeing where everyone has their line and how they feel they work up to other's lines without crossing...