• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

they left out...

Which Smart phone users:

Didn't know what we were tailing about
================================================== 98.04%
Needed help finding it and/or adding it
===1%
Those that already hard it and know how to use it
=0.06%

I saw how big this post was AFTER I hit post - sorry, I had four cups of coffee this morning.
:)

I remember a service reminder program from the early to mid 90's where an option for switching from the then standard Snail-Mail to FAX, Pager or Email was offered to over 3 million owners. After a year or so, the database contained less than 1000 entries for those who had opted for alternative notifications. 1000 "mavericks" in the database was good for those days but really a small number compared to the more than 3 million customers in total. Back then, these modes of communication were considered a "novelty" for service reminders. The "sign-ups" were so low in number that very few saw value in offering them as anything other than a simple courtesy. The low number of consumers with a FAX, Pager or Email available and/or the lack of understanding of how to use these technologies to simplify the service experience was mostly to blame.

Sound familiar? QR codes require a smart phone and even though studies indicate that (I think I read that) half of all Americans may have one in the next year, only a small fraction of owners will actually scan our codes with them. I agree. However, there may be another angle from which we can view this.

More of the service reminder story from above is that after another year, we saw that for those customers that chose any alternative method of notification, the response rates for maintenance offerings were well above 85%, a whole order of magnitude on the measly 8% (10% on a good day) for the Snail-Mail reminders with basically the same content on paper. I also remember that the "eMinder" response rates were notably higher for customers who had contacted the dealership to correct (or even complain) about the accuracy of data and/or spelling on communications.

To me, "eMinders" from the 90's and QR codes from today have something in common - they require more customer participation in the process. To no surprise, these customers should be more responsive to our offering.

If the past is any indication of the future, QR codes should have at-least one positive effect on our business by identifying for us, those more responsive, tech-savvy and open-minded customers with the gumpsion to whip out their smart phone, load up the scanning app, point it at a car and wait for it to tell them what to do next. Isn't this customer moving themselves forward in the process?

Putting the codes on window stickers should be a pretty simple process. Sure, they're no FaceBook or Twitter when it comes to exposure, but if you could identify 3 to 10 of your customers each month which are likely to be much more responsive to your communications, what have you got to loose? Toner is not that expensive.

Last edited:
I have an issue with the "taking a photo" think too. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to point you phone at any bar code without having to load an app. There should be an "Auto Scan" OFF and ON feature that runs when the cam is not specifically being used for something else.

David, you would/could be referring to Bluetooth marketing. This is available and I would've though would have becomes much bigger than it has.

You have a bluetooth module and as phone with bt get close, it pings the phone with a message, allowing you to opt in to view the message and take the next step.

Maybe we'll see this technology resurface as bt continues to evolve and improve.

RFID tags on units.

RFID pick-up sensors placed to pickup movement thru a RFID gate, records movement from one area to another. Like moving from back of building to front, off of lot (test drive, service, etc), return to lot, into service entrance, out of service, into body shop, etc...

Potential to automate "time to retail"
Day 1). Tradein Unit is assigned stock# and RFID tag
Day 4). Unit sits "out back"
Day 5). RFID crosses into Service (seen as "In Service")
Day 7). RFID crosses out of service
Day 7). RFID crosses out back sensors (seen as "out back")
Day 9). RFID crosses into Bodyshop (seen as "In BodyShop")
Day 10). RFID crossed out of bodyshop
Day 14). RFID crosses into detail shop (seen as "In Detail Shop")
Day 14). RFID crosses out of Detail shop
Day 14). RFID crosses out to inventory area (seen as "Ready for Sale")

Joe, You need to add one step to your list:

Day 14+x). RFID crosses into service driveway (Service Advisor sees "customer arrived for appt"; Sales sees as "customer in service lounge that may want to see the new models")

Not selling anything, but check out Service Drive Concierge from My Dealer Lot. I've seen this in action at a few stores and it is really impressive.

RFID tags on units.

RFID pick-up sensors placed to pickup movement thru a RFID gate, records movement from one area to another. Like moving from back of building to front, off of lot (test drive, service, etc), return to lot, into service entrance, out of service, into body shop, etc...

Potential to automate "time to retail"
Day 1). Tradein Unit is assigned stock# and RFID tag
Day 4). Unit sits "out back"
Day 5). RFID crosses into Service (seen as "In Service")
Day 7). RFID crosses out of service
Day 7). RFID crosses out back sensors (seen as "out back")
Day 9). RFID crosses into Bodyshop (seen as "In BodyShop")
Day 10). RFID crossed out of bodyshop
Day 14). RFID crosses into detail shop (seen as "In Detail Shop")
Day 14). RFID crosses out of Detail shop
Day 14). RFID crosses out to inventory area (seen as "Ready for Sale")

But wait! there's more

Leave tag on car after the sale,

car enters lot and salesman gets a text that customer is on premises - if it a heater, maybe some managers too.

car lines up for service and pre-check sheet prints out for customers specific yr/mk/mdl. (should a welcome sign light up with the customers name here?)

car goes out for test drive after service gets logged in and out.

car goes through dealership wash bay and gets logged - this gets missed a lot.

Think of how fast an inventory count would be - maybe as fast as you can walk the lot with a reader.

I've seen them on loaner/rental or parts delivery vehicles too. (these should have GPS tracking already)

To Kevin Frye - I agree. This would be a great use for QR Codes. I recently had a conversation with a dealer and they said they were having "great success!" - until we found out that most of the scans were coming from their sales staff - I still consider that a success.

When discussing QR codes on window stickers for consumers, I think there is value in, 1.) "Scan Me For Our Specials" and 2.) "Scan Me For Pricing".

I am wondering, is there anyone out there using a texting solution and QR Codes on the same window sticker? Or did someone switch from texting to QR and saw a drop or increase?