• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

FundyCars

Green Pea
Mar 1, 2023
Awards
First Name
Cody
Hello everyone, Cody here, Canadian Honda dealer. We are planning a 5 week radio campaign along with an email/text blast. Looking for ideas for said campaign. Used vehicle focus.. looking to spend some money. Best idea thus far is; fuel for you and your vehicle, gas/grocery gift card with the purchase of a used vehicle along with a donation to our local food bank.

As an aside, we are planning on a revamped referral program. Currently we offer a $50 service credit. I'm thinking a $200-$300 credit/cash would get people a bit more excited.. maybe have people sign up for it.. just spit balling some ideas at the moment. Any feedback is appreciated!

I'm thinking a $200-$300 credit/cash would get people a bit more excited.. maybe have people sign up for it..
Canada seems to finally have some options for digital gift card rewards like Gift Card API & Rewards as a Service Leader | Tango Card
You can setup a reward system where the customer gets $XXX to spend and they choose which gift card they want - anything from Amazon to groceries to gas. I'm looking at using this in a few places where we want a more flexible reward.

Reactions: FundyCars
I saw this the other day, which was taken from some super-duper smart ad agency gent. While it doesn't directly answer your question, it's a decent framework to think about what really gets people's attention.

From our side (which is the software vendor side), we lean towards things that really get people's attention, like giving away chainsaws, guitar amps, free pies, etc.

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.24.38 AM.png

Canada seems to finally have some options for digital gift card rewards like Gift Card API & Rewards as a Service Leader | Tango Card
You can setup a reward system where the customer gets $XXX to spend and they choose which gift card they want - anything from Amazon to groceries to gas. I'm looking at using this in a few places where we want a more flexible reward.
Thank you Craigh, this sounds like a better solution than running out to stock up on cards proactively/reactively.

Reactions: craigh
I saw this the other day, which was taken from some super-duper smart ad agency gent. While it doesn't directly answer your question, it's a decent framework to think about what really gets people's attention.

From our side (which is the software vendor side), we lean towards things that really get people's attention, like giving away chainsaws, guitar amps, free pies, etc.

View attachment 7803
Good points to keep in mind for sure Matthew. Ideally, that's is the desired outcome... grab attention. The argument against using a specific item/collaboration with local business is it may alienate some customers or other local businesses(my GM thinks).

Hi Cody,

I like the idea of giving to the customer and the community. Radio is hard with limited time and the fact most people aren't in a place to take action while listening so you need an earworm. What can you say 3 times in 30 sec that's going to stick and get action?

Referral programs:
There are a few companies that will help you send out gift cards, but referral programs can be tricky. I'd make sure you have a written policy that clearly defines the process and eligibility for the buyer and the referrer and have it on your site. I've seen "multiple people referred me," the he-said-she-said of a salesperson not wanting the referral out of their commission, people finding out about money on the table weeks later and calling back to say "oh I forgot to tell you X sent me there and they want their money," "you never paid," and so many other things.

Once you have it sorted and a page on your site (which can be a hidden one), you can add the link to your thank you and follow-up marketing. We even printed business cards with a bitly link/qr code to the page. One salesperson would ask the payment the customer signed at, double it, and hand the customer that many cards and say, "Here are your first 2 payments." he was pretty successful with it. We wrote $100 checks right to the referrer, which makes sure you have all of their info and helps to account for the payment while allowing free use of the funds.

If you're going over $100, I would look at the idea you had about customers and community. Give $100 to the referrer and as part of the process, call them and ask "in addition to the check we're sending you, which of these 3 charities would you like the donation in your name made?" That should be the salesperson's call and they can use it to further prospect as well.