• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Ranking of Reputation Sites

Our Google website analytic's show 75% of mobile hits are on IOS devices, and that means the default review site is Yelp on IOS. You may not want to ignore Yelp, and like Google, they require registration. DealerRater is good for your dealer website.

Just because your website is getting a lot of iPhone visitors doesn't mean they're all using Apple Maps to find the store. I definitely agree with you that Yelp shouldn't be ignored, but Apple has yet to permeate Yelp throughout Safari.

Our Google website analytic's show 75% of mobile hits are on IOS devices, and that means the default review site is Yelp on IOS. You may not want to ignore Yelp, and like Google, they require registration. DealerRater is good for your dealer website.

Yelp on iOS maps… For now. Let's agree, that could change at any moment. I don't use iOS maps. It still sucks overall.

I don't think your are going to get much of an argument, Google is the most important. I know that your customer has to have a google account but there is any easy way to know if they do, you should have their email by the time you ask for a review, if they gave you a gmail you can target them to give you a review on google. If they don't you can send them some where else. :)

I know a lot of dealers send out an email asking for a review, I didn't like the results. Maybe it works better for the larger groups but for us it just wasn't working. It was really hard to get any sizable amount of reviews and of course the people most likely to give you a review are the ones that are upset about their experience.

I usually just have the sales person ask for it at the store. Something like "while i'm finishing up the paperwork is there any reason you couldn't give me a perfect review? if the say no great and ask them if they would mind doing it in the store, and if not you might find out something you didn't quite do right and you can fix it and possibly prevent it from getting online.

We have been doing it this way for about 4-5 months now and went from 2.5 stars to 4.2 and we are still climbing. It was really frustrating doing the email (I did an auto email and then I tried a more selective approach) way because we tend to believe we do a great job with our customers, you can't please everyone but we didn't feel like 2.5 stars!

Hey Matthew,

Welcome to DealerRefresh! I think you are going to like it here.

I want to clarify something. Are you asking them to physically write the review in-store or just asking if they'd be willing to write one for you?

Thanks, we ask if they are willing to do one and if so if they would mind doing one now, and usually they pull out the phone and do it right there, obviously you got to feel them out and not push them to do something they don't want to, but most of the time they are happy too because the ether is still flowing. It's kinda hitting them at there most excited moment so your'e going to get better reviews then 2 days later when they are at home and the newness has rubbed off a bit and they are busy doing other stuff. If anything you can use it to keep them a bit occupied while the car is getting preped or you are finishing up paperwork.

we ask if they are willing to do one and if so if they would mind doing one now, and usually they pull out the phone and do it right there...If anything you can use it to keep them a bit occupied while the car is getting preped or you are finishing up paperwork.

I was looking for a way to work the phrase "50 shades of gray" into a post for pop-cultural relevance. I don't have 50 shades for you, just 2. ;)

This is my opinion only, but I think you are somewhere in the gray spectrum with this strategy Matthew. You don't have to agree, but I do hope you'll consider the following.

Gray area number 1: Google's TOS implicitly suggests that a business should not take extra steps to insure that reviews are written in the brick and mortar. Asking them to write it now could be interpreted that way.

If you're a business owner, don't set up review stations or kiosks at your place of business just to ask for reviews written at your place of business.

Google clarified this point in their TOS around Dec 2012 after a bloodbath of review removal in August. Search the forums for "Spammy" and you'll find some lengthy discussion around review stations. I know, you aren't implementing a station or using your own devices to collect the content, but if you have an open WIFI for consumers to use it may not matter that they are on their own device from Google's perspective. Frankly, I think Google is smart enough to determine the location of the device when the review is submitted and could take action on that information in the future if they start seeing patterns they don't like. One thing we all learned about Google's TOS in August of '12 is that they apply changes retroactively. Again, I'm not trying to beat you up, but I think we all need to look at our current process through the lens of Google's past behavior. They didn't have any problem taking a ton of content down when they revised their TOS in 2012.

Gray area number 2: Requesting that a consumer write a review about their purchase experience BEFORE the experience is complete is...well...awkward at best.

There are really two things to consider. First, when does the purchase experience complete for the consumer? Is it their perception that they are "done" after negotiating a price with sales, after sitting with F&I, after being introduced to the service manager, or after the wheels go over the curb? We may feel "done" sometime before delivery, but that doesn't mean the consumer does. It isn't over for them until they pull away, so from their perspective, why would you ask them for a review of your performance before you've finished performing?

What other industry would do this? Ever get asked for a review mid-filling at the dentist? Would it be a little strange to have the front desk attendant at the Marriott hop in bed with you at 3 am with a survey request about your stay? Could a food critic review a meal having just eaten the appetizer? Could Siskel and Ebert submit a movie review on just the trailer? You get the point. Asking for a review at any point before the consumer perceives the purchase experience to have ended is asking prematurely.

Second point, and this doesn't seem to be the case with your reviews, but the VAST majority of reviews that are written in store are little more than "everything was fine." They are written hastily and provide very little actual content. Those 5 star reviews are useless white noise. We have a "was this helpful to you" button on every review on DealerRater. Guess what? Consumers that are reading reviews to help determine who they want to buy from show a strong preference for recency and written content that correlates with the star count. In other words they want an explanation for the score. If your process isn't collecting a story as well as a star count you need to rethink your process. I'd take a 4.5 aggregate score with stories that will translate to prospects over a 5 that amounted to little more than "Randy was great."

Last thought: Sorry this got so long and I hope you don't feel like I am being negative, just trying to offer a different viewpoint for you to consider. There is a treasure trove of comments on review collection process here on Refresh to search. It was an interesting trip down memory lane to read through some of the old threads from 2010. The more things change the more they seem to stay the same. The quickest and easiest answers seldom result in the best solutions.

• Useful
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Ryan those are 2 things that I am aware of (especially google I know they are smarter then me lol). I don't push them to review in the store but if they decide to right then I'm not going to stop them. For every salesperson and customer the approach is a little different, a lot of my sales people ask at the time of delivery right before the customer is going to drive over the curb. Once they drive over the curb it is really hard to get them to give you that review. Some sales people ask for it when their customers come back in for the second demonstration of their vehicles technology (in this situation most don't come back for more training). Some ask for it maybe to early in the process for some peoples liking, but the main issue for me is getting that review from a real customer and them being satisfied, if I have to change my process in the future I will. Asking for the review in person is really (IMO) the best way and it can help find out if you did something wrong in time to resolve the issue. To the people who don't decide to do it in store (which is a lot), we send them out a reminder but they have already been prepped, the sales person had told them how important it is to them for them to do a great job for them and to get that 5 star review. Your odds are so much higher in this situation then just pumping out an auto email to sold customers.

Once again Ryan thanks for the input, I know your'e the expert on this subject, I appreciate all of the input I can get.

I think they are all important, as they are all reflections of how the customer perceives we do business. If a customer is searching on Cars.com, they are going to take the reviews from Cars.com into consideration. I dont believe that they would look at a store with 2 stars showing and research to see if their DealerRater profile confirms that rating; they will simply pass. So each platform deserves a dose of reviews.

In my opinion, the one that holds the most weight is the one that the customer feels the most comfortable with using. Allow them to choose. If they are regular Yelpers, encourage them to go there. Same with Google, especially since Yelp and Google tend to be the hardest to obtain and display. Everyone else can be divided up between the other review sites. (See image).

Attachments

• reviews.png
    reviews.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I think they are all important, as they are all reflections of how the customer perceives we do business. If a customer is searching on Cars.com, they are going to take the reviews from Cars.com into consideration. I dont believe that they would look at a store with 2 stars showing and research to see if their DealerRater profile confirms that rating; they will simply pass. So each platform deserves a dose of reviews.

In my opinion, the one that holds the most weight is the one that the customer feels the most comfortable with using. Allow them to choose. If they are regular Yelpers, encourage them to go there. Same with Google, especially since Yelp and Google tend to be the hardest to obtain and display. Everyone else can be divided up between the other review sites. (See image).

"I think they're all important" - that was my initial thought and response when I first read the question.

There's no linear path to the showroom - virtual or physical. Consumers are all over the place. Most of the time they're lost - online, bouncing from one website to the next. Many times having no idea how they got to the website or page they're on. I see this every time friend or family member is on the internets. :)

Since they're all important, have a plan that allows you to obtain reviews across the board.

Emily, thanks for bringing the discussion back online.

Last edited: