• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Really debating running my own managed dealer website. Who's running their own dealer website or con

Who cares? When I search for something I don't mind being targeted... it means they are motivated to earn my business.

Google will kill SEO... they have to... it is cutting into their profit and you know that won't fly.

I'm not saying you should care about getting targeted... that is fine. What I'm saying is that majority of people will avoid ads just like we all avoid ads on TV.

BTY KCAR I don't have much else to share with you on the WP inventory code other than you can find most of it out there (listings for real state) and modify it. Following some other entries, you need to be a pretty good programer to do so. Even if I give you my code it will not work, if you do your own site you need to be ready to understand the code, make changes to it, fix it, etc.

You might be able to take a look at the code here:

https://github.com/dealertrend/wordpress-plugin-inventory-api

DealerTrend has their own WP plugin but I don't remember what it looks like or how much you can do with it. You could take a look at some of the source code here though. I imagine a lot of the actual manipulation would be on the front end though.

Reactions: 1 person
What I'm saying is that majority of people will avoid ads just like we all avoid ads on TV.

I dont think its the same. First off, on my laptop sometimes I can barely see the pink shaded area around the sponsored listings so I honestly sometimes dont even now if I just clicked on a targeted ad or not. I cant be the only one.

But also, if I want to buy a Ford, and I type it in, and someone says "Hey theres a ford dealer in San Francisco! Check us out!" theres no reason why I would ignore it just because I live 20 minutes away and theres a closer dealer available. I want to see both of them to compare.

Theres a difference in buying your way to a top of a list that I just ASKED google to formulate for me, compared to what TV ads do. That would be like me searching ford, and a random Maytag Appliance link comes up hoping to just bury info into your mind. Thats when you start skipping the ads. But when theyre relevant, people often like then.

Finally, as stated by someone else earlier, as an actual consumer, I'm starting to give MORE relevance to PPC results than organic when Im shopping! When I want to buy/research something online, Im starting to trust the PPC ads more, thinking "Hey this is a real site that Im sure delivers something valuable, because theyre offering $1-3 for me to just LOOK at their stuff! Who knows the quality of that first organic link anyway.."

I dont think its the same. First off, on my laptop sometimes I can barely see the pink shaded area around the sponsored listings so I honestly sometimes dont even now if I just clicked on a targeted ad or not. I cant be the only one.

But also, if I want to buy a Ford, and I type it in, and someone says "Hey theres a ford dealer in San Francisco! Check us out!" theres no reason why I would ignore it just because I live 20 minutes away and theres a closer dealer available. I want to see both of them to compare.

Theres a difference in buying your way to a top of a list that I just ASKED google to formulate for me, compared to what TV ads do. That would be like me searching ford, and a random Maytag Appliance link comes up hoping to just bury info into your mind. Thats when you start skipping the ads. But when theyre relevant, people often like then.

Finally, as stated by someone else earlier, as an actual consumer, I'm starting to give MORE relevance to PPC results than organic when Im shopping! When I want to buy/research something online, Im starting to trust the PPC ads more, thinking "Hey this is a real site that Im sure delivers something valuable, because theyre offering $1-3 for me to just LOOK at their stuff! Who knows the quality of that first organic link anyway.."

I don't argue that the full experience is different from TV/Internet. What I can argue is that people will learn what a commercial is and avoid it.

I understand your example about the Ford dealer close to your house if you know the area. Most people that move around or are not aware of where every Ford dealer is will not know which one is closer and will figure out quick that PPC doesn't indicate that either--every Ford dealer doing PPC will claim that are the closest to you!

By your reasoning we should trust and follow every ad from every company willing to spend money in the ad?

By your reasoning we should trust and follow every ad from every company willing to spend money in the ad?

Not really. But for the same reason that I wont follow all the organic results either.

When I search, I asked for information, and google delivers a page full of it. I just personally dont have any problem against the sponsored listings. They are usually very relevant.

In my opinion, just as you believe customers may soon learn to ignore PPC listings.. I actually believe that customers may soon learn to ignore organic IF people keep gaming the system with SEO.