• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reynolds closes modem access?

Please excuse me if I am posting this in an inappropriate thread.

I was curious as to whether or not anyone has come up with a work around for the block that third party software is experiencing. Specifically, under ERALink32 the product in question would utilize a telnet session to convey information from the software into the Reynolds system.

Is the issue just that the since the software uses a telnet emulator it would not to use an SSH connection instead? Is it a combination of Telnet-vs-SSH connectivity -AND- the address (IP?) for which it is connecting to? Otherwise, is this a moot point since these upgrades have shut out 100% of all third part software solutions?

So I'm curious, how have dealerships dealt with a workaround for software packages that have been blocked by ERAccess that once worked flawlessly under ERALink?

In addition to shutting down the telnet ports I believe R&R has changed its protocol handshaking. We knew this day was coming and created a solution that was simple to use. When ERAccess became the only official product to connect to R&R, we were able to continue our data collection operations for our dealers without a hitch.

I'm getting approval from my management to make this a general product but welcome you as a beta site if you like.

I hear that Reynolds effective...now, will charge all dealers a tidy sum for a software enhancement that exports certain data. It seems that ReyRey and another DMS provider had a cooperative deal whereby they agreed to create software to export data for the other. In a volatile dealer market where franchises are traded like baseball cards, this was a savings for many dealer groups. Reynolds will now charge a rumored 10K~15K to provide this "service" for a dealership. So far I've not heard anything similar from the other DMS provider. The service is still free. While installing software to help dealerships "leave" your DMS isn't part of "the contract" - charging dealers through the nose for your inability to compete seems unsportsmanlike. When Reynolds says it sees a bright future ahead...I don't think they mean for their customers.

I hear that Reynolds effective...now, will charge all dealers a tidy sum for a software enhancement that exports certain data. It seems that ReyRey and another DMS provider had a cooperative deal whereby they agreed to create software to export data for the other. In a volatile dealer market where franchises are traded like baseball cards, this was a savings for many dealer groups. Reynolds will now charge a rumored 10K~15K to provide this "service" for a dealership. So far I've not heard anything similar from the other DMS provider. The service is still free. While installing software to help dealerships "leave" your DMS isn't part of "the contract" - charging dealers through the nose for your inability to compete seems unsportsmanlike. When Reynolds says it sees a bright future ahead...I don't think they mean for their customers.

Whoever shows up at a dealer asking for 10k~15k for data push better wear a bullet proof vest...

We have been working with Integralink and so far very smooth. We recently asked about these new changes and they said that they have been in conversations with RR to maintain the relationship working.