• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sales People & Cell Phones

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
I want to get some feedback on how cell phones are being used by sales people. Personally, I think cell phones have become the most rude form of customer service.

#1. When you make calls to potential customers from your cell phone, usually that call can be heard by everyone on your sales floor. That means customers at a salespersons desk can hear your conversation to a potential customer.

#2. How many times, due to bad reception, have you had to repeat things to customers when speaking to them on your cell phone ?c

#3. Have you ever seen a salesperson in the middle of a sale and ther cell phone goes off ? Not only does the cell phone go off, but the ring tone is something other than a normal phone ring. One time a finance manager was doing a contract and their cell goes off and the ring tone is a cow moo-ing...

If I have an important call to make to a client / customer, I do it from my land line. You get a clear reception and since everyone has caller ID, if they pick up, they know it's my dealership.

So I think you get what this thread is about. What are your thoughts ?

There is a time and a place for it. I am not nor can I always be at the dealership, it is nice to have a way for my customers to get a hold of me if I'm not at work.

That being said, if at all possible I will try to avoid calling customers from my cell phone for the reasons you stated. Occassionaly I'll need to make a follow up call when I'm not at work and I'll use my cell, but 99% of the time a landline is availible.

I use Google Voice, and couldn't be happier. First of all it's free which is always a good thing. The number on my cards and email signature is provided by Google. Anytime it's dialed it rings at my desk, my cell and my cabin (which has no cell service). I can answer any of the ringing lines. If I don't answer at all it goes to voice mail, transcribes the call and sends me both an email and a text. I find it's a great way to improve my accessibility to customers!

Ed Brooks –Sales Director
vAuto.com
402.427.0157 Phone
630.839.8788 FAX

While cell phones may not be the most courteous form of communication (especially when in front of another customer, or on the showroom floor) they have not doubt become an absolute necessity to any good sales person or sales manager these days. We are in constant communication at our store. Weather its between staff, or with our customers, if we are not in front of a computer we better have our phones on us! I do agree that there are times i try to keep it in my pocket when working with another customer, but have often found I can use that call to my advantage during the sale. Try something like this out if you need to take and incoming call and feel that the people you are currently working with may be put off by it. Say something like "I'm sorry to interrupt what we are doing, but I sold these folks a vehicle a few months back and offered to pick up their car for its first service.....they must be ready for me to deliver it back to them" This really strikes a chord with some people. Taking a break from your sale to take care of a previous customers lets them know that they can expect the same type of service after they buy, and easily keeps you from looking like a jerk and rather a well rounded customer focused sales person. I used our service pick up and drop off as an example, but you can substitute anything in their really that gets the same point across. I do think nowadays most people are so used to having cell phones on them and using them as part of their daily lives that they don't see it as quite the bother they used to. Honestly, I think we will be selling cars on our phones in the not to distant future, just like we are selling them on the internet now!

Last edited:
Dan - why don't you train your people on when is the appropriate time to answer a phone, where the appropriate place to have a conversation is, and when you come to work your phone must be on vibrate?

A cell phone is a vital way to do business today. It will become even more vital with time.

Thanks for all the info. I did not know about Google Voice, excellent !

Alex.. I am planning on having a training class on how to market yourself on the internet & other things such as the use of cell phones.

BTW. I received the 1st reply via email. but the rest I did not get a notification.

I use Google Voice, and couldn't be happier. First of all it's free which is always a good thing. The number on my cards and email signature is provided by Google. Anytime it's dialed it rings at my desk, my cell and my cabin (which has no cell service). I can answer any of the ringing lines. If I don't answer at all it goes to voice mail, transcribes the call and sends me both an email and a text. I find it's a great way to improve my accessibility to customers!

Ed Brooks –Sales Director
vAuto.com
402.427.0157 Phone
630.839.8788 FAX

Good suggestions Ed. I like that idea.

I have a Google voice number but never got into using it since applying it on a phone without access to the Google voice app, your outgoing calls will not show your Google number but shows your actual number (unless you dial a series of numbers first). Might not be a big deal but for some reason that irritated me. Maybe they've some recent changes??

Regardless of my own hangups with Google Voice, this is a good idea for sales people that want to be sure they are not missing any phone calls.

Dan, I hear you..I find it annoying when people answer and talk on the phone when you are in a middle of a conversation with them. Even more annoying when you are in the middle of a MEETING and the GM or Sales manager and they answer the phone everything it rings. Disrespectful if you ask me.

I personally use vibrate and short high pitch NON-annoying ring tones and never answer my phone in the middle of the meeting or conversation with someone.

I also use YouMail - they too provide a voice to txt/email transcribe. It's a lot easier to read your voicemail and decide what action to take rather being rude and answering your phone every time it rings. Maybe a generation thing?

With all that being said, I WOULD NEVER be in Sales and NOT have a cell phone. Too vital!!

CELL-PHONE-ETIQUETTE.jpg