• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL Sales Reps & their personal FB

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Question: Do you have any sales reps that are actively 'working' their personal FB account?

Actively Working their FB account would mean they mention something about their work at least once a week. IMO, these are FB All Stars. Into their news feed, they intelligently mix in pics of deliveries, pics of scarce units (i.e. low mile tradein), etc.

I see an new opportunity here, but in my travels, FB All Stars are a rare breed.

Your thoughts?

I don't have many of the staff on facebook because it has become a far more personal platform in the work world (IMHO).
That said, that personal level also lends credence to the studies showing an increased trust in your Facebook friends to make good judgement calls, promote good products, etc.

I think this could absolutely be a great avenue. I do know one young guy doing it with trucks in a big truck market and he has success with the vehicles that are worth showcasing - lifted, chrome, modified vehicles get good coverage from him and his network of truck friends. The hard part is determining if those extra VDP views are resulting in sales from this source or not.

I think this could absolutely be a great avenue. I do know one young guy doing it with trucks in a big truck market and he has success with the vehicles that are worth showcasing - lifted, chrome, modified vehicles get good coverage from him and his network of truck friends. The hard part is determining if those extra VDP views are resulting in sales from this source or not.

I know you weren't saying that it is all about the VDP views Craig, but I think that success here need not be about the VDP views at all.

There are a few folks out there that are knocking the cover off the ball using Facebook to expand their reach and truly creating a following. I don't think those folks track their success by VDP views. They track them by delivered units that they know were either originated or heavily influenced by this communication medium. That's all Facebook really is, right? It is a conduit for communication that is unique and different than the communication methods most dealers are comfortable with at this point. Their is an uneasiness when dealers consider relinquishing control to allow for personal branding. Its always been done, but somehow it feels different now that it's digital.

I don't want to get the cart before the horse, but I am hoping to earn a joint breakout session at DrivingSales this year with one of the salespeople that is KILLING IT with personal branding! The stories and strategies he's shared with me in preparation for this session will absolutely be eye-opening for managers and dealers that have been hesitant to truly leverage their best assets, their people.Hopefully more to come...

Agreed on all fronts. I know the salesperson themself can probably track sales much better, but as an outsider it's much harder for me to do so. VDP views just happens to be the data I have to work with most of the time. A GET variable on his links let's me know if that person submits a lead, but tracking phone calls or other interactions is tough.

I certainly think this works though and I stand behind it 100%.
I keep telling myself that if I was in sales I would take advantage of all these avenues, but for some reason most of them never do.

If I had the tools that are available today when I was on the sales floor, there would be no stopping me.

I taught myself how to build websites using Frontpage and would advertise my website (VWrep.com) across traditional channels to build traffic - mainly my stickered out New Beetle with VWrep.com and DriversWanted logos all over it. I could go on and on about how I branded myself but that's not what this thread is about. I do know if I had Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, online Video, and easy to manage blog programs like we have today - I would never take a fresh up after the first year of being on the sales floor.

With my simple Frontpage website, after about 2 years I was attributing over 6 organic sales a month and it helped me close many more. This was 2001ish.

During my dealer visits, I usually run across a sales person that utilizing facebook at it's minimum (2 work related posts a week) to help them acquire 2-4 sales a month. With some training and upping the frequency, I believe it would be feasible to acquire 6-10 sales or more a month.

Go full-on branding across the social mediums, tie in some video, utilize an online ratings service like DealerRaters individual employee rating pages, start your own email campaign service (like EZPZ) and brand yourself as the "Go to Professional" in the local area for that make of vehicle - 10-20+ cars a every month would come easy once you had it built out with a good following.

The question I have is: do you have 2 facebook profiles? One for personal and one for professional? Or do you say "F" it and tie to the 2 together?

Reactions: ryan.leslie
...The question I have is: do you have 2 facebook profiles? One for personal and one for professional? Or do you say "F" it and tie to the 2 together?

My feed has nothing but reps personal feeds. It's all about natural engagement. I see baby pics, fishing trips, soccer games and picnics, jokes, interrupted by a delivery and a funny store photo. When the time comes, and I need a car, I've got my guy :)

I see some reps that are too salesy. Looking at their feed is like dragging fingernails across a chalk board. With the best intent, they make cheezy promos and requests for leads by promising referral payments. The same 4 people like or reply. It's just painful to watch.

Social Media has a Quality Score. It's Replies, Like and Shares.

Reps need to ENTERTAIN their audience. Likes are easiest. Shares are better, but, the strongest proof that it's working, is how many replies you get (and your mom doesn't count ;-).

Consider this.
It's a lot of work for a Rep to work their social channel. If your store has 2 or 3 star reviews, you know something is going to go wrong and blow up on your feed and destroy your investment.

You should probably find a better store ASAP.

It's a lot of work for a Rep to work their social channel.

I agree with everything except this. I don't think it needs to be "a lot of work" - it could easily be a natural extension of the social they're already doing. As you explained above in another post, it can be as simple as interjecting a few photos or events from time to time to your followers. I've seen people that just post new vehicles that come in that they like - they take their own 5 pictures and post to Facebook as "Just Arrived" with no call to action other than "Check out this sweet car". For people like me where my entire Facebook feed is cars and car parts, these posts work well.