• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Search Engine Intuitive Marketing, Behavioral Targeting, SEM, What do you use to drive traffic?

isales

Rust & Dust
Mar 23, 2013
First Name
Chris
Ever heard of Search Engine Intuitive Marketing aka SEIM? Probably not, because it's a fancy name my local ad agency came up with... so they say. However, I'm sure there are dealers who practice this form of marketing and I would like to know what you think.

Basically, they take our used car inventory and purchase keywords that match specifically to those vehicles so that when someone searches that vehicle in Google's search box the vehicle pops up in the paid search results and links DIRECTLY to the vehicle itself. I've heard others call this "dynamic inventory marketing". At first I thought, how many people actually search the vehicle of interest straight from Google... But the reports they have sent me shows that this does work. I have received many clicks on my vehicles directly from the search results page on Google. At the moment we are only doing vehicles with less than 60k miles. They can also do it for new cars.

So I'm at a fork in the road. I have to get more traffic to our website. At the moment I'm debating on where to put the bulk of my budget, and who to spend it with. My choices are Cobalt, who host our website, or our local ad agency. The local ad agency is currently doing our SEM and the "SEIM" for us. However, they are concerned about us being part of the IMR digital marketing package with Cobalt which allows GM to buy our name and geo to serve display and text ads. It seems that we have competing campaigns so the local ad agency is telling me to move my money from SEM with them and put it into behavioral targeting and also spread out the budget for SEIM to all used cars and possibly new cars as well.

But wait a minute. You can't tell me that what GM is doing for us as far as SEM goes is the best that can be done. I'm sure it's minimal and they are doing it for most other GM dealers as well so that doesn't allow me to stand out. So my theory is to continue doing SEM with the local ad agency but not target the city I reside. Let's target the BIG city 20 minutes away from us and other surrounding cities since GM is only buying the geo I reside.

OR... should I pay Cobalt to match the SEM GM is doing for us and do the behavioral targeting with the other guys as well as the "SEIM" and used and all new cars. Or should I just cancel my SEM efforts and just have the GM / Cobalt SEM campaign running. My ultimate goal is, of course, to drive more traffic to our website. Quality traffic that converts into leads. Right now we get around 4000 unique vistors per month. I would like to increase that by about 50%. I want to receive around 120 to 150 email leads per month from the website and increase the phone calls as well. Currently we get between 50 to 75 email leads per month. Am I being unrealistic?

SilverBack Advertising? There are several companies out there that already do this and do a great job of it. We are using Haystak for our inventory driven SEM.

Yes, I'm think you're being a little unrealistic with your goals. Take a look at your goals, first you want to increase from 4k visitors/month to 6k/month, but you want to double leads? Without serious design or conversion changes on your VLPs and VDPs you won't reach that 120-150 email lead range you want. Use the simple formula: Leads = Visitors * Conversion Rate. Conversion Rate is usually a constant in this formula (approx 1.25% - 1.8% currently for you).

Leads = 6000 * 1.25% = 75 Leads Low End
Leads = 6000 * 1.8% = 108 Leads High End

Increasing to 6k will only result in 75-108 email leads/month. With that said though, you might see a small bump in conversion rate (not much) from the inventory target SEM approach.

Do your AdWords keyword research before taking the plunge with this company. Research out into New Orleans and see what each CPC will run you for various terms. Then do the numbers to see how much it would cost to drive approximately 2k visitors to your site. Depends on your market, but we pay on average around $1.98 per click for inventory based keywords.

Although we drive traffic to our sites through SEM and inventory SEM campaigns, I feel there are better and cheaper methods out there to naturally drive traffic to your site.

Reactions: 2 people
As Chad said, there's a few companies that do the inventory SEM stuff. Some things you could do to get more traffic are Craigslist and some SEO. Right now you rank low on the first page for a bunch of used car searches in your area.

For example, "used cars in slidell la" gets 170 searches a month, but you rank #5. At #1 you could estimate 20-30% of the traffic, which would be a boost of 34+ visitors a month. There's also a bunch of variations of that phrase that get decent searches. You rank decently well for a bunch of phrases, so just a little improvement could make some big changes.

Just to be clear, though, your website is in need of links to be able to improve its rank. Just changing some title tags probably won't get you to the top.

Craigslist is also a great option. I have automotive clients getting 5,000+ visits from Craigslist. There's a bunch of different programs and tools for it, but the only ones I've used are Cargigi and Autofusion. I believe that Pago, a contributor here on the forums, also has a program.

Just my two cents.

Although we drive traffic to our sites through SEM and inventory SEM campaigns, I feel there are better and cheaper methods out there to naturally drive traffic to your site.

This.

We had a client recently ask us to take their site from 4000-6000 and increase leads (just in general, no specific goal).
We used a combination of AdLogic services that do what you are talking about (including generating display ads of the vehicles with real photos and live prices) and a heavy push on organic content. We saw a 40% increase in organic and got an addition ~1000 visitors from the AdLogic campaigns (around $1 / click in our region).

We managed to go from 4000-6000 visitors due to just these two things over the course of 2 months.
Now, it's important to note that this store previously had very little effort applied to the online presence.

To add to what already has been said... Before I did anything I would want to understand why my email to unique conversion rate was/is well below 2%. Looking quickly at your site I would like to make a few observations:

1. High funnel Google search for Chevy Cruze Slidell... I did not find you in SEM and in SEO you had 2 organic vehicle specific at the bottom of page 1.
a. If you have high ranking SEO and high ranking SEM Google suggest you are 14% more likely to achieve an organic conversion... Not that the Google guys are in sales mind you.
b. I would attack this search with a high value content (model) page on Chevy Cruze that included a drill down to model specific inventory.

2. Looking at your site I did not see a coupon or chat. I later found a hybrid or managed chat product that was difficult to see on a VDP. I am not a fan of busy sites; however, you might consider making chat more visible and some form of a coupon -- given it will not impact email to unique conversions.

3. SEM... SEIM: Long tail search? Low funnel wallet out customers? These campaigns can be effective if executed properly. What is your ROI? Conversion rate?

Your OEM is going to focus on brand awareness and in most cases this is a high funnel customer with a low conversion rate. I guess you need to decide if you want to play and if the co-op is worth it?... Taking into consideration co-op measure the ROI of both the OEM and Agency.

4. Craig's List: While Craig's list has been cracking down on dealers I am seeing dealers doing well with cash cars. I am not sure I feel you need to spend the money to market your entire inventory on Craig’s List.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Chris,

My son owns and operates a small PPC shop that specializes in automotive retail. He's just started it up, so he's looking for work ;-) He can do a full blown PPC audit (with no bias) and tell you where your strengths and weaknesses of your current PPC campaign and help you with choosing a PPC inventory vendor.

HTH
Joe

. If you have high ranking SEO and high ranking SEM Google suggest you are 14% more likely to achieve an organic conversion.
The top spot in paid search will get 6% of the clicks on the page with a very low click through rate. The top spot in organic gets 38% of the clicks. The second spot in organic gets 13% of the clicks and the third gets 10% of the clicks on the page. The 5th spot in organic gets the same number of clicks as the top spot in paid but has a much better CTR.

6-21-2013 10-31-21 PM.jpg

The top spot in paid search will get 6% of the clicks on the page with a very low click through rate. The top spot in organic gets 38% of the clicks. The second spot in organic gets 13% of the clicks and the third gets 10% of the clicks on the page. The 5th spot in organic gets the same number of clicks as the top spot in paid but has a much better CTR.

All good stats... I would simply add it is not just about ranking high, it is about conversions: Using the following example and assuming they rank high, I see a number of sites that handel model searches by bringing the consumer back to the .com or focus on vehicle specific.

1. Bringing a consumer back to the .com in model searches (for SEO and/or SEM) produces a result that is neither relevant or engaging. In many cases this example produces a bounce and I would submit to you that every time a customer clicks, trying to find what they are looking for, you loose 25% of potential conversions.

2. In vehicle specific results, if google caches a vdp and the vehicle is sold what happens with your site? Does it fall back to a landing page, the .com, or does it show a blank page and say, "this vehicle is not available for sale?" Does this consumer want to see a specific vehicle?... How about a call to action?

I would submit that in most cases this high funnel customer is looking to gather more information. My only point here is give them what they want and they will be more likely to move down the funnel.

Reactions: 1 person
Doug,

We're in a pretty narrow place on the internet. I wonder if the test explored:

• SERPs with branded words (vs non-branded)? (i.e. I want a cheap car vs I want a cheap toyota corolla)
  • Local vs non-local SERPs (local results & maps will skew organic stats a lot)
  • SERPs that trigger (or do not trigger) branded organic results. Our space is nearly all branded organic SERPs.

...However, they are concerned about us being part of the IMR digital marketing package with Cobalt which allows GM to buy our name and geo to serve display and text ads. It seems that we have competing campaigns so the local ad agency is telling me to move my money from SEM with them and put it into behavioral targeting and also spread out the budget for SEIM to all used cars and possibly new cars as well.

Why would local ad agency be concerned about GM running SEM branding campaigns on your behalf? The local agency's job is to launch a PPC campain that does not duplicate the OEM spend.

Sounds simple, agency obtains KW list and deploys a new campaign minus the GM KW's.

Has anyone else that has a OEM PPC campaign tried this? It looks to miss googles double serving TOS https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2600168?hl=en