• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Seeking Inspiration

john.quinn

Boss
Dec 2, 2009
Awards
First Name
John
When the chips are down, you really see what people are made of... especially Leaders.

We're certainly going through something... different? haha. New? Challenging, certainly. Panic and Fear is the norm; the common person, the common leader, gets emotional, feels panic and fear... can't see straight, can't see the light. Decisions are, at best, sketchy. Political leaders are playing the same political game they've been playing for years: today it's who can out-coronapocalypse the next guy... that's not leadership.

But that's not everybody, and I'm certain -- at least hopeful -- people reading this can share their own "We've nothing to fear but fear itself moment."

Have you recently engaged with a leader who tried to calm fear & doubt? A man or woman who tried to take the anxiety meter down a peg or two? Maybe a boss who simply shared a joke?? (laughter is powerful medicine).

The point is this: if you're not afraid, you're quite alright. And efforts to ease the fear show true leadership.

I'd LOVE to start hearing more of those stories... have any?

We are about a week and a 1/2 into self isolation and it's really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I’ve thought very hard of how I can cheer her up. I've even considered letting Michelle come inside but rules are rules!

If it makes you feel any better, my wife is six months pregnant (can greatly affect them) and I live in Western PA. I am scared sh*tless that the NY and NJ problems are headed west. I've also three kids to support through child support (not cheap) and four step kids and another biological with current wife to feed and cloth and now home educate (not that they want anything to do with my brain).

Top that off with dealers being declared non-essential in PA and I'm out over $10K / month. Yeah... no fun. Granted I'm not legally quarantined, but have decided to do so anyway for obvious reasons.

We are about a week and a 1/2 into self isolation and it's really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space with tears running down her cheeks. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I’ve thought very hard of how I can cheer her up. I've even considered letting Michelle come inside but rules are rules!

Quinn, that's no way to treat Michelle!

I was thinking about you this morning as I was getting ready for work. And then I see you posted here in the forums. I hope you and the family are doing well.

The current social tension is high. I was thinking about that a lot last night as I was trolling through my facebook feed reading posts from several friends, acquaintances and family members. It's not surprising how fear, if allowed, creeps in and takes over any rational thought. I’ve been watching this happen with several of my friends (many in position of leadership) over the last several days. Friends that I would look up to for their sense of awareness and portrayed stability. Not during these times.

Reactions: john.quinn